Dzibanche, Kohunlich, or Chacchoben in Costa Maya

PattiRedRabbit

Has anyone taken a shore excursion in Costa Maya to see Mayan Ruins? If so, which did you see, Dzibanche, Kohunlich, or Chacchoben? Which was the best or did you feel it was worth the time and/or money? Were you able to climb to the top of any?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We visited Kohunlich on a ship-sponsored shore excursion. We enjoyed it very much. We haven't seen the others but hope to on future cruises.

You might enjoy seeing the slide show my wife put together with pictures she took for her website. The link below will take you there.

Costa Maya Kohunlich Shore Excursion

Happy cruising!

Thank you for the info and link. The photos were beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for taking the time to view the slide show and post your compliments which I will pass on to my wife.

Happy cruising. It's a great way to see the world.

We visited Kohunlich, but it has been nearly 9 years now. Back then, it was about 1.5-2 hours by bus to get there. They gave us a brown lunch bag with a few pre-packaged snack food items (think Hostess, chips, etc but made by local companies.) There were a lot of stray animals that we saw - very friendly ones - and they were so emaciated, most of us gave them a good portion of our snack bag. They weren't a nuisance, though.

The ruins themselves were gorgeous. We had a guide who took us around, gave a little talk about each area, then we'd have 20 minutes or so to look around before getting back together to go to the next area. It ended up being an all-day excursion so you won't have time for much else.

At the time we were there, our guide told us that Kohunlich is one of the few ruins sites that still allowed people to climb, but he felt that it would change in the future because people weren't respecting the ropes/barriers around certain sections that were either starting to crumble, or where the dyes were fading and they were trying to preserve it. Not sure if you can still climb or not.

We both loved this excursion, although the bus ride was a bit long. Bring a book or something to do to pass the time. Nearly everyone fell asleep on the way back.