Strategies for getting in-room babysitter?

Following up on my first-ever post (first-time cruisers on the 12/10/05 Serenade), we are going to try to get in-room babysitters for each night so we can feed our two-year-old twins at Windjammer around 6:30, put them to sleep around 7:45 (with babysitter in the room shortly before that), then go to the late dinner and go out for a bit. I understand that it is best to arrange for in-room babysitting EARLY--as early as possible on the cruise.

And given that we really want to have a little time off once the kids are asleep, we really want to get a babysitter for each night.

So should we try to get on board the ship as early as possible the first day? And once we get aboard, do we go to the concierge (we booked a grand suite so I understand we will be able to have access to the concierge). Or do we go to the purser? Or to the activities desk? Or to someone else? And should we give that person a special tip for arranging this? I'd be willing to fork over a tip of $50 or even $100 for making this happen because it will be the best investment in making sure we can spend the whole day with the kids but still get out and enjoy ourselves at night once the kids are asleep. (But I'm not sure if it's too ethical to give such a big tip to ensure a babysitter if it means that we are basically outbidding other people who may also want to get a babysitter--not that we are swimming in money, but given that we are paying a few grand for the trip and airfare, an extra $50 or $100 for this would be worth it). I will leave this whole issue to the ethicists on this board.

Anyway, any tips in trying to ensure that we get a babysitter would be helpful. I've done searching already and have turned up some (but not a ton) of helpful information regarding this.

Thanks.

Regardless of what I feel about tipping, here are the facts:

The people who babysit come from a variety of ship's services. I have never had a concierge so I cannot answer that question. I always booked through guest services on the day we boarded. I don't think tipping whoever you make the request to can make babysitters appear if there is no availability of said service.

I would plan for no babysitting at all and be thankful for what you get. It really can just depend on demand and availability for the services. Either way I would request the same person every night to minimize distress for both you and your kiddos.

Good luck.

Hi! We used the RCI babysitting services last year on our Thanksgiving cruise. We put in the request at the purser's office when we first boarded. They had us fill out a little form. I can't remember exactly what was on it, but basic info about the kids, could they take them out of the room if there was an ice cream party on deck 7, etc. We put in a requested time for the first night and were told we would receive a message in our stateroom if a babysitter was available.

A sitter was available and she met us at the room and she was great. She asked us the first night what other nights/times we were interested in and we had her for the rest of the cruise. She worked on the pool deck and everytime we saw her she would come by and say hello and play with Alex for a few minutes.

It was a great experience for us and we got to enjoy the evenings while the little guy was snoozing!

Pam

From what I understand, being in a suite, the concierge will arrange the babysitting services for you. I'm sure they will make it happen. We will be doing the same thing next summer.

Please, when you return, will you let me know how it went.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

I've used the RCCL babysitting twice and both times just went to the Purser's desk and requested it the afternoon we got on the ship. We never had any problem getting a sitter for the entire cruise (same plan as you to eat later on and enjoy some adult time). Although keep in mind that the first night you may not get a sitter since the employee's work schedules are usually off due to the later sailing time (as compared to normal at sea/port days) and we weren't able to arrange a sitter for those first nights. But they did check around, so maybe it will work out for you if you are flexible with the start time that night. We had a suite last time but didn't realize we could ask the conceirge to set this up. If they are in the lounge when you get on board then I would ask him/her, but otherwise just go to the Purser's desk. No tip is needed. Just specify you would like the same person each night. And then verify with the conceirge if they think she is a good babysitter and is recommended, since the conceirge knows all the crew and is a great asset with that kind of stuff. Enjoy your cruise!

wendy

One of the couples in our group has a two and a half year old and a five year old. We're/they're hoping to have some babysitting services in the evening too, and it just occurred to me that I have no idea whether it's possible to have someone babysit while we're in port so that the parents can go on an excursion (that they would otherwise be unable to go on due to the kids' ages.)

Anyone know?

Has anyone ever encountered the situation where they reserve a sitter when they board, and request the same one for the whole week, only to discover that they really don't want that person to come back, either when they meet them or after the first night?

What do you do? Are you committed to pay for that sitter even though you don't want them back and may in fact want to try and get someone else? Can you get someone else?? I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this, in case the situation arises. They can't all be perfect!

Has anyone ever encountered the situation where they reserve a sitter when they board, and request the same one for the whole week, only to discover that they really don't want that person to come back, either when they meet them or after the first night?

What do you do? Are you committed to pay for that sitter even though you don't want them back and may in fact want to try and get someone else? Can you get someone else?? I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this, in case the situation arises. They can't all be perfect!

No qualms about this one at all. I would go down the Guest Relations the next day or that evening and say I want someone else. I do not chance my gut when it comes to my daughter. I don't even have to explain myself. You are only committed for the services that are provided.

Archived