VAT Tax for cruises from Barcelona

Just boarded the Serenade in Copenhagen. Spoke with GS, and was told that 18% VAT was applicable on this cruise, regardless of location, whether in territorial waters or on high seas. Whether this tax would be passed on to guests was not clear. I was advised to always check the prices of goods and services procured onboard. Somewhere in the shop or on the price list there should be something in fine print with details regarding how VAT rules are implemented. I don't usually buy much onboard, but I will follow up in each of these few cases.

On April 30th we cruised out of Barcelona on the Vision. Visited Cannes, Rome, Sialerno,Sicily and Venice. We were charged VAT tax for the entire cruise. Services had a 21% charge. We are Diamond and when we used our free 24 hours of internet where charged $8.40 VAT. There were lots of complaints and confusion on what items were taxed and at what percent. This was their first cruise of the year out of Barcelona. The ship's store that sold alcohol was closed for the entire 7 days.

We're on the 9/11/16 Brilliance RT Barcelona, but we visit Kotor on this particular sailing....so as I'm reading these posts would that mean our entire cruise would be VAT free?? Am I missing something? I'm trying to find out BEFORE we sail, since I could buy internet pkg, speciality restaurants, etc. before sailing thru RCI website VAT free!!

If not and we're taxed on our 12 night Med cruise, couldn't we visit the VAT desk or office at BCN before flying out and get all VAT reimbursed since flying home to US?? It worked that way when we flew home from Rome a few years ago....but not sure....anyone know?? THX for feedback everyone!

Mark

Edited by txcowboy10

We're on the 9/11/16 Brilliance RT Barcelona, but we visit Kotor on this particular sailing....so as I'm reading these posts would that mean our entire cruise would be VAT free?? Am I missing something? I'm trying to find out BEFORE we sail, since I could buy internet pkg, speciality restaurants, etc. before sailing thru RCI website VAT free!!

If not and we're taxed on our 12 night Med cruise, couldn't we visit the VAT desk or office at BCN before flying out and get all VAT reimbursed since flying home to US?? It worked that way when we flew home from Rome a few years ago....but not sure....anyone know?? THX for feedback everyone!

Since you are leaving the EU VAT area, I THINK that you should be VAT free on pre-purchases and once you leave Spanish waters. Should you be charged VAT, items consumed are NOT eligible for VAT reimbursement (reimbursement is only for items that can be shown to Customs upon departure).

Since you are leaving the EU VAT area, I THINK that you should be VAT free on pre-purchases and once you leave Spanish waters. Should you be charged VAT, items consumed are NOT eligible for VAT reimbursement (reimbursement is only for items that can be shown to Customs upon departure).

Thanks for information...hope you're right! :)