Things to di in Palermo

ellieocb

Whenever answering this question we simply recommend that the poster Google "Catacombe dei Cappucino" and read about that macabre (but fascinating) place. We have gone there by simply walking from the port into town and catching a local bus. It is also reachable by taxi (at more cost). Combining this attraction with simply walking around the downtown area (which is within walking distance of the port) can make for a fun day.

Hank

If I was going to spend a full day and stay in Palermo, the things I'd most recommend would be a visit to the Cappella Palatina (with beautiful Norman architecture and mosaics) and the Catacombe as recommended by Hank above.

If you have time, a quick visit to the ornate Palermo Cathedral is also interesting.

Unfortunately, the thing I most want to visit in Palermo is their Archaeology Museum which has been closed for renovations for at least 5-6 years now, maybe longer.... :mad:

If you wanted to go something outside Palermo, I highly recommend a visit to Monreale, site of a cathedral, monastic buildings, and episcopal palace with beautiful architecture, mosaics, etc in a style that mixes western (Norman) and eastern (Arab).

• 5 months later...
Whenever answering this question we simply recommend that the poster Google "Catacombe dei Cappucino" and read about that macabre (but fascinating) place. We have gone there by simply walking from the port into town and catching a local bus. It is also reachable by taxi (at more cost). Combining this attraction with simply walking around the downtown area (which is within walking distance of the port) can make for a fun day.

Hank

Would love to do this on my own but my wife will be scared to death if i took her there haha

This is a very informative thread on Tripadvisor on Palermo. I am prioritising Capella Palatina, the Cathedral and a few other locations in the centre of Palermo. Looks to be a very interesting city.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k9074541-Hidden_gems_of_Palermo-Palermo_Province_of_Palermo_Sicily.html

Palermo is interesting and chaotic in some ways. My husband is originally Sicilian and we have been there a couple of times independently. But if I was there on a cruise I would go on a tour, either ships or private, as so much time is wasted getting around. The traffic is unbelievable in the two peak hours a day. Monreale is a great place to go as are the other places suggested.