Coxen Hole nearest beach???

Frenchsnowhite

The absolute nearest beach to the pier would be at Maya Key Private Island. The excursion through NCL was $65 pp which included transportation, lunch, (alcoholic beverages are extra), and use of the facilities but the boat literally leaves from across the gangway for about a 3 minute ride to Maya Key. I'd do it again as the beach was beautiful and right there, the snorkeling is the best I've done as it was for many others I spoke too. The island has refuge animals that you can observe, good facilities, and plenty of chairs with 2 ships in port. What is appealing to me is that there are no "hawkers" on the beach trying to sell their wares. It was large enough that you could find "room" to yourself also.

They also have shark, stingray, and sea lion encounters for add'l $$$. We didn't do that but you can still observe from the trail that rings the island.

It was a nice day. It poured rain for about 20 minutes which literally cleared the beach of 75% of the people and then the sun came out and we had a really really private beach.

• 2 months later...

Wow that does not seem cheap for a beach trip. it seems that booking a private tour is the way to go for 7. For 25 a person they will drive you around and take you to and from the beach. There does not seem to be a beach you can just walk to so you have to pay a taxi. Which is where the driver comes into play, might as well get a private and guarantee ease of travel. Whether Rony (who I am using) or Bodden, thats the route Id take.

We are on a very very tight budget for this cruise.

Looking for a cheap way to go to the beach our group of 7.

Where would that beach be???

There's a beach at walking distance, mostly used by locals. It's free, but no services other than the bars and shops along the road. No chairs, etc. Probably not what you're looking for, although it's free.

Otherwise the nearest beach on the main island is probably Las Palmas, their site is http://laspalmas.hn/ - I've never been there though, I have no idea what it's like.

All you need to do is exit through the cruise ship dock out to the main road. You can hail down a taxi or taxi bus and ask them to take you to Beachers in West Bay. It's the best beach in the west end of the island. I say Beachers because they have free beach chairs if you buy a drink or something to eat and they normally have 2 for one drink specials. But you can go to any place along west bay beach for nothing but taxi fair. Key is to negotiate your taxi ride at the start. Or you can go to Half Moon Bay beach in west end by taxi and enjoy the day there. Both places are about a 15 minute drive from the dock.

To be clear, the beach that someone is referring to that is right near the Coxen Hole Port is not really the beach you are thinking of when you think of Roatan. The port is on the south side of the island, the beach is therefore a different kind of sand and a much different water and experience. If you want the typical Caribbean beach, you will want to be elsewhere.

Simply go out, get a taxi- agree BEFORE getting inside on the price and confirm the price three times! Have them take you to West End or West Bay. West End if you ALSO want to walk around, shop, etc. It is more of a village with a nice beach. If you want to just do the beach, West Bay is the beach we are famous for. they can take you to Beacher's as someone said- easy, you can buy food and/or drinks and use their chairs.

West Bay is further than West End so the taxi rate will be higher to get there.

• 5 months later...