Places to eat in Rio Grande

slidergirl

For RayInPR and Stinger-pr:

What are you go-to places to eat in Rio Grande? Specifically looking for breakfast joints and inexpensive dinners. For dinners, Puerto Rican cuisine, seafood, lechoneras...I've got 5 nights coming up in the area and want to avoid being held captive at the resorts for my meals. I'll even go up to Luquillo if there is someplace worthwhile.

This could also be helpful for those cruisers who are planing a day up in El Yunque, or going to the bioluminescent tour, or the island snorkel cruise, so it IS cruise-related ;)

Unfortunately there really is not much in the way of "must visit" places to eat in the Rio Grande area. You can find major fast food chains like McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, and Subway along the Rio Grande stretch of road PR-3 near the entrance of Gran Meliá/ Bahia Beach resorts. A bit further down are the Luquillo kiosks where you'll find all kinds of local fare and seafood. So unless you like fast food breakfast, the hotel food will have to do. There are a couple of other places along PR-3 which are hit and miss. Some with bad reviews about service, wait time and quality (Don Pepe) and others like Taco Rico (casual Mexican) where the reviews are better. Try using google maps and zooming in real close to the area and check out the different options you might have. Good Luck!!

Unfortunately, since I live in PR, cruisecritic rules won't let me post names of businesses, etc. They assume I'm getting a kick-back. They'll kick me off the forum. I've already been kicked off once.

Unfortunately, since I live in PR, cruisecritic rules won't let me post names of businesses, etc. They assume I'm getting a kick-back. They'll kick me off the forum. I've already been kicked off once.

I totally forgot about that. Bummer.

I don't do fast-food chains (except for the Apple Pecan Chicken Salad at Wendy's). I did the TA search and found a few things, but only one breakfast place that is also a bakery. I got a good deal on a rental car for the days I'm there so I could venture out and hit some local spots.

Anyone who doesn't live on PR: any ideas for places to eat in the Rio Grande/Palmer/Luquillo geographic area???

We don't have "breakfast places", per se. No diners or things like that that you would find the the States.

I just don't to pay $40/day for a breakfast at the hotel. I just need a good cup of coffee, a pastry or granola or yogurt. I guess I'll see if my room has an actual refrigerator (the "refreshment center, honor bar" things don't really do cold, just below room temp) and go find a grocery store and buy some stuff.

Dinners - I'll just cruise the road and stop where I see lots of cars ;)

For breakfast, seek out a "panaderia" ... a bakeshop of sorts ... they will have breakfast sandwiches (egg/ham/cheese on pan de agua), and perhaps egg dishes.

Thank you! That is a nice suggestion! This is what I usually do when I travel - I will seek out a panaderia. I did see one listed in Rio Grande… Breakfasts when staying at a resort are always an issue for me; I hate to pay all that money for the breakfast buffet when all I want is coffee and a yogurt or a bread. Maybe that's why I'm so comfortable in Italy - I run into the nearest spot and grab "un espresso e un cornetto." My daily breakfast is coffee and either yogurt, granola, or a bowl of cereal, so I don't have the desire to "load up at the trough" of a buffet ;)