Transportation from Rail Depot to Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge

flip side of fifty

This May we are on a Princess cruise/land tour that begins in Fairbanks. We are going to be in Alaska for a week prior to the beginning of our tour and we are arriving in Fairbanks via the train. Our hotel is the Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge, and we have additional nights added on to the beginning of our tour. Our booking information states that the Lodge has transportation from the airport, but nothing about the Alaska Railway Fairbanks Depot. The Lodge is not open until May, so I can not call and ask.

Does anyone know if the Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge will provide transportation from the depot to the hotel?

Thanks in advance for any information.

You might want to assume, if it is not mentioned, they don't have transportation. I'd suggest you just plan on taking a cab. Just call them a few days ahead and inquire, when you're there.

If you aren't starting your tour the next day, I'll say, you need a car from that location if you want to do any additional touring.

flip side: If the Fairbanks Princess doesn't mention shuttle service from the ARR depot to the hotel they most likely don't offer it. But I have seen the Princess motor coaches moving cruise tour folks from the RR depot to the hotel.

The Fairbanks Princess is located essentially across from the northern edge of the Fairbanks Airport runway. The runway is one one side of Airport Way with the Princess complex on the other side. The hotel is just minutes away from the airport terminal. On the other hand, the ARR depot located across town and is a longer distance from the hotel.

Fairbanks has a number of taxi companies, and I would be very surprised if you do not find a line of taxis meeting the ARR arrival.

Fairbanks is rather spread out, and the Fairbanks Princess is not located within easy walking distance of major attractions. Unless your plans in Fairbanks include sitting on the Princess deck and watching the water flowing down the Chena River (which could be very relaxing) you need to consider renting a car. The major car rental companies have desks (and cars) at the Fairbanks airport. So the next day after your arrival you could just take the Princess shuttle to the airport to pick up a vehicle.