Which side of ship

carlp

Also, regarding the comments above about the captain making every decision. I think there is some confusion there. The port controls where a ship goes. The captain doesn't get to arrive at, say, Cozumel and decide he's going to dock at the downtown pier when his company has arranged space at the International, for example. The captain can certainly decide which direction to pull the ship in, forward, or back, but I don't think the choice is his at which pier he can go to (and I would also say I doubt he can decide to which side of the pier either, unless it's known that it won't have an affect on another ship arriving later).

This was never the question nor any source of confusion. It was always only whether or not he would dock bow or stern in, or port or starboard to the specific pier (which is side specific) he was directed to. Not which dock location on an island or which side of the pier he would choose. Of course that is not his decision.

And to further clarify in case it is necessary, my separate comments about Falmouth are in relation to the pier that was designated there for Oasis class ships.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

This was never the question nor any source of confusion. It was always only whether or not he would dock bow or stern in, or port or starboard to the specific pier (which is side specific) he was directed to. Not which dock location on an island or which side of the pier he would choose. Of course that is not his decision.

And to further clarify in case it is necessary, my separate comments about Falmouth are in relation to the pier that was designated there for Oasis class ships.

Posts above, by you as well as others, seem to indicate you believe the captain gets to make all those decisions. When, where, which side of a double sided pier, bow in, stern in. I believe the captain has the decision of whether to dock bow first or stern first and that's about it, the port will assign which side of a double sided pier, or which pier.

Posts above, by you as well as others, seem to indicate you believe the captain gets to make all those decisions. When, where, which side of a double sided pier, bow in, stern in. I believe the captain has the decision of whether to dock bow first or stern first and that's about it, the port will assign which side of a double sided pier, or which pier.

Re-read my posts. That is all I've ever said - bow in, stern in, starboard or port side to assigned side of pier. Nothing more. He cannot choose what port, what pier or what side of pier - only how he positions his ship relative to that. No confusion on my part whatsoever. I stand by this and all my posts.

And again, in Falmouth, the right side of the pier is assigned to Oasis class ships and he typically backs into that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind