On board communication.. phones? apps?

mcroadman

I am wondering if they have some easy way for you to be in touch with your family members cruising with you while on board.? :confused::confused:

Carnival has an app that you can use to text each other on board. Disney had little cell phone like texting devices.

Is there anything on RCCL that will help. Can't walk the length of the ship all day looking for dd. Don't want to have an internet plan just say "meet me at the pool" or " I went to get coffee be back in 15 minutes! :)

I am wondering if they have some easy way for you to be in touch with your family members cruising with you while on board.? :confused::confused:

Carnival has an app that you can use to text each other on board. Disney had little cell phone like texting devices.

Is there anything on RCCL that will help. Can't walk the length of the ship all day looking for dd. Don't want to have an internet plan just say "meet me at the pool" or " I went to get coffee be back in 15 minutes! :)

If you are asking about Liberty, there are no apps that Royal has for that ship.

• 10 months later...

Post-it notes, voicemail - have your DD check in with you hourly to let you know where she will be. I've been cruising since long before there was any sort of technology and never had a problem finding people. Just communicate general plans for the day in the morning (e.g., I'll be at trivia at 10:00 then bingo at noon then at the pool after that). Really not all that difficult.

That looks a lot like a mesh net and if so then I imagine for it to work on a ship then a lot of people are going to need to be running the app.

I didn't get that impression. It looks to me like the app uses the ship's WiFi for peer to peer communication. However, it does depend on the ship's WiFi being configured for non-isolated mode.

That looks a lot like a mesh net and if so then I imagine for it to work on a ship then a lot of people are going to need to be running the app.

While there are many mesh apps out there, Ripple is not one. It bounces off the wifi without requiring login as no internet is being used. However, as someone else mentioned, if the ships wifi utilizes client isolation (as many public networks do) then one device will not be able to see another device on the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums