Honest opinions of Pacific Dawn

Hi guys and gals!

Going on my first ever cruise on 27/8/16 with a friend on the Pacific Dawn for my 40th. VERY excited about the trip (7 day 'Island Hooper') and am staying in a suite - I figured I'd splurge on accommodation given the occasion. :)

I've seen some very mixed reviews regarding the Pacific Dawn online, some people either love it or hate it - there doesn't seem to be many middle ground. Granted, people generally will only post a quick review of anything if it leaves a strong impression on them (whether that be positive or negative) so I'm assuming for the most part that the Dawn is quite a good ship to sail on.

To see what I mean - have a look here:

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/p-o-cruises/m/pacific-dawn.html

So my question to those that have sailed on her recently - what's your honest opinion of the ship? How's the food, service, entertainment, rooms and facilities?

Hi

My wife and I are cruise fanatics. We started in 2011 and, while trying to slow down, are tending to take two cruises a year (three in this last year). We were on the Dawn in August of last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. In a month, we're off on the Jewel (the Dawn's sister ship). How a person reviews a ship – be it the Dawn or any other ship – is very much down to expectations of the person. We've seen this time and again.

If they go onboard expecting to be waited on hand-and-foot, to have gold-plated taps and to have a waiter bowing before them upon a click of their fingers, then they'll be disappointed and likely have a complain via a review. I remember lounging on a side deck during the day on a P&O ship. An older couple were doing the same thing just a few feet away. A staff member roped off a small area and began to mop the deck. One of the older people said with a loud, posh voice, "You'd never experience THIS on (such-and-such a cruise line)!" We have heard other similar comments. The reviews they leave don't reflect the quality of the ship. Instead, they merely reflect the views of someone who wants to be waited on in every way possible. Personally, I ignore those reviews.

If, on the other hand, they go onboard just to have a good time and don't expect royal treatment, they come home and write great reviews. Why the difference? They appreciate the smiling faces of the staff members. They also appreciate the all-you-can-eat meals, the ocean views, the live music, the staff they get to know personally, the shows, the cultures they get to mix with on land . . .

These latter ones experience the same "problems" as the former. But the latter don't let them become their focus. Yes, occasional – on any ship – the buffet meals may become a bit much the same after a number of days at sea, a Waterfront meal may come out not quite according to order, or a staff member may be instructed to lead an activity that they're not actually skilled in. But most people will say, "Big deal!".

With the exception of the occasional cruise where things may just go all wrong, which can happen with any holiday, you will be sure to have a great time if you go with the correct attitude and appreciate all there is to enjoy and accept any little "issues" without stressing over them.

Sadly, people who want to complain tend to gravitate to review sites. As a result, many of the reviews are very negative.

Thanks mate!

I agree with everything you say. Some people do tend to be overly fussy and 'nit picky' and like to complain about things that most of us would simply either ignore or get over pretty quickly.

I am definitely in the 'just want to enjoy the experience and be open minded' camp, I have no expectations at all in regards to the cruise. :)

Haven't been on her recently, but a year ago a group of us sailed on her for my mum's 50th. We had a great time. Being my first cruise I really enjoyed it and had little to nothing to complain about. My aunty who cruises allot mentioned it was a basic cruise and others were better but for the price she couldn't complain.

Entertainment was fun and upbeat with a young crew conducting fun activities and the performers from theatrical shows to comedy nights were all well worth attending.

The staff and their service was great. They didn't wait on you hand and foot, but would help when approached. Food was of good quality, but we did dine in the waterfront restaurant 85% of the time.

I paid for a few extra's like the high tea, wine tasting, bingo and cocktail making. All of these were well worth the money and very enjoyable.

We did Noumea, Lifou and Vila and while we did not pre-purchase tours, we did hire drivers at Lifou and Vila and let the driver show us around. In Noumea we purchased tickets for the hop on hop off bus and hopped off to look around at a few stops but being a Monday afternoon/ evening allot of places were closed.

