scuba with equipment

Lou_70

Wondering if anyone has done the scuba with equipment excrusion?

If so is Nitrox offered or just regular air?

I am on the fence on taking the nitrox class before I cruise or not.

Thanks!

Wondering if anyone has done the scuba with equipment excrusion?

If so is Nitrox offered or just regular air?

I am on the fence on taking the nitrox class before I cruise or not.

Thanks!

Cruise excursions for scuba are catering toward mostly beginner divers or divers with not a lot of experience. As such, I doubt Nitrox is offered. Also, most (if not all) cruise excursion dive trips are single or two tank dives, Nitrox isn't really necessary other than for the safety margin.

You won't get to spend anymore time down than your weakest link in the group. Sometimes they will let someone leave the group if they have really bad air skills (and send the back guide with them). Otherwise we all go down together and we all come up together. No Nitrox needed.

This is especially true when drift diving, like in Cozumel.....

Depending on which ports you're visiting, I highly recommend looking into local Dive Shops and not use the ship excursion. I've found the ship excursions to usually be jam packed (a couple of dozen people), and I prefer smaller groups (less than 10).

If you're looking to dive in St. Martin or St. Thomas, I have a couple of great local dive shops that I can recommend.

I would recommend getting the Nitrox cert anyway just for general diving. It is much safer, doesn't expire and I use it whenever available. That being said, the only dive op that I've come across via Royal's excursions that offered Nitrox was Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel. I think it was only an extra $10 payable to the dive op.

Thank you all!

Makes total sense.

My first open water dive me and my buddy were the only two not on Nitrox and we went up 10 mins earlier than the rest of the group.

I will be getting Nitrox, just may not be able to squeeze it in over the next Month.

Looks like I will be doing Grand Cayman two tank so I can see the shipwreck. We have family plans on the other two islands

-Lou

Depending on which ports you're visiting, I highly recommend looking into local Dive Shops and not use the ship excursion. I've found the ship excursions to usually be jam packed (a couple of dozen people), and I prefer smaller groups (less than 10).

If you're looking to dive in St. Martin or St. Thomas, I have a couple of great local dive shops that I can recommend.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise next feb, and want to try scuba, were looking at the beginner (non-certified) cruise expedition, but if some dive shops would be better, we would try it out. Since we have never done it before, we don't want to spend the money getting certified in case this is the only time we will ever do it (since we live in Iowa). We are going to both those places on our cruise.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise next feb, and want to try scuba, were looking at the beginner (non-certified) cruise expedition, but if some dive shops would be better, we would try it out. Since we have never done it before, we don't want to spend the money getting certified in case this is the only time we will ever do it (since we live in Iowa). We are going to both those places on our cruise.

If there's a dive shop in your area, do the Try SCUBA there. The ship charges around $100 for it and the dive shop I work charges $10 and then apply that fee to an Open Water class if students want to get the complete certification.

If there's a dive shop in your area, do the Try SCUBA there. The ship charges around $100 for it and the dive shop I work charges $10 and then apply that fee to an Open Water class if students want to get the complete certification.

The only dive shop around here wanted $900 for certification, and had no option for that at all, but it is all new to me, so may not be asking the right questions. The $100 on ship included a dive (up to 40ft) from what I could see, but maybe I am reading it wrong.

Edited by rukkian