Cruising fears/concerns with Seabourn

mef38

Good morning!

My wife and I are booked to cruise on November 13-20th on the Pride. We have some fears about this cruise. Let's start with our first concerns...

My wife is 38 and I'm 43. We get along fine with older couples (our best friends are in their early 60's). But, are we going to be the only ones of that age group?

Next...

I wouldn't consider ourselves affluent. So, are we going to feel uncomfortable? Sort of our of our element?

Next...

What about the dress code. I own a tux and my wife has about 5 or 6 cocktail dresses. However, we just came off of the RCCL Jewel of the Seas (yesterday) and we like to wear alot of shorts/T-shirts (or bathing suits, especially on deck in the sun). Is this frowned upon?

Next...

What is after-dinner entertainment like? Any nice shows or is it just a piano bar style?

Next...

For my wife, on-board shopping. Is there any? Of the places we'll be visiting, it looks like only St-Barts will be the best place to shop. Is it? (We just bought my wife some nice jewelry in St-Martin.)

Maybe some of these fears seem silly, but we do not want to look like the Clampets arriving in Beverly Hills (if you know what I mean).

Bottom line...we're going just the same. We're planning to spend a day or two after the cruise in Barbados (any suggested hotels?). One thing is that we'll know for sure when we get there.

Any comments or consoling :D would be appreciated.

Mark

...we like to wear alot of shorts/T-shirts (or bathing suits, especially on deck in the sun). Is this frowned upon?

Not at all!! What else would you wear in the sun? :cool: ;)

...on-board shopping. Is there any?

Just one gift shop with typical souvenirs and sundries, nothing note-worthy IMHO.

Mark......do not worry another minute! There will be Guests in your age range......but, don't rule out having lots of fun with the older set. As to dress, there will be 2 formal evenings. You will look hansome in your tux and your wife beautiful in her cocktail "frocks." During the day (especially in the Caribbean) many wear shorts/'Tee's. Not in the dining room, however, but I do think shorts are acceptable up in the Veranda restaurant. Yes, there will be entertainment after dinner in the Magellan Lounge. Then we all "head for the Club!" Hopefully a game of "Name That Tune" or "The Liar's Club" will be entertaining! Captain Leif Rodahl will be the Master during Nov........he can surely lie! And a super fun Captain! Tell your wife that Leif can sure jitterbug!

As to shopping, the Boutique on Deck 6 is a grrreat place to shop. Beautiful things......in St. Bart's, "Goldring's" is the place to go.

I've been on this sailing several times.....lots of fun! Loveee St. Bart's. Be certain to go to 'Le Select (Jimmy Buffet's favorite cantina) and have a beer and a Cheeseburger (in Paradise, as Jimmy sings)

Several of us stayed last year at the "Coconuts Beach" hotel. It's very inexpensive and family owned. They will even pick you up at the Cruise Pier and take you to the airport. James, at the front desk is a wealth of information. It's NOT the Ritz......just small and very comfortable. On the beach. Last year, in our party we had a good friend that was ill.....the owner's provided him with a "special valet".......it was so thougthful and NO charge.

Welcome to Seabourn.......a toast, "The Best Islands in the world are those that float and move......their names are, The Pride, The Legend and The Spirit!"

And welcome to our Seabourn board!

Martita B.

Well, I understand your concerns, Mark, because I'm going on my first Seabourn cruise next April to the Caribbean. My sister and brother in law are coming with me, they have never cruised before, and they were also concerned because they are casual/jeans people, and I don't think Seabourn is really a "jeans" sort of ship.

None of us is "affulent"...we are taking this trip as sort of a treat for all of us, it's not like we can sail "anytime" we want. As another poster said on another thread, the Seabourn sailor, although well-traveled, is not one who has to "prove" how wealthy they are. I think we'll all feel right at home, in other words, whatever our fashion or financial status is *smile*. I think you'll find the people friendly, gracious, and welcoming. The CC'ers on this board, who have travelled extensively on Seabourn, certainly fall into that category. That being said, I think the wardrobe may be a bit "nicer" than jeans & a T-shirt, if you know what I mean. Dockers and casual shirts, which is a cut above, I'd say. But I'm bringing my jeans for shore excursions, etc. I'll let others more experienced answer the rest.

