Rome to Civitavecchia. Train Timeliness

Hi,

I've seen some comments of trains running late, with the biggest concern being strikes. I've had just the opposite experience, in that trains have been very timely for me in other parts of Europe, but I realize this is anecdotal. In general, how timely (on time) are the trains from Rome to Civitavecchia? We're considering the EuroStar as it will make fewer stops, is faster, and my impression is that it is more punctual. Question 2: If we have to be back on board by 6:30, what would you recommend as the last scheduled train arrival time in Civitacecchia, e.g. is a train arriving at 6:00 safe enough (regardless of if it is a regional train, IC, or EuroStar)?

Thanks in advance for your help. Please respond only if you have made this particular trip yourself.

We took the regional train (Trenitalia) in Sept. from Civitavecchia to Rome and back. Both departures were on time...8:12 am and 4:35 pm. Arrival in Rome was 10 minutes late and arrival back in Civitavecchia (5:50 pm) was on time. I was impressed with the service and at 9E for a return ticket, which included subways and buses in Rome, it was quite a bargain. (The IC Plus schedule didn't work for us due to the infrequency of the trains in the morning.)

If you need to be on board by 6:30, I would aim for being in Civ. no later than 6 p.m. .... Celebrity's last shuttle was at 6 and it was a 10 minute walk to the port entrance to catch it (although it did wait an extra 15 minutes for latecomers.) There were several taxis waiting at the station.

I've never had a problem with the train running late rom Rome to Civ. I did however had a problem with a train running from Florence to Livorno stopped in Pisa and never stopped again. We got nervous because we were getting close to the time the ship was to leave and ran outside to grab a cab.

When we got to the ship they announced that many people were late from the trains and it would be an additional two hours before we left.

We took the train last week from Rome to Civitavecchia and it was almost an hour late. We had hoped to catch the 4:20something from St. Peter's stop and it came around 5:10. Personally, I wouldn't cut it so close as arriving at 6 for 6:30 sailaway as you still have a 10-15 minute walk to port shuttle.

Yes but the cost is 12E instead of the 4E and it only shaves off 15 minutes. 45 instead of like an hour!!!

All the trains, IC, Eurostar, Regional can all be booked on the www.trenitalia.com website however I have been reading that you do not need to pre-book the IC or Regional trains and that they run like every 30 minutes from Termini

• 4 months later...

Archived