Snorkel Excursion Recommendations

strachan01

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to give recommendations on some snorkel excursions in Cozumel. I would love to snorkel in some great reefs, however the only real excursion i can see is the 3 reef snorkel by boat. Would anyone recommend this, or is there some better independent excursions i can try?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Fraser & Anna

Snorkeling from the shore in Coz is easy and cheap at the Money Bar -- about a $10 cab ride from the piers, good facilities, no admission fee, rental gear and guides if you need them. Many of the small tour boats bring their customers to the same area -- wear a brightly colored rash guard or t-shirt for safety.

We snorkeled with Eagle ray a couple of years ago and were happy -- usually a savings over snorkel tours through the cruise line.

If this helps you owe me a pint of "heavy" :D

Snorkeling from the shore in Coz is easy and cheap at the Money Bar -- about a $10 cab ride from the piers, good facilities, no admission fee, rental gear and guides if you need them. Many of the small tour boats bring their customers to the same area -- wear a brightly colored rash guard or t-shirt for safety.

We snorkeled with Eagle ray a couple of years ago and were happy -- usually a savings over snorkel tours through the cruise line.

If this helps you owe me a pint of "heavy" :D

Thank you very much! will definitely look into it.

Well.... if you are ever over in Scotland and fancy a game of golf then i will have no problem buying you a wee heavy ;)

Fraser

One of my dreams is a couple of weeks of golf in Ireland and Scotland, with a few pints every night to take the sting out of my poor golf skills. Unfortunately my family and work keep getting in the way. :o

Cozumel has fabulous reefs, but most of them are too deep for great snorkeling and they are far from shore. All of the boat snorkeling tours go to the few reefs that are shallow enough for you to see something. Those all have great coral and fishlife.

My point.. do a boat trip if you want to see fish. If you do a 3-reef boat trip you will get to see the best snorkeling available in Cozumel.

You can snorkel off Money Bar, but it is only a small rubble field with a little coral. It is okay if you only want a little snorkeling. If you want to see lots of fish and great coral, go out on a boat.

FYI -- I am a scuba diver for 15 years, 500+ dives with over 200 of them in Cozumel waters. There is a reason I dive so much in Cozumel. (see my photos and videos on my website listed below)

Cozumel has fabulous reefs, but most of them are too deep for great snorkeling and they are far from shore. All of the boat snorkeling tours go to the few reefs that are shallow enough for you to see something. Those all have great coral and fishlife.

My point.. do a boat trip if you want to see fish. If you do a 3-reef boat trip you will get to see the best snorkeling available in Cozumel.

You can snorkel off Money Bar, but it is only a small rubble field with a little coral. It is okay if you only want a little snorkeling. If you want to see lots of fish and great coral, go out on a boat.

FYI -- I am a scuba diver for 15 years, 500+ dives with over 200 of them in Cozumel waters. There is a reason I dive so much in Cozumel. (see my photos and videos on my website listed below)

Thank you,

We have opted to go for the FE catamaran and snorkel excursion. We do like to Scuba dive too but as we are not certified divers we are limited to the discover Scuba course each time, this year we have decided to do that with 'Go Pro Cayman' when we are in Grand Cayman, look forward to it!

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week and did the Columbia and Palancar reefs excursion with a catamaran and it included food and a beach break at Playa Mia. The snorkeling was excellent. Saw lots of coral, fish, a barracuda or two, a sea turtle and a ocean sunfish. The trip was great but it is not easy. We had heavy winds and the current is fast so be prepared to work. It's worth the effort. We all agreed the Columbia reef was the best for snorkeling. Also did Sergeant's Caye at Belize, which was more personal service but the boat and beach break were not as good.