Costa Maya is a great stop!

Cruisermom2nick

I love your posts and pictures.

If you had to pick one of the ruins to visit (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay) which one would it be?

This is a difficult choice since they all have unique qualities. I don't think Mahogany Bay has any Mayan ruins, so that narrows your options. In making your choice, it's a good idea to take different factors into consideration such as how much time you will be in port, the excursion price, as which one has the most appeal to you.

The Tulum ruins at Cozumel are very different from the others since they are built on a cliff overlooking the sea. The ruins in Belize (Lamanai) and Costa Maya (Kohunlich) are in the jungle so have that "lost civilization" type of feel to the experience.

You might ask yourself if you don't have the opportunity to go back again, which one would you regret not seeing? This question might help you decide.

Just my opine, but Mahogany Bay/Roatan has no Maya ruins, wasn't even close to Maya territory and Mayans generally avoided the ocean. There is a smaller set of ruins on Cozumel called San Gervasio. It was part of a trading post. Butt he ruins closest to Cozumel are on the mainland. There are 3 reasonable close good sets of ruins in Belize--Altun Ha, closest to port, Xunantunich, a long bus ride, and Lamanai, the least excavated and furthest away, full day trip. In Costa Maya, though, if you book with Native Choice, you will get a very good tour to one of two or three sets of Yucatan Maya ruins and a really good immersion into Maya culture from the guides.

This is a difficult choice since they all have unique qualities. I don't think Mahogany Bay has any Mayan ruins, so that narrows your options. In making your choice, it's a good idea to take different factors into consideration such as how much time you will be in port, the excursion price, as which one has the most appeal to you.

The Tulum ruins at Cozumel are very different from the others since they are built on a cliff overlooking the sea. The ruins in Belize (Lamanai) and Costa Maya (Kohunlich) are in the jungle so have that "lost civilization" type of feel to the experience.

You might ask yourself if you don't have the opportunity to go back again, which one would you regret not seeing? This question might help you decide.

Thanks for the information. I am traveling with a group of 15 (7 of which never have cruised). I'm the only one that has been to the Tulum ruins 16 years ago and I thought they were awesome and am fine with going back. From the pictures of Lamanai and Kohunlich both look very interesting. I was sold on Lamanai and the river boat safari until I saw the pictures of Kohunlich - now I'm torn. We are in Costa Maya from 12-8. I know that I'll be cruising in the future along with 5 others, so we'll have the opportunity in the future. In reality no one wants to ride on a bus 2 hours but we know that is a possibility going in depending on which ones we choose. The common theme between all of us is to see and learn about the Mayan culture. Also deciding on what we want to do and choose the island that offers the best experience. We know we want to see the monkeys/sloths and ziplining, so that is in Roatan. I believe Daniel Johnson's is the only place that has sloths. So I'm leaning toward a private tour (Rony's, Victor Bodden, Channin Bodden) Daniel Johnson's, either Canopy Tour or Extreme zipline, shopping and maybe the Cameo factory, Glass Bottom Boat and/or Gumbalima Park. One of the group is interested in visiting a tequila factory/liquor tasting. Cozumel would be the best place for that. If we don't do the Tulum ruins in Cozumel, there is really nothing left in Cozumel other than the tequila thing and shopping. We've tossed around the cave tubing and maybe snorkeling - barrier reef sounds interesting. Belize looks like it would be the best place for those. Personally this is not my thing. Decisions, decisions.

Edited by dorisdvu

• 1 month later...

We're doing the Ruins in Costa Maya, I don't walk very good but there looks like places to sit. We are taking the tour through the ship and it does say uneven walking. I will have my cane with me. Should i change to a beach day? I would hate to go all that way and not see the ruins.

Alice Faye

We're doing the Ruins in Costa Maya, I don't walk very good but there looks like places to sit. We are taking the tour through the ship and it does say uneven walking. I will have my cane with me. Should i change to a beach day? I would hate to go all that way and not see the ruins.

Alice Faye

Hi Alice!

The walking is not really uneven at all- no mountainous areas at all! :) There are areas to climb if you wish but they are not mandatory for viewing these amazing ruins! I would go for sure but bring lots of water! It will be hot. :)

Alice Faye

Take a look at my wife's picture slide show at the link below. It will give you a good idea of what to expect. I booked our excursion through the cruise line.

The ruins can be enjoyed from the ground level. You are not required to climb on them. In our group, there were people of various ages and physical abilities. Our guide noticed that, and gaged her walk though the grounds to accommodate everyone. We stopped now and then so it was not continuous walking.

Hope this helps.

Costa Maya Kohulich Mayan Ruins Excursion

Thanks for the information. I am traveling with a group of 15 (7 of which never have cruised).

One of the group is interested in visiting a tequila factory/liquor tasting. Cozumel would be the best place for that. If we don't do the Tulum ruins in Cozumel, there is really nothing left in Cozumel other than the tequila thing and shopping. We've tossed around the cave tubing and maybe snorkeling - barrier reef sounds interesting.

We did the Amazing Cozumel Race one time in Cozumel. It is a private excursion. It is in the top 3 of my all time favorite excursions. With a large group you could have multiple teams.