Club Tropicana Havana

We are thinking of doing this excursion. Has anybody done it? With or without the classic cars? Would love to know your thoughts/opinions.

Kay

Yes, loved it! Didn't do the classic cars bit - is that a lot more expensive? If so on the afternoon of our second day (when the locals would realise the ship and therefore their customers would soon be leaving) people were getting some amazingly cheap deals for classic car trips. That was in the daylight too so I guess you'd get better pics. So it might be an idea to do the two separately. Just a thought.

Anyway to get back to the Tropicana, the coach took us - it might be about 10/15 minutes and if it's fine, it's outdoors in a kind of bowl shaped area with an arc of cliffs at the back with staged areas here and there where the band and musicians appear with a circular stage below and tables radiating outwards from the stage. The seating and tables are quite close together but we were in an excellent position.

The setting is magical and the atmosphere electric! The music, colourful costumes and dancers create a fantastic spectacle. You just don't know where to look - there is just so much going on.

In the tour guide it said there was a welcome drink (I think that was a glass of sparkly wine) plus some nibbles and 'a bit of rum'. WELL............ the bit of rum turned out to be a 1Lt bottle of Havana Club between four! We each got a can of the Cuban version of Coke to go with it but I have never forgotten that bit of rum! :D

It was a relatively expensive trip but I think I looked it up online and it's pricey to DiY plus you need taxis too. You might not get seats in as good a position either. The Thomson group had reserved tables.

We thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it was a fantastic and memorable experience which we'd probably do again if we had an overnight in Havana. Apart from the Tropicana, Havana is one of our favourite cities to visit. Just walk out of the port and the fabulous old town is there to explore. It's fascinating, so much atmosphere, decaying grandeur, wonderful buildings (some just facades!), great bars, music everywhere and very cheap. Enjoy! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

Just searched for this review I did at the time on Havana - there's a bit of repetition on the Tropicana but you might find something about the city of interest.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958562&highlight=havana

Reading that has just reminded me about exchanging money in Cuba and why I was talking about spending up the Cuban currency in the duty free.

You can't get currency before you leave so have to buy it there. The currency exchange booths are in the port buildings but there were only two open and there were loads of people queueing to get money so it was a slow and tedious process. Perhaps someone would be able to tell you if they got money from an ATM as that would be better - if you can find one! Or, get off the ship early or leave the rush to go and hopefully the queues won't be to long.

Anyway apart from the queues, the problem was before we left Havana trying to change our Cuban money back to £ or Euros. The exchange rate was insulting and moreover they would only exchange in multiples of £20 (check whether you get a better rate on Euros or Sterling - they don't deal in $). So if you had £38 they'd only give you £20 and you'd be left with £18 of Cuban money which you can't exchange back here in the UK.

We were all clubbing together in the queue to try to make our monies up to £20, £40, etc then sorting it out between us afterwards. Just worth bearing in mind - try to judge what you'll spend, then take advantage of the duty free especially the excellent value rums to use up your spare cash rather than be left with it. It's worthless once you leave Cuba.

Edited by kruzseeka

Yes, loved it! Didn't do the classic cars bit - is that a lot more expensive? If so on the afternoon of our second day (when the locals would realise the ship and therefore their customers would soon be leaving) people were getting some amazingly cheap deals for classic car trips. That was in the daylight too so I guess you'd get better pics. So it might be an idea to do the two separately. Just a thought.

Anyway to get back to the Tropicana, the coach took us - it might be about 10/15 minutes and if it's fine, it's outdoors in a kind of bowl shaped area with an arc of cliffs at the back with staged areas here and there where the band and musicians appear with a circular stage below and tables radiating outwards from the stage. The seating and tables are quite close together but we were in an excellent position.

The setting is magical and the atmosphere electric! The music, colourful costumes and dancers create a fantastic spectacle. You just don't know where to look - there is just so much going on.

In the tour guide it said there was a welcome drink (I think that was a glass of sparkly wine) plus some nibbles and 'a bit of rum'. WELL............ the bit of rum turned out to be a 1Lt bottle of Havana Club between four! We each got a can of the Cuban version of Coke to go with it but I have never forgotten that bit of rum! :D

It was a relatively expensive trip but I think I looked it up online and it's pricey to DiY plus you need taxis too. You might not get seats in as good a position either. The Thomson group had reserved tables.

We thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it was a fantastic and memorable experience which we'd probably do again if we had an overnight in Havana. Apart from the Tropicana, Havana is one of our favourite cities to visit. Just walk out of the port and the fabulous old town is there to explore. It's fascinating, so much atmosphere, decaying grandeur, wonderful buildings (some just facades!), great bars, music everywhere and very cheap. Enjoy! :)

Wow thanks kruzseeker it sounds amazing! Will definitely do it now it's £79 without classic car and £99 with so not much difference really. Do fancy the whole classic car trip but might be nice to be on coach with everyone . What sort of clothes would you wear?

You're welcome. :)

We just went in the smart casual type of clothing we'd wear for dinner on board. Nice trousers/skirt and top, dress etc. People went as though they were going on a special night out. I've just got DH to pull up some pics for me so I could see if I had a cardi or anything. I'd got a floaty top on and capri pants - men with shirt sleeves and no evidence of warmer stuff. We all look pretty hot tbh!

You're welcome. :)

We just went in the smart casual type of clothing we'd wear for dinner on board. Nice trousers/skirt and top, dress etc. People went as though they were going on a special night out. I've just got DH to pull up some pics for me so I could see if I had a cardi or anything. I'd got a floaty top on and capri pants - men with shirt sleeves and no evidence of warmer stuff. We all look pretty hot tbh!

Thanks again kruzseeker [emoji106]🏻