When it comes to Barbados, check out the Hilton; I'm looking at Seabourn's cruise in December that begins and ends at Bridgetown...I'm crazy about beautiful hotels with lovely beaches and NICE swimming pools...that one looks great to me, and has gotten good reviews on TripAdvisor too.

Best wishes,

Jane

As Martha so eloquently put it do not worry about the wide age spread on Seabourn. My husband and I usually take Seabourn Spirit's Med cruises but last Dec went on the week long Pride trip from B'dos to FLL. While the Med crowd was far from ancient , the Caribbean cruise did have a few more younger passengers. As to stuffiness -- perish the thought. Seabourn's passengers have no need to publicize their wealth. Everyone is all very low key about that sort of thing. In fact, those that feel the need to flaunt it are the ones that look out of place A'la the Clampetts. Go, have fun and be yourself. And PLEASEwhile the dress code should not intimidate you but don't push it by going overly casual -- Martha will remember when last Dec she, my husband and I were having lunch in the dining room and a "lady" walked in and was seated in a bathing suit coverup -- that is not even acceptable attire for the Verandah. Frankly we were surprised the maitre'd did not find a charming way of convincing the woman to dine elswhere.

We are going on our FIRST CRUISE EVER in March 2006, and from reading all the various Boards on this site, chose Seabourn.......reasons for the choice were,...... itinerary, ........suites, not just a basic cabin (would have liked a balcony though)....... all inclusive price ( as Aussies who arent in the habit of tipping......its easier to have everything included)....and reading this Board, all the regulars who sail with Seabourn sound like a great crowd!

Even though we are not quite as young as you *cough cough*......we are also very ~casual~ (In Aussie language...read "Bushies") However we will pack our "glad rags" and plan on having a great time.;)

mef38~~~GOOD NEWS! Don't forget that the beautiful Pride ship will have just had "her face-lifted!" (and RE-fit) You will have the priviledge to be aboard on her 1st sailing! We are all very excited about "Ms. M/VPride's" new look! (seems all ladies now are having something done!)

As to our Virgin Gorda (Prickly Pear Island) all day picnic, be prepared for the most elegant picnic in the world! Ever heard of "caviar in the surf? Waiter's will be wading in the ocean, fully attired, offering Sevruga caviar and flutes of champagne! Also, you and your wife will throughly enjoy all the water toys, such as the yellow banana boats, and kayaks, etc. Richard Branson's (Virgin Airlines) private Island is just around the corner from Prickly Pear....he and his family stay the month of Dec. and come over to "our" Island daily to lounge on the beach! They were there last Dec.

As to St. John's (I call it "Chicken Island"......because downtown, hens and baby chicks run a 'round everywhere!) you might enjoy ferrying over to Caneel Bay Resort for lunch. A beautiful picture postcard spot.

Last Dec. I hosted a "Oh Come All Ye Thirsty" eggnog sing-a-long party in the Constellation Lounge........"chairsin" and her sweet (and sooo cute)

hubby attended, as did Jane P.......along with my good friends from N.C. and our dear, dear late Herman Diaz (his last Seabourn sailing) All the Officer's wore lighted Santa hats, raindeer antler horns, elf hats etc., etc.......Even Captain T.T. grated our fresh nutmeg with his Waterford nutmeg grater! I donned my white feathered angel wings with my matching maribu halo! Carumba! As you can read......Seabourn is NOT stuffy! (we also enjoy "Champagne/Caviar Pajama Morning Socials!")

Again, welcome to Seabourn! Be ready to be "spoiled rotten!"

Martita B.

Mef38,

Fear not you will have a great time. I just turned 43 last month and have always had a great time on Seabourn. The caribbean sailings get a great mix of ages and a good time is had by all. As Martita has stated the beach picnic in Virgin Gorda is not to be missed.

Martita do you remember Ollie falling off the banana boat for the 3rd time when he finally gave up and swam to shore? Funny how the part of the beach he came ashore was where the caviar in the surf was occurring.

