orphanage and customs

1cruisingal

Hi, has anyone brought items to Roatan before for orphanages? Did you have any hassle's getting off the ship from customs? I've read that some people have transferred the items to backpacks and just carried them off without any trouble from customs. I don't think the items will be able to fit in the backpacks so we'll have to bring the large suitcase off, but I'm not sure if customs is ok with us doing this. I've tried calling and researching but still not sure what to do. Can anyone please share their experience? Did you receive any trouble getting off the ship if you had large suitcases with you? Thanks in advance!

Hi, has anyone brought items to Roatan before for orphanages? Did you have any hassle's getting off the ship from customs? I've read that some people have transferred the items to backpacks and just carried them off without any trouble from customs. I don't think the items will be able to fit in the backpacks so we'll have to bring the large suitcase off, but I'm not sure if customs is ok with us doing this. I've tried calling and researching but still not sure what to do. Can anyone please share their experience? Did you receive any trouble getting off the ship if you had large suitcases with you? Thanks in advance!

Saw a couple with two suitcases full of clothes on my cruise last week get stopped at the gangway heading off. They had to head back to guest services and fill out a declaration form. This was on the Carnival Valor. So it might help to check with the cruise line and the local authorities when you arrive. I'm sure they were allowed to eventually continue with their trip and bring all the items they wanted to, but they had to have their paperwork right to do so.

We've brought things to the orphanage several times with NCL, so my experience is cruise line specific. When I made reservations I was given the email for the special events coordinator. She explained NCL's process. We packed a separate old suit case for everything and just planned on leaving it. Later in the evening on the first night I introduced myself to guest services and they gave me custom forms to fill out. I returned them the next day and was told they would call me in the morning as to where I would bring the suit case. I arrived, the officer for NCL took my form, gave it to the customs agent. He gave it a 15 second look and that was it, off the ship and to the orphanage. I will say that the more detailed you are as to the contents the better.

Now how other cruise lines probably have slightly different protocol's, so I would suggest explaining to someone at your cruise line and getting an email address,(easier than a phone number) of a point person.

Also there are 2 orphanages on the island. One is close to Coxen Hole. I have not dealt with them. The other is in Sandy Bay and I can connect you with them. They prefer being notified ahead of time rather than just have people show up.

Hope this helps. I'm open to questions.

Edited by cruisemainiac
clarifying a sentance