I hope you enjoy your holiday as we did ours. I wouldn't be too discouraged by the bad reviews. I think allot of people compare to their other cruise lines/ ships that we don't have available here in QLD. All in all its an older dated ship (think 90's) and the cabins can probably be compared to a 3 star hotel rated room.

We have traveled on four different cruise lines and are going on the Dawn again next week for about the sixth time. In our experience P&O are not the flashiest cruise line but are usually very good value for money and one of the most fun. The sail away parties leave the other lines for dead and we have found the staff to be amongst the best. Go with the right attitude and you will have a great time

Cheers,

Mark

And you are in for a fantastic time if your CD is Willie Lee. We have been on cruise lines ranging from P & O to Cunard, celebrity, royal caribbean, princess and carnival, probably getting close to 20 odd cruises, and never had a CD who was anywhere near as good as Willie. He makes the cruise fun, but can also be serious when the situation calls for it - we attended a wonderful Anzac Day service on the Pacific Jewel he officiated at.

We have travelled on the Dawn about 7 times and always had a great time.

I think a good cruise director sets the tone of the ship and Willie Lee is fabulous. Last year his shows in the Dome were standing room only and a lot of fun.

The best thing to pack on a cruise is a great attitude. Somethings might not be just to your liking but that happens everyday at home.

I love cruising because I don't have to cook, clean or make my bed and even better unless I am at Salt when I leave the restaurant I don't have to pay.

Our next cruise is to PNG our second cruise on the Aria and I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

i think my comedian friend will be on this cruise but not sure if he is joining it at brissie as i think he said leaving for it on 28th so maybe hopping on when you get to the next port totally great guy if i have the right cruise for his show i do hope if you see him you enjoy his show

• 3 months later...

A ship is a ship. What matters is that you go to enjoy yourself, be polite to crew you will get returns with great service. Amazing how many people treat the crew like they are lesser people. Some things won't suit you or maybe irritate you, move on and just enjoy your cruise. I love the Pacific Dawn, hang on I love all the ships I cruise on.

Hi

My wife and I are cruise fanatics. We started in 2011 and, while trying to slow down, are tending to take two cruises a year (three in this last year). We were on the Dawn in August of last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. In a month, we're off on the Jewel (the Dawn's sister ship). How a person reviews a ship – be it the Dawn or any other ship – is very much down to expectations of the person. We've seen this time and again.

If they go onboard expecting to be waited on hand-and-foot, to have gold-plated taps and to have a waiter bowing before them upon a click of their fingers, then they'll be disappointed and likely have a complain via a review. I remember lounging on a side deck during the day on a P&O ship. An older couple were doing the same thing just a few feet away. A staff member roped off a small area and began to mop the deck. One of the older people said with a loud, posh voice, "You'd never experience THIS on (such-and-such a cruise line)!" We have heard other similar comments. The reviews they leave don't reflect the quality of the ship. Instead, they merely reflect the views of someone who wants to be waited on in every way possible. Personally, I ignore those reviews.

If, on the other hand, they go onboard just to have a good time and don't expect royal treatment, they come home and write great reviews. Why the difference? They appreciate the smiling faces of the staff members. They also appreciate the all-you-can-eat meals, the ocean views, the live music, the staff they get to know personally, the shows, the cultures they get to mix with on land . . .

These latter ones experience the same "problems" as the former. But the latter don't let them become their focus. Yes, occasional – on any ship – the buffet meals may become a bit much the same after a number of days at sea, a Waterfront meal may come out not quite according to order, or a staff member may be instructed to lead an activity that they're not actually skilled in. But most people will say, "Big deal!".

With the exception of the occasional cruise where things may just go all wrong, which can happen with any holiday, you will be sure to have a great time if you go with the correct attitude and appreciate all there is to enjoy and accept any little "issues" without stressing over them.

Sadly, people who want to complain tend to gravitate to review sites. As a result, many of the reviews are very negative.

Excellent reply. As cruise addicts my DH and I agree with you wholeheartedly. We have never had a cruise we didn't enjoy. Little things happen at times, but so do they in our daily lives. I count myself so very lucky to be able to cruise - we live very frugally to do so. :)