Adriatic Explorer/Croatia?

Ok first post hope I'm doing it right.

Going on our first ever cruise in May. Sailing on the Thomson Dream - Adriatic Explorer. Visiting the ports of Split and Dobrovnic, Croatia. As it is the Croatian Kuna, was wondering were best to exchange Stirling. In the uk before we sail, on the ship or does the ports have either a bureau exchange or a bank nearby? Any advice would be appreciated. Also is it a lot cooler on deck then on land? am hoping to be able to do a spot of sunbathing. Thanks

Either do as shellsailor suggests get money changed on shore or get some before you go from the likes of M&S or the Post Office which generally have good rates on the High Street with no commission charged. If you happen to have a Halifax Clarity Credit Card you can draw out cash from an ATM at any of your ports without a transaction charge (Nationwide also have one which I think in the past has also been recommended) . But whatever, don't use the ship's money exchange service as the rate is really poor. (Although for a small amount and for convenience it's perhaps not worth bothering about the poor rate.)

I would agree with Kruzseeka to get your money before you go.......if you have an M & S Premium Club card you will get a preferential rate which is even better! They have Kuna in stock so instantly available....:)

We did two weeks last year in the Adriatic on Celebration and it was wonderful! :)

I was watching BBC1 Rip Off Britain Holidays the other day and the money expert said the only currencies worth buying in advance are dollars and euros, he said with all other currencies it's better to buy them in the country you're going to. I was surprised by this but I wonder if this just applies to if you're staying for a week or two and not just a day trip.

I was watching BBC1 Rip Off Britain Holidays the other day and the money expert said the only currencies worth buying in advance are dollars and euros, he said with all other currencies it's better to buy them in the country you're going to. I was surprised by this but I wonder if this just applies to if you're staying for a week or two and not just a day trip.

Not sure about that but I do know our friends who holiday in Tenerife frequently always buy their currency from the exchange bureaux once there and say it's better than they could get here.

Coming back to the Halifax Clarity card we discovered we had a very much better exchange rate on that (the bank rate?) than what we'd bought before we went - the High Street rate hadn't changed hardly at all during that time.

They do however charge interest from the day of withdrawal of cash but at 12.9% p.a. last time I checked - that's only a smidgen over 1% for a month so as long as you pay off the credit card as soon as you can, the charge will be negligible. Much better than some ATM flat transaction charge of perhaps £2.50 - not great on a withdrawal of £100 but terrible if you've only taken out £10!

We try to use our card for as much as possible on shore to preserve our cash. Last time we were in Dubrovnik I think we used it to pay to walk the walls, go up the cable car and for drinks at the Café at the top of the cable car. The first time we went they seemed to deal only in Kuna but € were widely accepted the last time we went. The taxis from the port to the Old Town charge in Euros.