Elephants and other animals

Priya2

Is it just me who cringes at the idea of tourist rides on captive Elephants? These tragic animals are chained up from infancy instead of moving freely in a herd as is their nature. They are highly social animals, who live as long as human beings in family groups. There is a lot of cruelty to captive animals in the tourist trade, and however 'kind' a mamute is, no Elephant can be healthy and content living life in this kind of captivity. Their nature is social cooperation and having strong bonds with family members of their own kind. The females play auntie to each others young, they help each and grieve a death of any member of their group. They shouldn't be kept prisoner without a family for their long lives, spent carting tourists about, or chained, so they don't run away.

Then there are the young monkeys torn from their mothers, and the iguanas, be out in the sun all day, dehydrated and, in the case of the monkeys, without the proper mothering they need, so that tourists can have their photographs taken with them.

There are of course other poor creatures abused in this way too.

For anyone interested, this is some information about http://www.elephantsforever.co.za/elephant-emotions-grieving.html#.VqKO76_fWrU

Is it just me who cringes at the idea of tourist rides on captive Elephants? These tragic animals are chained up from infancy instead of moving freely in a herd as is their nature. They are highly social animals, who live as long as human beings in family groups. There is a lot of cruelty to captive animals in the tourist trade, and however 'kind' a mamute is, no Elephant can be healthy and content living life in this kind of captivity. Their nature is social cooperation and having strong bonds with family members of their own kind. The females play auntie to each others young, they help each and grieve a death of any member of their group. They shouldn't be kept prisoner without a family for their long lives, spent carting tourists about, or chained, so they don't run away.

Then there are the young monkeys torn from their mothers, and the iguanas, be out in the sun all day, dehydrated and, in the case of the monkeys, without the proper mothering they need, so that tourists can have their photographs taken with them.

There are of course other poor creatures abused in this way too.

For anyone interested, this is some information about http://www.elephantsforever.co.za/elephant-emotions-grieving.html#.VqKO76_fWrU

I have ridden an elephant, once in Thailand. I have read that serious accidents can happen and that there is a risk in riding the animals.

I suggest giving it a pass.

I couldn't agree more! I am weary of visiting Thailand in general.. any animal attraction I look up (we love animals) is rated as abusive to animals save for a few sanctuaries. It's such a shame. Your descriptions are even mild! Elephants are beaten brutally as youngsters in order to crush the spirit and encourage submission so they can be ridden by tourists. It's tragic.

Reports today of a Scottish tourist thrown from an elephant and trampled to death - in Koh Samui....Sad all round I think...

As one of the wildlife charities said in the aftermath of this. They are wild animals, not meant to be ridden "if you can ride a wild animal, pet it, or have a picture taken with it, its kept with cruelty"!