Jacket/coat suggestions for July in Denali and cruise

PixiTrix

Leaving on July 8 and need some advice for jacket/coats to buy/take. I know that layering is the key because weather can be warm, but also rainy, and cold in certain places.

My husband does not have a particularly warm jacket. He has a Dickie's lightly-lined jacket, but not super warm. He has a leather biker's jacket that is really heavy and probably now too small :p. That's about it.

I have lots of jackets to choose from, including hoodies and a waterproof number that is lightweight/easy to pack.

We are doing a land and sea.

What coat/jacket suggestions do you have?

I will probably have to order one for my husband online in the next couple days.

a waterproof jacket preferably with a hood.

The layer UNDERNEATH is what provides the warmth (a fleece, hoody, or sweater.)

Take a small daypack so you have somewhere to pack that layer if the day warms up. Plus its a place to store gloves, wallet, camera, sunglasses, etc

I agree with mapleleaves. Waterproof with a hood, and layer underneath. I like to wear a ball cap under my rain jacket hood - it keeps the hood from slipping down over my eyes, and keeps the rain off my glasses.

Your husband's dickies jacket is probably fine, layered with long and/or short sleeved shirts as needed. Try to find a waterproof shell with a hood that will fit over it.

Should it be past the hips? What I am seeing online (at first glance) on Amazon are mostly at the waist, except for the typical rain poncho.

The jacket I have covers the hips.

The more of you that's dry, the more you will be able to enjoy.

I find a rain/waterproof windbreaker type coat with large pockets & a full zippered front to be the best. Most come with a hood. Yes, they can be pricey, however you will get many years of use out of the them. They fold up nicely, easy to pack in your day bag or backpack.

Check out Cabela's, Pro Bass Shops, Columbia Sportswear, or any local sporting goods store. I take mine with me on every trip, year around.

Good Luck, John

It's nowhere near as cold as you think in July. A giant heavy coat isn't needed.

Layer up, throw a waterproof something on and you're golden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, it's not really all that cold, unless you consider 60s cold. The only cold temperatures we encountered on our June trip were deep within Glacier Bay (of course, it has to be cold surrounded byy all that ice). On deck, with wind from the ship's movement, it felt pretty chilly. And also when we took a helicopter ride that landed on a glacier, and even that didn't seem very cold (no wind, bright sun; a sweatshirt + rain jacket and gloves were enough). Denali was the coolest stop at about 62 daytime and 50 nighttime.

If you are taking an excursion to one of the glaciers and walking a bit, it will be cold.

Plus it could be cold on deck while in Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We were glad to have hat, gloves and a warmer jacket.

Ketchikan, our first stop, had the perfect weight jacket for $20. My MIL had packed only a light-weight hoodie so we picked up a couple of the jackets. I still wear mine in the Texas winters when the temps drop to 40 degrees.

Glacier Bay (of course, it has to be cold surrounded byy all that ice).

If you are taking an excursion to one of the glaciers and walking a bit, it will be cold.

Really depends on the weather that week. On two separate trips I've been down to a tech tee on both on Mendenhall glacier, and in Glacier Bay. That's why it's so important to have removable layers. You do NOT want to sweat and dampen your base layer - if you do you'll be miserable when temperatures drop later in the day, or you move out of the warm sun. (also why I recommend wearing a tech fabric base layer - they dry 10x faster than cotton)

We swear by our Columbia 2 part jackets. Removable inner fleece jacket that can be worn alone if it is dry and not windy. Water resistant outer shell can be worn alone if it is wet and warm. Both for wet or windy. I wore mine for 14 years in Minnesota winters - my go-to jacket down to 0°F. Below that it was a heavy parka. The flexibility of the 2 pc jacket really reduces packing space needed.

Even in July anywhere near glaciers will be cool to cold (unless you're from MN ;) ). But when we were at Denali in late June it was in in the 80's.

Ah the tales of weather in Alaska. First cruise ,northbound, bright sunshine in Vancouver , never saw it again. Great kayaking in the rain in Ketchikan. Last time so warm in Ketchikan that the locals did not know how to deal with it Both in August.

I have only 1 word for Alaska cruisers. LAYERS!!!