Seward question

mycruise2000

I'd recommend you call Major Marine and discuss that with them.

Based on our trip three weeks ago docking in Seward and taking the Kenai Fjords Tours tour (next door to Major Marine I think), I'd say you probably don't want to do that walk with your bags.

See the map here: https://goo.gl/maps/G3tF9ntbceF2

We disembarked through the cruise terminal (yellow building labelled Cruise Line Agencies of Alaska) and boarded a small shuttle bus that took us over to the Kenai Fjords Tour agency. I'm not positive where you'd board the train since we spent that night at Seward Windsong Lodge and took a coach over to Anchorage the next morning.

Edited by gpb11

I recommend you just drop your bags off at the depot yourself, before your tour. There are shuttle buses that go to the train station. The benefit of this, you get your bags there, no chance of misplacement. PLUS, you have to show id to pick up your train tickets, each person. Having that done early is much better than scrambling to get your tickets and on the train, especially for a first timer. I've eaten on the train, which is very good, but, I've also enjoyed a Subway, which I have time to get if I want to, since I already have my ticket and bags are checked.

This is not to say Major Marine doesn't provide good service, they certainly do. But the timing is superior, with getting your ticket in advance.

For those doing this in reverse- arriving by train and doing Major Marine, they provide the service of delivering your bags to the cruise ship. Just be certain, they are properly tagged. :) (this is IF they aren't transferred from the depot, some cruise lines do this as well)

We are also dropping our bags off at the train station after disembarkation. The train

website allows this, and will really be nice to get rid of them to enjoy the day in Seward

with our lightened load. No matter what we decide to do. :)

And the train station is a simple walking distance to the charter boats.

Edited by island lady

I recommend you just drop your bags off at the depot yourself, before your tour. There are shuttle buses that go to the train station. The benefit of this, you get your bags there, no chance of misplacement. PLUS, you have to show id to pick up your train tickets, each person. Having that done early is much better than scrambling to get your tickets and on the train, especially for a first timer. I've eaten on the train, which is very good, but, I've also enjoyed a Subway, which I have time to get if I want to, since I already have my ticket and bags are checked.

This is not to say Major Marine doesn't provide good service, they certainly do. But the timing is superior, with getting your ticket in advance.

For those doing this in reverse- arriving by train and doing Major Marine, they provide the service of delivering your bags to the cruise ship. Just be certain, they are properly tagged. :) (this is IF they aren't transferred from the depot, some cruise lines do this as well)

Budget Queen, that's a good piece of advise. Totally forgot about picking tickets. So I take the shuttle to station get the tickets and drop off the bags. How far is it from train station to Major marine office? walkable?

Hello,

We will disembark in Seward via Celebrity and taking a Major Marine Kenai Fjords tour. Can we walk with bags from ship to Major Marine office also how far from Major marine office to Train station.

Thanks

You can walk, but it will not be fun with luggage. The distance is not too far maybe a mile, but the roads are uneven and is not going to be fun. Walking to the train station is easier, maybe half a mile, on sidewalks so the luggage will be easier.

I would suggest a cab or shuttle from the ship.

Budget Queen, that's a good piece of advise. Totally forgot about picking tickets. So I take the shuttle to station get the tickets and drop off the bags. How far is it from train station to Major marine office? walkable?

less that 10 minute walk. between the depot and Major Marine