Zuiderdam verses Radiance of the Seas Which one is better?

Marcia&Bob

I sailed Zuiderdam last May 2004 (and upcoming again in a week) in a Suite and then Jewel of the Seas (in the Radiance class) this past January, 2005, in a regular verandah cabin. We were in the "much coveted" regular balcony cabin 9256; it is an aft corner large enough to have 2 loungers and two chairs and small cocktail on the verandah (and yes, this is where I used the famed "roll-a-table," which I brought with me). If you're going Radiance class in a regular verandah cabin, definitely try to get this cabin. We snagged it by accident, as we did this upcoming Zuiderdam cruise in Suite 5187.

Anyway, I enjoyed both ships but Zuiderdam was definitely quieter and seemed less frenzied (which is what I was looking for). Royal Caribbean does push, remember, "Get out there" as one of their slogans. Of course, you don't have to partake of anything you don't want to, naturally, but it is a younger crowd overall and there were more children running around (not being a nuisance, but there) and this was after schools were back in session. I must admit I was in SHOCK when I got into the cabin on the Jewel (which was very nice), BUT the bed was like a hard cot with a piece on foam on it. Oh my God! In the Zuiderdam suite there was a larger comfy wonderful bed and then going back to a regular balcony cabin on Jewel with this cot was hard at first. Now maybe the Zuiderdam has the same thing in their regular cabins, I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

The dress of the people on the ship was much more relaxed than Zuiderdam when I sailed her, to put it nicely, and that goes for the whole overall experience, shipboard daily, the dining rooms, etc.

For glitz and show, you can't surpass the Radiance class Centrums. Ten story open atriums with lots of gold railings, etc., and you can see from the top of the ship down to the lobby level. THAT really is spectacular and something to see. The Zuiderdam's atrium is almost non-existant in comparison.

I did like on Jewel the open air dining on the lido deck (covered and uncovered) at the rear of the ship, which gives you a spectacular view. As I recall Zuiderdam does have a few tables outside the inside lido portion next to the pool, but not as nice an outside dining area as the Radiance class ships. Overall, I thought the food in the dining room was better on Zuiderdam.

Without going into a long side-by-side comparison, I'd go with Holland America, especially since you said you are in your 50s and bringing your mother. Of course, that depends on the mother (HA!), but I'd think she'd like Holland America better.

Happy Sailing. Hope this helps.

I've sailed Zuiderdam (and Westerdam) and Serenade of the Seas, which is a sister ship to Radiance. Our Serenade experience was probably atypical of Royal Caribbean, since it was a 14-day repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal. We didn't have many children - actually, I think there may have been 2 - and the ship was almost but not quite full.

If you choose a time and an intinearary that is not likely to attract families, then I think the two are quite comparable. HAL definitely has better bedding, but our owners' suite on RCI was more spacious than a HAL S suite. HAL has a much better Lido lunch; RCI was surprisingly good for dinner though HAL still gets the nod. RCI's atrium space, as noted by lauderdalebob, is pretty spectacular, but HAL has fresh flowers everywhere.

The one thing I would say falls heavily in RCI's favor on its Radiance-class ships is the Solarium. This adults-only pool area is open 24 hours a day, which gives it two advantages over HAL: no kids and open late. So if a pool matters greatly to you, consider that factor. I would warn you, though, that the pools on both ships have been absolutely freezing at times.

Happy cruising, no matter what you choose.

Susan

They are totally different products. We just got off the Zuiderdam and we loved it. Our previous four cruises were on RCCL. The Z is quiet, the food better and of higher quality, and the service more personal and attentive. RCCL is much livelier with much better entertainment and a significantly younger crowd. For instance there was no reggae/caribbean band on the Z. The sailaway party was pathetic. There was always room at the pool. The midnight buffets are served in the afternoon. The 5:45 seating at dinner seems to be the most coveted. We looked for food at 1:30 am and nothing but room service was available. It really depends on what you are looking for. We totally enjoyed the ship but I would not take my children or parents on this ship. They both like a more lively environment.

We were on a Christmas cruise on the Brilliance (sister to Radiance) two years ago and on the Zuiderdam last week. We found the Brilliance to be a much prettier and open ship with views of the ocean from almost anywhere on the ship. The colors were light and vibrant on the Brilliance and rather dark on the Z. Verandah Cabins are almost identical in size.

With a few exceptions, the entertainment was better on Brilliance in our opinion. With that said, we found the food was better on the Z. The service, while good on the Brilliance, was a little more personal on the Z. Either way you can't go wrong.

Zuiderdam, Zuiderdam, Zuiderdam. As stated by others, they are two different products. RCCL is much more glitzy and IMHO tries too hard and it shows. HAL is much more understated and relaxed and the Zuiderdam will have some of the exuberance of RCCL while maintaining many of the positive aspects of HAL.

Glitzy? Hmmmm. Serenade of the Seas is the only RCCL ship I've ever sailed. Their ships may be glitzy in general, but some regard the Radiance class as some of the most beautiful interiors at sea, if only because of the abundance of light and the sweeping atrium. I've been on Zuiderdam and I have to say I was a bit boggled by the garish color combinations HAL chose. Maybe it's been toned down since its inaugural season? I haven't sailed on Zuiderdam since February 2004. And Westerdam's decor is much more elegant, in my opinion.

There's something for everyone at sea, right?

Happy sailing,

Susan

Archived