Security issue with disabled passenger

mercuryfan

I had a bad one when some idiot hit me un the back with the screening wand (he just wasn't watching what he was doing) then decided to pat me down, in a very rough manner if I wasn't in such a bad state he am have ended up going over board in another way. I complained, the line clearly didn't care.

Edited by GUT2407

I gotta say, I'm sometimes flabergasted at exactly the opposite issue - security checking when I'm in the wheelchair is sometimes so poor I've had to tell them where to look just so I can hope that they'll be a bit more attentive with the next wheelchair jockey in the line.

Examples .......

I have a bag swinging away under the chair for gloves, hand wash, etc. but it also holds a set of allen keys for maintenance which could just as easily be a knife or a gun. Frequency of being asked to take it off for the scanner - about one in three.

When's the last time anyone checked the cushion in your chair? I've never had mine checked for contraband, even when I've offered to stand and let them get access to the chair.

I sympathise with the OP but on balance I'd prefer a bit of hassle just to be a bit safer. In contrast, I always feel like a major league criminal when entering the US because the security is just so crazy compared with any other country I've visited.

I've had much the same experience. I always ask security to be very gentle...with a combination of chronic pain, hyperalgesia & dystonia, and if I'm having a bad day, a touch in the wrong place can be enough to flare my pain rather dramatically and/or set of intense muscle spasms. I am lucky that I've always been taken at my word and this respected - but security has been lax to the point at times that they've not even done a pat-down, just given a very quick swish of myself and my chair with the wand and waved me through. I'm honest, and would never dream of taking any prohibited goods through with me

- but not everyone is.

Don't think I've ever been asked about my Allen key set