Authentic Local Food

travelnteach64

You will be in the Yucatan, which has its own style of food. The signature dish is usually considered to be cochinita pibil, a slow-cooked pork dish.

However, there is not much world cuisine unavailable in the US these days.

You will get a slightly better exchange rate using pesos instead of dollars, and it is IMO respectfull to the country and its citizens. This is a heavily touristed port, so both cash dollars and pesos, and credit cards are accepted.

My suggestion is to ride the bus into Progreso from the dock (you have to as its the only way to get to Progreso. Once there either hire a cab for the day and hire them to take you to Merida or walk up to the Autoprogreso bus station and catch the express bus to Merida. Have the cab take you Plaza de la independencia, this is in the center of Merida. The bus will drop you off a couple blocks south, they have maps available there. Take sometime to walk around the plaza and enjoy the sights. At around lunch time head three blocks north, not a long walk, on Calle 62 to Calle 55 and have lunch at "La Chaya Maya". They serve only Yucatan food there (as authentic as it gets). Once you have finished your wonderful meal there, head back to the plaza and make a stop at "Dulceria y Sorbeteria Colon" for some of the best ice cream you will ever have; try the corn or the guava. From there head back to Progreso by cab or bus. My wife and I did this, by bus, and still talk about the day we had. You can exchange dollars for pesos in Merida or you can use your dollars, either way your change will be in pesos. Have a great time!

Chaya Maya is a good recommendation. There are two locations, one on Calle 62, two blocks north of Plaza Grande (Independence Plaze) and the other on Calle 55 between Calle 60 and 62 opposite Parque Santa Lucia. The only problem with Chaya Maya is that they do not take reservations, and can be crowded at lunch.

An important part of Yucatecan cooking is seafood. If you do not want to take the bus into Merida, you can try Flamingos. It is about 5 blocks east of the pier on the Malecon (beachfront street) in Progreso. They have fresh fish, shrimp and ceviche. My favorite is their sopa de mariscos (fish soup) with fish, shrimp and octopus or squid. They also have non-fish dishes on the menu, but I cannot evaluate them since I usually have seafood.