Cut out Cinque Terre?

Millenia98

There must be something wrong with DW and moi! We have been to Italy and France numerous times including dozens of cruises, months of driving trips, apartment rentals, etc etc. What is really strange is that we keep coming back because we find "charm" at every turn. After reading buggins posts (we also saw the one on Monte Carlo) I now thinking we must be somewhat demented or using funny sun glasses that have us seeing and experiencing charm that is not real :(. And we must really be strange folks, because no matter how many times we come back to these places we find new things to see and do. Woe with us.

Hank

You are not demented...I'm only seeking charm in one specific town...MC. The rest of the French Riviera has oodles of charm...much less hidden.

My only point is trying to figure out if it's worth the effort and dear port time to go elsewhere for something for an unknown quantity better. I really don't know if I missed the base charm in MC. I have visited most of the known towns in the area, except St. Paul...but know I'll get back to that when it's more conducive.

You are not demented...I'm only seeking charm in one specific town...MC. The rest of the French Riviera has oodles of charm...much less hidden.

My only point is trying to figure out if it's worth the effort and dear port time to go elsewhere for something for an unknown quantity better. I really don't know if I missed the base charm in MC. I have visited most of the known towns in the area, except St. Paul...but know I'll get back to that when it's more conducive.

LOL! We gave up looking for the charm in MC many years ago. That is why we bypass the city when on driving trips and quickly leave if we get stuck there on a port day. But some folks love the place....so I guess each to their own. And we have often listened to Marazul's advice and not been disappointed.

LOL! We gave up looking for the charm in MC many years ago. That is why we bypass the city when on driving trips and quickly leave if we get stuck there on a port day. But some folks love the place....so I guess each to their own. And we have often listened to Marazul's advice and not been disappointed.

Believe me, I want to scream everytime I see one of those "we're porting in Cannes and we want to go to Monte Carlo" threads, written by someone who has never been to the area. And, if there is anyplace in the world I'd love to move it's Antibes.:)

It's just a very busy cruise. We're lucky to be on one of those ships which has a large outside dining venue at the back. And, I can't stop thinking of lingering over a croissant and cafe au' lait on the back deck while in port (on a hopefully sunny warm day).

I am still trying to figure out where you thought I might be broad brushing the whole Riviera coast in this thread and the other as charmless though.:confused:

Edited by buggins0402

Believe me, I want to scream everytime I see one of those "we're porting in Cannes and we want to go to Monte Carlo" threads, written by someone who has never been to the area. And, if there is anyplace in the world I'd love to move it's Antibes.:)

It's just a very busy cruise. We're lucky to be on one of those ships which has a large outside dining venue at the back. And, I can't stop thinking of lingering over a croissant and cafe au' lait on the back deck while in port (on a hopefully sunny warm day).

I am still trying to figure out where you thought I might be broad brushing the whole Riviera coast in this thread and the other as charmless though.:confused:

Such a dreamy description!!! So I've never been to the area. Monte Carlo is a no go? Antibes if your favorite. Hit me with anything else in the area that you love!

Such a dreamy description!!! So I've never been to the area. Monte Carlo is a no go? Antibes if your favorite. Hit me with anything else in the area that you love!

Antibes I love because of it's authenticity - yes it is somewhat touristy, but you can see it's soul. It's pretty, but has just enough rough edges.

I guess, given enough time in the area, I wouldn't put MC in a no-go category. It is just my least favorite (but, sometimes I can revisit a place and come back with a totally different perspective). One thing it is one of the kid friendly towns, given the Oceanographic museum and Guard changing.

Eze is very pretty and well situated for views, but it's sole purpose is tourism.

I haven't been to St. Paul de Vence- so I'm missing a biggie. I've not done Cap Ferrat also.

Marazul and Hank have far more experience with the area. They've been everywhere many, many times over. You'll have a car and a number of days so that can get you to many places I don't consider for a cruise. And, even when we visited land - we only had the car for western Provence - where it is an absolute necessity.