Just Off of My First Cruise on Magic and Her First out Of Dry Dock March 6-13

Tzutse

Carnival Hub App/Internet

We all downloaded the Carnival Hub App before we boarded and none of us were ever able to get it to work - after a while I just stopped trying and carried around the deck plan and the FunTimes. The kids got the social internet package and I had the all-in internet. We also downloaded Whatsapp and used that to communicate to each other and with our parents back home. I didn't lose the ability to imessage until an hour out of Galveston. And, whenever we got close to our ports, I would start to receive imessages and could receive them on the ship until we left that port. Really though, Whatsapp and the social internet package was all that we needed to keep track of each other on the ship. Once I figured out how to get connected to the internet, it was easy when I needed to reconnect. My husband is not on an iphone; he's on a Galaxy, and he seemed to have more problems with his connection dropping. He said paying for internet wasn't worth it to him.

Thank you for all the information. The internet/messaging is my biggest "problem" at this point. Carnival confirmed that the Magic does not have the Hub app yet, and my cell service will not be an option onboard. So I am left with the question of do I get internet for everyone? How was the ships wifi without the service? Do you know? Assuming Whats up works on both iphone and Galaxy and can use the ships wifi. If so, that will be how we communicate with our teenagers while on board in May :)

Thank you for all the information. The internet/messaging is my biggest "problem" at this point. Carnival confirmed that the Magic does not have the Hub app yet, and my cell service will not be an option onboard. So I am left with the question of do I get internet for everyone? How was the ships wifi without the service? Do you know? Assuming Whats up works on both iphone and Galaxy and can use the ships wifi. If so, that will be how we communicate with our teenagers while on board in May :)

I thought the ship's wifi worked fine and I use apple products. Worked fine for my kiddo's iPhone too. I did have to reconnect a few times early in the cruise. On Deck 2 it was the weakest although it still worked. My husband's Galaxy was not as cooperative. Maybe it was user error, though. He was able to get messages from whatsapp although I think he had to often reconnect to the ship wifi.

It cost us $25 per person for the entire trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the ship's wifi worked fine and I use apple products. Worked fine for my kiddo's iPhone too. I did have to reconnect a few times early in the cruise. On Deck 2 it was the weakest although it still worked. My husband's Galaxy was not as cooperative. Maybe it was user error, though. He was able to get messages from whatsapp although I think he had to often reconnect to the ship wifi.

It cost us $25 per person for the entire trip.

Thanks for the information, looking forward to the Magic in just 51 days....

I am confused on the internet, though. Haven't sailed since 2013, and back then both FaceTime and iMessage worked fine while on the ship's wifi. Is that no longer the case? I saw you said that you lost iMessage once out of ports?? So that does not work at all on the ship's wifi - they block it?

Thanks for the information, looking forward to the Magic in just 51 days....

I am confused on the internet, though. Haven't sailed since 2013, and back then both FaceTime and iMessage worked fine while on the ship's wifi. Is that no longer the case? I saw you said that you lost iMessage once out of ports?? So that does not work at all on the ship's wifi - they block it?

Yes, they tell you iMessage is blocked. I was confused because I received iMessages almost an hour after sailing and then it cut off. And then when we got into a port, it would work on wifi again. One time I received several iMessages in the middle of the water - they snuck through the fence, I guess!

Thanks so much for this review! We're sailing on Magic on the 27th, and I've been dying to read what she's like out of dry dock! Did you notice if there is still a barbecue on sea days???

Now I'm craving a Guy's burger.....and some melting cake....and creme brulee....

So are WE!!!!! 9 more days!!!!

Couldn't agree more about Guys Burgers. Was really disappointed in them especially after so many people said it was the best they ever had, they must not have good burger joints around :-)

Wow, we just got back today the 20th and Guys Burger was one of the highlights of our eating fun! We loved it and all the toppings that were offered.

This is a great review! I loved all the detail you provided on the Behind the Fun tour. I never had seen all the places that were visited. Both my husband & I will book this for our February cruise!

Thanks!

Betty

Did you notice if there are tortilla chips on the ship? They have that lovely salsa bar with all those yummy salsas, but when we were on the Triumph last year they had NO chips! So disappointing! John Heald posted about this once on his FB page, and people overwhelmingly requested to have them, but don't know if anything ever came of it. I'll bring my own bag if I need to. :p

Thanks for your review. This will be my 7th cruise and my wife's 6th.

We will be sailing on the Magic January 7,2017 for our 7th SALUTE TO VETERANS CRUISE.

Sounds like a great ship and great time.

If anyone would like to join us on the Veterans cruise, go to the Roll Call:D