LAX - Long Beach, Uber or Town Car?

chefchick

I have searched these boards for opinions, but I am looking for up to date info on Uber usage LAX to port and back. It seems like a cost effective choice for two travelers, but how is it logistically? I'm not too familiar with LAX but I've read that you have to leave the baggage claim area and find your way up to arrivals and some sort of shared ride area for pick up? Is this easier than it sounds? Would I be better off ordering a town car ahead of time?

And what about those who have used it for return from the port...we are on the Carnival Inspiration so we return on a Friday. We are doing late disembarkation because our flight out isn't until 2:45. Will we find drivers easily at say 9:30 on a Friday? Is that considered rush hour and might encounter surge fees? Where is s convenient pick up area at the dome?

Again, I am looking for the easiest way to and from, but taxis seem to cost the same amount as a town car, so if uber is as easy as It should be, then I'll go with that...but I'm looking for real world experiences.

Thank you in advance for your help. I need to decide asap.

Used Uber XL today to get from LAX to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. First use of Uber, we used Uber XL as there were 4 adults. It worked well, picked us up outside of baggage claim lower level outside of terminal 5. Worked just as they said, traffic was very bad on the 405. Total costs was less than $57, as it took an hour, I thought this was reasonable. I did notice when requesting a ride that no uber x were available at that point, which was fine as we were too many with too much luggage for that option anyway. The driver took about 8 minutes to get to us. Hope that helped

I used Uber for the first time for my cruise a couple of weeks ago--Home to LAX and hotel to the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale.

On the way there, everything was great...The trip from my home in Calabasas to LAX, usually around $65 with a shared shuttle service, cost only $38 and the driver was prompt and personable...couldn't have asked for more...

From our Fort Lauderdale hotel to the cruise port, the hotel had a shuttle for $10 per person...but Uber got us there for just $10 total...and we didn't have to share a bus with 30 others...

That's where it ends...

When we got off the ship and had to head to FLL airport, Uber gave us "Surge Pricing"--3X fare...We ended up just taking a taxi--for $15 plus tip...cost me $18...

When we got back to LAX, we got our luggage and were ready to trek to whatever place (upper level--the baggage claim is on the lower level) Uber picks up...but the Uber App said "No UberX Available"...We tried again 3 or 4 times (even tried Uber XL--same problem...there was Uber Lux for a horrendous price of $250-301), then just headed over to the SuperShuttle agent (right on the curb outside baggage claim) and arranged a shared shuttle for $58 (plus gave the driver a $10 tip)...

I've sort of decided that however great Uber is at times, it seems to be "hit and miss"...So, always have a "Plan B" in mind...

Edited by Bruin Steve