Disney World Excursion Solo

Newbcruiser1

Hi all,

Sailing solo on the Anthem of the Seas next month. It has a stop in port Canaveral. I don't intend on getting off the ship in the other ports, but would like to either to the Kennedy Space Centre or Magic Kingdom when in Port Canaveral. I would book either through the cruise line for "ease of traveling solo", so to speak.

Has anyone been to Disney World solo? I was there most recently a few years ago with a friend and we had a blast! I think the excitement of being there would far outweigh any awkwardness of being there alone. Any experiences?

And on a different note - any experiences with either of these excursions through the cruise lines?

Thanks in advance! :)

Newbcruiser, I have not done WDW with a cruise excursion but I have done a week at WDW solo. Absolutely do it! Even solo I had a fantastic time and the freedom to do whatever I wished without having to consult with someone else was so great. I also talked to tons of people and employees while waiting in lines or shows so I was never truly alone. ;)

I too have done a few days at Disney World solo, I loved it!

I met a woman on the bus or whatever it was moving from one park to another who was with her kids and husband. When I told her I was there on my own she gave me that look that says "you travel alone??????" but then all of a sudden she said "you may be the smartest one here!"

One of my best solo travel moments!

Enjoy & say hi to Mickey.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and for sharing your experiences!

I think I'll go for it, even knowing the excursion will only allow me 5-6 hours in Magic Kingdom! I should be able to be more efficient since I won't be dragging anyone else along with me! :)

I know MK doesn't have any rides with single rider lines at this time. Did you find that you ended up standing in line and riding alone, or did they look for solos in the existing lines and allow you to "cut the line to fill a seat" type of arrangement?

As its been three years since my last visit on land (and with a friend)... Any must-do rides? Any best-bets for getting on without too much of a wait? It will be a Monday afternoon/evening in February if that makes a difference!

Thanks once again!!!

Are you familiar with the new Fastpass+ system? Instead of issuing paper passes, rides are now reserved electronically onto your ticket. What I would do is once you get inside the park, locate a FP+ kiosk (it should show locations on the park map). You can check to see if any rides are available to be 'reserved'. This might help decrease some of your wait time at some of the rides.

Rides that don't have a single rider line will not usually sit 2 random people together but of course that's different for rides like Pirates that have rows instead of just 2 seats.

The new ride at Magic Kingdom is the Snow White themed Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. To me it's like a gentler version of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It's fun but if time is short, I wouldn't wait in a long line for it.

My favorites at MK are Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, Pirates and Buzz Lightyear. I also really like the show Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor. Also PeopleMover is one of my favorites to just relax and take in the sights. They no longer have that ride at Disneyland which I go to frequently so I always like to ride that.

Darn, now you have me wanting to go to WDW instead of my upcoming cruise! Nah, jk. I still want to cruise. ;)

Have a great time!

Or you can do as I'm doing and do a cruise with a Disney port day! Lol! :) Not quite the full Disney experience but so exciting to have both!

Thanks for your thoughts! I read about the new fast pass system but they were still on the old one when I was there. I've heard that they run out of fast passes for the popular rides early in the day (like Mine Train, Space Mountain, etc). Unfortunately our ship doesn't dock until noon and the excursion isn't until 1:30pm so I won't get there until 3:30 - probably too late for a FastPass for anything.

I was thinking of paying to access my phone data while out of country to book the fast passes from the app on my phone on the bus... Would save time once I get to the park too. From my understanding, they distribute the Disney tickets on the bus so I should be able to do it from there? Although still being at least 2:30, not sure I'll have much luck.

Do they still have the app listing the current wait times? And the big screens with the wait times outside the line-ups? I guess you can no longer get fast passes at the actual rides for an hour or so later?

I would at least like to get on Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and check out the new Mine Train!