HAL Zaandam with young kids?

babytraveler

why are you "stuck with the Zaandam"?

On HAL, the worldwide average age of their passengers is 57... and for Alaska, it's typically higher.

If you have a close knit family and are comfortable with potentially being one of very few, or only, young families on board... then you will have no issues.

I'm much younger than the HAL average age, sailed on them this past year and had a great time of it. Everything's always what you make of it.

Up until last summer, HAL didn't take kids under 5 in their kids program. They revised that to 3 years. I like the HAL kids program a lot, and things have changed on the ships dramatically over the last few years regarding kids. It's not unusual during summer to have 50 or more kids in the program on any given sailing. Unless your child is under 3, you should have no problems.

I am a firm believer in going to Alaska for the adult priorities, but you will be very limited in this with toddlers. You may want to consider a line that offers sitters?? You may also want to look at a "freestyle, personal choice dining" cruiseline. Toddlers won't do well in the dining room with fixed extended dining. Are you prepared to skip this?? Do you have extended family going with you??? Again the shows will probably be out as well? Tours- I wouldn't go on anything more than an hour, a toddler is just too unpredictable with no way out. Planning is the key.

As for HAL of course they have all ages, if your plans can be managed it's an excellent line to consider.

Archived