Vista family harbor suite or dcl?

Disalvod

My wife, myself, and 3 daughters (6,4,3) are considering the family harbor suite on vista. Only hesitation is it is almost identical price for DCL veranda. We just came off NCL escape and loved it, but wished there was a bit more kids amenities for our situation (hence the family suite/dcl thought).

We have sailed carnival without kids (freedom) and had a great time.

My two questions are

1. does anyone have experience on both lines with young children to lend some perspective?

2. We live in FL and love to go to disney often... and the carnival itnerary and accommodations look amazing ... simply put- Vista suite or DCL veranda?

This is a great question, one that I'm pondering myself. We've only ever done two cruises. One on Carnival 8-9years ago (Destiny out of San Juan) with no kids and a three day DCL with kids. We had a great time on both. While the amenities on the Destiny (I think it has a new name now) didn't come close to any DCL ship, it sure looks like the Vista will compare. My biggest question when trying to decide on our next cruise choice (Vista or DCL Fantasy) with kids is what will the atmosphere be like away from the dedicated kids activities. Also, what will the evening shows be like? We found the party atmosphere on the Destiny great and fun for us as a couple but not necessarily would it have been the best with young kids. Also the evening shows were more adult geared on the Destiny. On DCL it was all about a great family environment with areas adults could go off on their own. The evening shows were amazing for all ages! However in our price comparisons, similar cruise durations and room types, Disney is almost $4,000.00 more (group of 8). I'm by no means a cruise expert ! But money was not an issue, I would do the DCL, but at such a difference I struggle to decide.

Having sailed both I would definitely say if the price is the same on CCL and DCL for a family, I would most definitely choose DCL. Disney is geared especially for families. Their shows are extremely good, kid clubs are fantastic, and the aqua duck is a blast. I would recommend the Fantasy, our nephews had a blast on it. The Muppet Caper game is great family fun. Rotating between dinning venues is unique to Disney as are the fireworks. And best of all the, the all adult area is pure bliss!

Edited by TrolleyGirl

Are these apples to apples cruises? I'm completely shocked if they are because our last DCL Fantasy cruise, (7 night Western Caribbean), was double what we are paying for our upcoming 8 night Mediterranean on the Vista. Both cruises are 2 connecting insides. Be that as it may, if you can get the same price for equal cruises I'd put your deposit money on DCL in a heartbeat.

They are fantastic when it comes to kids activities and family programming. The rotational dining through the 3 MDR's is great because your servers stay with you the entire time. The servers will also cut up your children's meals if they need assistance and they really treat them great.

The ships themselves are beautiful, I prefer the Dream and Fantasy over the Magic and Wonder but all are spectacular.

Also, if it matters to you there is nowhere on the ship that smells of smoke with the exception of one small area on the top deck adult only section. There is one other area somewhere that allows smoking but I've never run across it.

I do think the Vista looks like she has way better food choices than any of the Disney ships and am really looking forward to the water park and other activities on the top deck.

The DCL deck parties and Pirates in the Caribbean party with fireworks are awesome. The activities staff also does a great job with daytime programming to keep the whole family busy all day long. My family of 4 spends about 90% of our time together doing activities. If you go to disneycruiselineblog.com you can find almost all the daily navigators for all ships and itineraries. They list all the activities throughout your cruise.

If you are the slightest Disney Parks fan, you'll go nuts over DCL. If they had a ship on the west coast I'd be on it every 3 months.

I am looking forward to our Vista cruise because quite simply she looks like an amazing ship, I just wish I would have been able to score a Havana Cabana Suite.

Great feedback. Thank you.

Yes, apples to apples"ish".

The Vista would be 8 day southern carribean disney fantasy is standard 7 day eastern itinerary. I've been to most of the eastern and western carribean ports, but the southern looks exciting.

Also, the Vista would be in a suite with family harbor access and the disney fantasy would be a verandah.

So from what we are hearing our whole dilemma is suite/better room and better itinerary or better programming for families and better service.

I have to wonder how the family area will be on vista. Also, the cove balcony sounds intriguing.. many people on here say great things about the cove.

Great feedback. Thank you.

Yes, apples to apples"ish".

The Vista would be 8 day southern carribean disney fantasy is standard 7 day eastern itinerary. I've been to most of the eastern and western carribean ports, but the southern looks exciting.

Also, the Vista would be in a suite with family harbor access and the disney fantasy would be a verandah.

So from what we are hearing our whole dilemma is suite/better room and better itinerary or better programming for families and better service.

I have to wonder how the family area will be on vista. Also, the cove balcony sounds intriguing.. many people on here say great things about the cove.

So now you are making me have a change of heart because of the extra day and the Southern Itinerary on the Vista. Man that's a tough one, I think I'd still take DCL but I don't know. Is the Fantasy, Magic or Wonder?

We traveled the Med on DCL in 2013 with 6, 8 year old. This year we'll do the Carnival Vista for the Med.

I say for that age DCL is just so much more enchanting and magical for kids with all the characters and extra kid friendly touches.

You certainly do pay for all those touches, though! Our CCL Med cruise plus international air is less than the DCL cruise 3 years ago (both deluxe Oceanview)