new to P&O just booked our first cruise, so help needed please.

gizzie4

Hi all, although we have cruised before, this will be our first time with P&O. We are doing the Fiji Adventure on the Pacific Dawn on the 16th April.

We are from the Uk and the main reason we have booked this, is because our son and his partner, will be part of the entertainment team. We are also taking my mum, who will be able to tick watching her grandson perform on a cruise ship, off her bucket list.

will welcome any advice especially regarding what people tend to wear (especially if there is a formal night or special party nights), money to take, and the price of drinks (most important) I believe we have a free soft drinks package. We were also told we get a free mystery tour? can anyone enlighten me? Also as we are in the UK, what is the best way to book any trips and what is worth doing on our itinierary?. Think that had better do for now. I look forward to hearing your replies Thank you in advance. :D

Hi all, although we have cruised before, this will be our first time with P&O. We are doing the Fiji Adventure on the Pacific Dawn on the 16th April.

We are from the Uk and the main reason we have booked this, is because our son and his partner, will be part of the entertainment team. We are also taking my mum, who will be able to tick watching her grandson perform on a cruise ship, off her bucket list.

will welcome any advice especially regarding what people tend to wear (especially if there is a formal night or special party nights), money to take, and the price of drinks (most important) I believe we have a free soft drinks package. We were also told we get a free mystery tour? can anyone enlighten me? Also as we are in the UK, what is the best way to book any trips and what is worth doing on our itinierary?. Think that had better do for now. I look forward to hearing your replies Thank you in advance. :D

In order to find some tours I suggest you go into the rollcall for your ship and cruise and chat with other members to share tours If the roll call is not active try the ports forum and get suggestions there.

The formal night is not as formal as other cruise lines but we dressed up and some others did They have themed nights depending on the length of the cruise

White night Gatsby (1920's) night and of course island night so if you have some suitable clothes bring them Also sometimes they have back to school nights

P&O Australia charge you 1.5% to use a credit card for your account so use either cash or a debit card (Nationwide do one that does not charge for much foreign currency and I believe the post office do one also)

There are different drinks packages which will be explained to you when you get on the ship so ask questions to see what is actually included in the different types and whether you would drink enough to make it worth while

There is free tea and coffee all day from the machines in the buffet area.

Hope this helps a bit and you all enjoy your family entertainment

I am off on Monday on my second P & O cruise (on the pearl) on the Fijian Adventure, so can give you more info once I return. However what I can tell you is

If you want to buy the beverage package it is $79 per day.

For drink prices check out the links in this thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2287390

We got the mystery shore excursion, now while I don't actually know what it is (they wont tell us until we are onboard) I can tell from what I have worked out is we got the cheapest tour they offer - a scenic drive and farmers market stop.

This seems to be the tour given to a number of people who got this promo - it just appeared in our daily planner in cruise control 5 days prior to the trip. Many people already had tours planned and the mystery tour clashes for a number of people so it seems like there isn't any thought given to this.

You can book the tours through cruise control from about 90 days prior, but most people say that the locals on the wharf are great. Again will let you know once we get back.

The roll call CC wasn't very active in my cruise but P&O Aussie have a face book page and every cruise is loaded as an event. This is a very popular medium for people to communicate.

As for clothes P & O is known for its informality - in the sense that not even the crew were ties. Smart casual is the main theme - they don't have "formal nights" as such, but most men wear pants and a collared shirt to dinner. You wont feel out of place in a suit but you wont need one either.