So confused...Alesund and Bergen Fjords

cigloo

I am so confused and maybe I have done too much reading but I am still stumped as what to do in Alesund and Bergen. We are on a Regent cruise that stop in both of these places. Alesund from 12:00pm to 8:00pm and Bergen from 9:00am to 9:00pm.

The dilemma is we want to get on a boat and go see the Fjords. In Bergen we don't have time to do the big loop (train/Flam/Fjords). Timing gets us back 15 minutes before ship sails which is way to close.

In Alesund we have heard we can drive to Geiranger take a boat ride for an hour and then drive back. Seems like a lot of driving for just an hour.

Which of the two ports would you try and do the fjords in, would you do them in both and if so with whom?

Thanks!

First of all go pour yourself a glass of wine. Now open a new document in Word and get ready to copy and paste. I-Cruiser who lives in Alesund has generously shared his wealth of information. This weekend I went through 64 pages. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1969271

It is beyond awesome reading.

We are going to both ports also in June and have Alesund figured out--we are renting a car and going to see the Trollstigen Road and then see Mt Aksla and hopefully have some time on Alesund waterfront to get some shots.

Edited by linderbelle

I am so confused and maybe I have done too much reading but I am still stumped as what to do in Alesund and Bergen. We are on a Regent cruise that stop in both of these places. Alesund from 12:00pm to 8:00pm and Bergen from 9:00am to 9:00pm.

The dilemma is we want to get on a boat and go see the Fjords. In Bergen we don't have time to do the big loop (train/Flam/Fjords). Timing gets us back 15 minutes before ship sails which is way to close.

In Alesund we have heard we can drive to Geiranger take a boat ride for an hour and then drive back. Seems like a lot of driving for just an hour.

Which of the two ports would you try and do the fjords in, would you do them in both and if so with whom?

Thanks!

You can do Geiranger. You will have to drive 1,5 hrs each way but since you are in port from 12-20 you will have time. Lets say you will have 6 hrs. 3 hrs driving and 3 hrs in Geiranger which is more then plenty.

In Bergen you can do a 3 hrs tour to Mostraumen and Osterfjord.

http://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/fjordcruise-bergen-mostraumen-p838433

There are 10 am departures.

• 4 weeks later...

If this is your first visit to Bergen I would do the funicular railway which starts from close by the harbour. We usually ride up and walk down you might want to ride both ways to maximise your time.

The Hanseatic houses by the Harbour are worth exploring .

Bergen has much greater opportunities for shopping than most places in Norway but if you can resist that you could take in the Fantoft Stave Church reachable by the light railway system.

We have done the long drive (actually did a loop) from Alesund to the Hellysylt, then drove onto the ferry which went across the Fjord to Geiranger and then up the windy mountain road (some of the best views in Norway) and back to Alesund. But our ship was in Alesund for a long day (we did not depart until 10pm) so we had plenty of extra time margin. It was a fun day, but very long. And we froze our booties off on that Ferry since it was a chilly day.

One interesting thing was that although just about everything is super expensive in Norway, the rental car was quite reasonable. Basically had an all day tour for about $200 (price for 2).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner