Adventure OTS - Rapid Review - 6/4/16

We flew into San Juan on the same day as the cruise. Flying around Colin, it was a bumpy ride but both Southwest flights left on time and arrived early. Got in around 1pm and made it to the cruise terminal to the organized hot humid chaos. Being from South Louisiana, it just felt like home. Despite daunting-looking lines, we processed through pretty quickly.

We went right to our non-connecting, side by side Deck 9 balcony rooms. One room barely had lukewarm shower all week. The other was great. Go figure. Both had more than adequate air conditioning. We had an awkward steward. He seemed to spend the day folding the same facecloth in a side passage. It was fine though because again we find these things funny more than not and it can make it all the more memorable.

We had wonderful waitstaff at the MDR who spoiled the teenagers. The food was adequate but apparently "spicy" is not on the menu. That's the cooks playing to the majority and we understand that. Enjoyed WJ which improved as the week went on for breakfast.

Amused again by Eastern European rules at the Champagne Bar. "No you will not like that drink." "No you want sweet drink, that is not sweet." Alright young man, you tell me what you are willing to make me. Lol.

The ship handled floating on the very calm and sublime Carib Sea very well the entire week. :-)

The ports were all fantastic and that's what we came for!

St Maartins - booked Personal Tours by Joyce and it was terrific. She has a lovely van and she took us for a cliff hike, to see Carl the Urchin Man (I picked this) and all around the island including a lovely swim at Orient Beach (gorgeous) and a look-see of Maho Beach. For 4 people it was less expensive than 4xshore excursion prices and she lets you spend as little or as much time as you want, where you want.

St Kitts - our Nevis excursion was cancelled due to lack of people. We walked to ferry terminal and contemplated doing it ourselves. We were quickly surrounded by locals who gave their various interesting opinions on whether it was worth the risk. We were charmed by a taxi driver who insisted his island was better. We decided to go with him and he took us all around the island very reasonably including the Brimstone fortress (beautiful views!) and the Black Rocks.

Antigua - Did the Kayak and Snorkel excursion. Very nice but it's a half day which felt very rushed. Only 20 minutes to snorkel at Bird Island. It was the only day it rained but the Antiguans were thrilled to have their first rain in 3 weeks.

St Lucia - highlight of trip. Booked full day Land, Sea with Spencer Ambrose. Everything about the day was perfection from the weather to the scenery to the hosts. He and his daughter pick you up in their speedboats right by the ship and off you go to see the volcano or mineral baths from Souffriere then back to the boats to go to Jalousie/Sugar Beach. It is the beach between the Pitons where you can swim, eat his delicious buffet, and snorkel. Other tours will go there but they come and go very quickly - Spencer gives you time to relax and pretty soon you are the last people left on the beach. He then takes you to a few more places including Marigot Bay. You make it back to ship with 5 minutes to spare. The rum punch is awesome. Fun day.

Barbados - Two shore excursions in on day - Andromeda Gardens and 4x4 Safari with Green Monkeys. Win goes to the Green Monkey tours. Honestly though, the tortoises steal the show.

We did stay in San Juan a few more days and really enjoyed El Yunque and seeing Old San Juan.

Go and have some fun.

Edited to add: AOTS was the only ship at every stop. No crowds at any port! Seems to be a good time to go as everyone kept saying "Our season is Oct to May".

Edited by PoolSlider

I have a question about your tour with Spencer Ambrose in St. Lucia. Were you nervous about getting back to the ship with only 5 minutes to all aboard? I have this booked and would be nervous if I didn't have about 30 minutes to spare before boarding.

My opinion is that his easy-going highly accommodating personality masks a serious professional. He will work hard to deliver a great day but he will not jeopardize your trip. If you do have worries you should voice them to him or his daughter. The group I was in was not concerned as several were on their 2nd and 3rd trip with him. He seems to get a lot of repeat business.

My opinion is that his easy-going highly accommodating personality masks a serious professional. He will work hard to deliver a great day but he will not jeopardize your trip. If you do have worries you should voice them to him or his daughter. The group I was in was not concerned as several were on their 2nd and 3rd trip with him. He seems to get a lot of repeat business.

Thank you, we sail Adventure this Saturday. I will have no worries especially after rum punch.

Great Review!

I was wondering about the ice show. Did you go to the ice show? And do you know if you can get tickets before you board? Thanks!

Was on this cruise in January and they do not issue tickets on AOS for the ice show. But arrive early because the good seats get filled quick. It is a fantastic show! We were on a B2B and went both weeks even though it was the same show! Hope this helps you out!

Great Review!

I was wondering about the ice show. Did you go to the ice show? And do you know if you can get tickets before you board? Thanks!

You cannot get ice show tickets pre-cruise. If tickets are required, you will be notified on board as to the ticket distribution process.

Great Review!

No tickets. Get there a half hour before showtime. The seats will get full before showtime.

Thanks for the concise and informative review. We are on AOTS in 11 days and it was good to hear you flew in the same day, as we are, the consensus on the boards is to arrive a day early. I was just slightly nervous but after reading your review we should be okay coming from Tampa direct. Did you take a cab to the port and how hard was it getting one?

Getting a cab is easy in San Juan Airport. There is an official line after the baggage claim. You are asked where you are going and are given a slip of paper with the rate. For 4 people with 4 suitcases to the Pan Am cruise terminal was $26 total.

I also want to correct the St Martin tour name: it was Joyce Prince Tours. Highly recommended!

The ice show was great - I'm not usually the ice show type but it was quite acrobatic and entertaining. Yes, definitely get to the studio 30 minutes ahead for seats!

Oh and it's worth mentioning that this ship is divided in two parts and it can be confusing as to which deck can take you all the way forward or aft. Find the ice rink in the bowels of the ship in advance!

Edited by PoolSlider