An Escape review including The Haven.

Brownie111

Great review, Brownie!

On the transatlantic I was also in a Haven suite on deck 12 forward. For the duration of the cruise, I felt very removed from the Haven proper and wouldn't choose that suite again. Also it was a very loooooooong walk from the elevator to my cabin. It was like the corridor that wouldn't end lol.

Did you have an opportunity to meet the Haven bartender, Mark McArthur? We just loved him. An expert cocktail craftsman.

Tracy

We did have a chance to meet Mark the bartender and truly enjoyed chatting with him and you are right, he is quite a mixologist. His attitude and service truly helps make The Haven a real treat.

Thanks for posting the review! I have a question about children in the Haven. We are booked for January of 2017 and traveling with at least 2 other families that also have children. We've all booked Haven. How many kids (if any at all) did you see in the Haven area of the ship?

Yes, there were kids in the Haven and they ranged from small kids to teenagers. I can also report that they were very well behaved and not a problem. I noticed a couple of comments in earlier posts on other cruises they thought they were a little crazy but we did not experience that at all.

Good to know!

What are the hours of the Haven Lounge; specifically, bar service?

We were on the Escape in December. Mark and Branko at the Haven bar were great bartenders! Crafted amazing cocktails and were very knowledgable with a lot of personality. The bar was a popular place to hang out, with a lot of comraderie among the patrons.

Yes, there were kids in the Haven and they ranged from small kids to teenagers. I can also report that they were very well behaved and not a problem. I noticed a couple of comments in earlier posts on other cruises they thought they were a little crazy but we did not experience that at all.

I think that it's the luck of the draw whether you have many kids, well-behaved kids, well- behaved adults, and the like.

Only time I was a bit annoyed was when a hot tub was occupied by 3 kids and parents. They decided to make it their own; each child had floaties or water wings. It was a raining day, so the tubs were in demand.

I know, it was their cruise, too! :-)

A quick question. I have read in other reviews and posts that there seemed to be an abnormal amount of rocking/listing of the ship due to a possible inoperative stabilizer? Did you experience any unusual rocking more than normal?

AS for the opinions of dress attire, it is a matter of respect and how you were raised. I was taught to dress according to the location & situation that you are in. I would not wear shorts for a job interview, nor would I wear shorts into a nice restaurant. If you want to wear shorts into a nice restaurant, then do so, but accept the ridicule that comes along with the appearance that you are presenting. Everyone is open to their own opinion and are sometimes judged by their 1st appearance.

With respect to the ship rocking... pretty minimal because we had calm seas. We did have one night while we were sleeping that I noticed we had some pretty rough seas and I did notice some pretty good rocking. We were on Deck 12 so it makes me wonder if the height of the ship creates a little more movement?? Not a nautical guy and not an engineer so this is merely a guess.

By the way, I agree with the comments here regarding appropriate dress. I was clearly not intending to create a firestorm with regards to the dress at night at the speciality restaurants. It is merely an opinion of mine that if you go to a nice restaurant, men should wear long pants and a collared shirt. Trust me, nobody loves shorts more than me and I wear them literally all year long due to the fact I live in Phoenix. In fact, I am wearing them right now! There are many times I wear shorts to restaurants in Phoenix but they are Mexican restaurants, micro breweries, Chili's, etc. When I go to an upscale restaurant I wear long pants and a collared shirt because I feel it is appropriate. Would I prefer to wear shorts everywhere? Sure, but I don't if it is more of an upscale restaurant like the specialty restaurants on the ship. Bayamo's does require long pants for men and I am just surprised it is not applied everywhere.

Once again, anybody can wear what they want and be as comfortable as they desire to be and I have no problem with that. In my opinion, if they want to dress down at dinner go the the buffet or someplace like O'Sheehan's. Both have very good food and both are clearly more casual and casual attire. Trust me, if there was a night I did not want to get appropriately dressed for dinner and I wanted to wear shorts, this is exactly where I would go. Just an opinion on my behalf. and as "Alligator" states, it is a matter of respect and how you were raised.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Thank you for your review. I'm thinking about booking a Haven Suite on the Getaway. Does the included UDP allow you to eat at a specialty restaurant every night? I read one review which said that it only allows you to eat at a specialty restaurant 4 times during a 7 night cruise.

The UDP is long gone the current promo is called the SDP (specialty dining plan)and its for a set number of nights. Pretty sure the current one is for 4 nights.

If you book a Haven room you can still dine in the Haven any and all nights if you choose.