First Cruise Disappointment... need help

amad01

If you want to "eat like pigs" and simply relax, I don't think that a cruise is your best choice. You may want to spend some time in Vegas instead.

Most cruise lines offer lots of dining choices, but the vast majority of the food choices, at least on the mass market cruise lines, is not high quality. Cruise line dining now primarily consists of opening a can or preparing a mix. Simply way too much emphasis on low-cost and low-quality pre-prepared and processed food.

This is what I am afraid of. I live in south florida so we can go to some decent beaches and nice restaurants here for much cheaper, but we loved being on the ship in the ocean and seeing the different ports. I guess I just had way too high of expectations for how the food would be on the boat. I felt standards should be at least at the same level as golden corral or any standard buffet or a $10 meal at chillis or applebees. But it wasn't even comparable. Thanks for your reply.

I have to say as a foodie , cruise line food is never exciting or chef driven . However to say "Cruise line dining now primarily consists of opening a can or preparing a mix. " or that it doesn't reach the standards of golden corral is very very far from my experience . Frankly I always recommend cruising as a perfect opportunity " to "eat like pigs" and simply relax" . I have not experienced NCL as their non-pay restaurants have the worst reputation among cruise lines .

Thank you for the recommendation! I have my eye on a 7 day Eastern Caribb. on Regal at the end of march that I am really considering.
Regal had the best buffet by far on any of our cruises . MDR was average which is to say equivalent to decent institutional food like a good country club or banquet hall.