Coincidence? HAHAHA.

mcboo:) :) :)

Mcboo~~~YES, I do indeed remember poor Ollie fallin' off the yellow banana boat.......talk about "FREE WILLY!" His redemption was all the fabulous caviar and champagne when he surfaced!

The "Prickly Pear Island" picnic feast is fabulous! Especially the "hot off the grill lobster!"

Hugs sent to you, Mcboo,

Martita B.

Fear not. I am in my 40's and my wife is younger in age and spirit!! We always have a great time. As the other posts probably have showed you, Seabourn is not about "showing" money, but having a wonderful time. In fact, there are many "first timers" and others that save up just to enjoy the week or two of luxury.

Maybe the best way to say it is, "Don't worry about impressing anyone on Seabourn. Seabourn will simply impress you!"

I know you will have a great time!

We are going on our FIRST CRUISE EVER in March 2006, and from reading all the various Boards on this site, chose Seabourn.......reasons for the choice were,...... itinerary, ........suites, not just a basic cabin (would have liked a balcony though)....... all inclusive price ( as Aussies who arent in the habit of tipping......its easier to have everything included)....and reading this Board, all the regulars who sail with Seabourn sound like a great crowd!

Even though we are not quite as young as you *cough cough*......we are also very ~casual~ (In Aussie language...read "Bushies") However we will pack our "glad rags" and plan on having a great time.;)

Nuthin' like a good Aussie to liven up the party! I lived in South Brisbane near the old World Expo site (does that mean I am old???) and worked in Bulimba for a few years. What part of town are you from? I miss much about Brisbane (mostly being single and having a great time, but that is another story). It is a great little city.

We are also taking our first Seabourn cruise next year. We will be on the Pride for the Dec. 9th Barbados to Barbados cruise. We are a wee bit younger than you, 40 & 39 at time of sailing, and everyone on these boards put our fears to rest!

We are so very excited about this trip and I fear for our bank account that after this first cruise we will be hooked! I can't wait to see the Carribean and be pampered and spoiled the whole time! I'm going to try and talk my husband into booking a Med. cruise while we are on board! I'm thinking it won't be a hard sell!

Nancy

Trust me as a former "first timer" on Seabourn (I guess we all were as some point! Sounds like the makings of a great new thread) - You will have a VERY hard time going back to another line after your first voyage. :)

Start saving now!! :D

Seabourn Sailor's.......BAD NEWS!!!! :( I really hate to tell you this, BUT,

Once Seabourn, Always Seabourn! :)

Isn't this correct Matt and Iamboatman???? NO cruise line now can ever

make me as happy as Seabourn! (or as spoiled :D )

Martita B.

about once Seabourn, always Seabourn -- if Seabourn went to the Galapagos we would be going on Seabourn instead of Lindblad in January -- while I know the Galapagos will be fabulous, already I am steeling myself for the fact that their boat is not the Spirit( or the Pride or Legend). So help me with certain phrases I should not utter, such as , " Where is the rest of our suite?" or "You want me to sign a chit for this glass of champagne?":eek:

Chairsin.......or, "will you please draw my bubble bath now?......OH, and don't forget the rose petals.......OH, and another flute of Champagne, if you don't mind!" :p

OH, how those sweet housekeepers spoil us!

Hugs sent to the West!:)

MB

Martha, Martha, Martha,

Those fabulous Molton Brown baths are soooooo relaxing. Especially with a flute or two of chamapgne. My standing order for chocolate creme brulee and mojitos with Nelson at the skybar. Need to be back onboard soon but my 16 year old Brittany Dexter has bad cataracts and needs to go in for surgery in 2 weeks. Can't even begin to consider it until I know my baby is more comfortable.

mcboo

McBoo,

Brittany Dexter's are beautiful dogs, and I know how much a part of the family that ones animal becomes. I actually know of someone whose dog had ACL surgery this week!!! Do you think there's physical therapy and rehab on the dog's horizon???? ;)

Still, you should have at least one cruise booked for next year....

Must dash....the ice in my cosmo is melting!!!:D

Denyse

Iamboatman,

I live "midway" between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Can you believe its 17 years since World Expo? That is what made Brisbane "come of age"...it was the best thing to ever happen here. I had a "Seasons ticket" and went about 3 times a week for the 6 months. Think the travel bug really got stuck into me there. Had my very first overseas trip the following year (to the USA)...havent stopped since....well only long enough to save for the next trip! :)

GrannyLorr:

Sounds like you live in the perfect area, not in the city and not in the tourist area. I was there during and after World Expo and saw so many things change at one time. Where you live "was" the next "hot" area. I remain close with some of my mates from back then. I am looking forward to showing off my old home to the family...soon.

As you can tell from the other posts, Seabourn as a first cruise will be a great treat. The only "problem" is that you will be limiting yourself for the future. You will have to cruise Seabourn on your second cruise.

Well thank you everyone. You have really put our fears to rest. My step-father, who is from England (and in his 80's), is more of the "proper" kind of cruiser. He has gone on the QM2 and always cruises Crystal. Just listening to his cruise reviews was what concerned me.

Listening to your fine comments, has helped us relax a lot more. It is not that we've never cruised before (my wife does almost one per month or so), it is just we've usually cruised the "partyer" ships (is that a word?).

As for dress, my wife just bough half a dozen "cocktail" dresses especially for this trip. And I still have my tux. We do not plan to get too casual. As for a bathing suit in the dining room, this is what happened last week...

My wife prefers regular yellow mustard over dijon mustard. In fact, she prefers it so much that she usually packs her own since many cruise lines do not have it. Well, last week she wanted a cheeseburger with regular yellow mustard. We knew that they have it in the casual dining room, so off she went to track down some yellow mustard for her burger. She got to the casual dining room and was refused entry because she was in a bathing suit with a coverup. :eek: Fine, so she asked the waiter/doorman there for some yellow mustard. Three times he brings back dijon. She was getting totally frustrated because they kept saying they did not have regular mustard. :confused: We knew where it was and yet they kept bringing back the wrong item. Finally she was allowed to go in and get it (about 30 feet from the door) and quickly leave the dining room. :p

We agree about the idea of no bathing suits in any dining room, but sometimes, it is a must, especially when some people don't understand the differences with mustard. :D

Thanks for all your comments.

Mark & Wendy :cool:

mef38~~~GOOD NEWS! Don't forget that the beautiful Pride ship will have just had "her face-lifted!" (and RE-fit) You will have the priviledge to be aboard on her 1st sailing!...

As to our Virgin Gorda (Prickly Pear Island) all day picnic, be prepared for the most elegant picnic in the world! Ever heard of "caviar in the surf? Waiter's will be wading in the ocean, fully attired, offering Sevruga caviar and flutes of champagne! Also, you and your wife will throughly enjoy all the water toys, such as the yellow banana boats, and kayaks, etc. ... As to St. John's (I call it "Chicken Island"......because downtown, hens and baby chicks run a 'round everywhere!) you might enjoy ferrying over to Caneel Bay Resort for lunch. A beautiful picture postcard spot.

Again, welcome to Seabourn! Be ready to be "spoiled rotten!"

Martita B.

Martita,

Thanks for the suggestions. We have reviewed the excursions and you've given us ideas on what to expect. We hope to at least get a little snorkeling done. Do you know if there is there any scuba diving offered?

Last week we tried to snorkel at a place called Labadee (Haiti) and it was a total waste of time. Poor to fair visibility and practically no fish. Then my scuba mask was "misplaced" (read stolen). Lastly my scuba diving trip in Bermuda was cancelled because of poor weather.

Oh well, we can always try a banana boat ride. ;)

Thanks again,

Mark

Iamboatman

I have actually already picked my "second" cruise......need to win a lottery or something first though. I want to do the 72 day Circumnavigation of South America. Friends say "dont you think you should see if you like the first cruise, before thinking about a second?" Cant think of a thing that might make me ~NOT~ enjoy the first one though, well unless we both suffer terribly from seasickness...no idea about that one yet!

I love the itinerary, I love the idea of a looooong cruise, relaxing, eating, drinking, Love the idea of not having to unpack and repack every few days, and waste lots of time in airports.....cant wait to get to the Sky Bar for my first glass of bubbly! ;)

Archived