Sunday after thanksgiving cruise w/14 year old??

My 14 year old is soon to be 15. We normally do vacations for our birthday's (Sep, Oct, & Nov) this year I am going on a cruise for my 35th birthday without him, he is dying of jealously so I am now looking at a cruise for his birthday. I am looking at a 4 day from Long Beach, with ports in Ensenada, and Catalina Island. (West Coast sailings are few and far between) 11/27/16 so right after Thanksgiving. Anyone have experiance on after Thanksgiving cruises? My question is this can a 14 year old have fun on a cruise without friends? I mean it would be me, him, and maybe our other brother. I think the ability to say he has done it would outweigh the what do we do now-ness, but who knows. He is very tech savvy, kinda shy, just loves adventure and wandering around. Obviously I have never been on a cruise and I do not know what to accept for teens. Any advise is helpful. Thank you. :D

I am taking that same cruise next month, so I've been doing a lot of research on it and the ports.

First of all, post-Thanksgiving, I think you will find few children or teens on board as they will have just had a school holiday. The number of teens will probably be even lower since many parents of teens (and the teens themselves) are concerned about missing school work, tests, etc. So, it's unlikely there will be many teens for your son to hang out with, if that is something he would want to do.

The ports themselves are pretty good for teens. My daughter lives out in LA and has been to Catalina several times. She says there is minigolf, snorkeling, hiking, and ICE CREAM! My research on Ensenada has shown one activity that your teen might enjoy--a zipline. It's not offered as a ship's excursion, so you'd have to book it yourself. The company is called Las Canadas and they get a 5-star rating on Trip Advisor.

I am taking that same cruise next month, so I've been doing a lot of research on it and the ports.

First of all, post-Thanksgiving, I think you will find few children or teens on board as they will have just had a school holiday. The number of teens will probably be even lower since many parents of teens (and the teens themselves) are concerned about missing school work, tests, etc. So, it's unlikely there will be many teens for your son to hang out with, if that is something he would want to do.

The ports themselves are pretty good for teens. My daughter lives out in LA and has been to Catalina several times. She says there is minigolf, snorkeling, hiking, and ICE CREAM! My research on Ensenada has shown one activity that your teen might enjoy--a zipline. It's not offered as a ship's excursion, so you'd have to book it yourself. The company is called Las Canadas and they get a 5-star rating on Trip Advisor.

Thank you very much! I just assumed since he's out of school other kids will be too. I always forget all schools are different.

I am taking my 14 soon to be 15 year old son on an 11/27 cruise for his birthday as well, so I was very excited to see this. Sadly, we are sailing out of Baltimore, so not the same cruise.

We are going on the same cruise next month with three teenage boys who would love this. Do you have a link to book online? I couldn't find one. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

My 14 year old is soon to be 15. We normally do vacations for our birthday's (Sep, Oct, & Nov) this year I am going on a cruise for my 35th birthday without him, he is dying of jealously so I am now looking at a cruise for his birthday. I am looking at a 4 day from Long Beach, with ports in Ensenada, and Catalina Island. (West Coast sailings are few and far between) 11/27/16 so right after Thanksgiving. Anyone have experiance on after Thanksgiving cruises? My question is this can a 14 year old have fun on a cruise without friends? I mean it would be me, him, and maybe our other brother. I think the ability to say he has done it would outweigh the what do we do now-ness, but who knows. He is very tech savvy, kinda shy, just loves adventure and wandering around. Obviously I have never been on a cruise and I do not know what to accept for teens. Any advise is helpful. Thank you. :D

We've done 3 cruises on the week right after Thanksgiving. (a) fares are lower, (b) it's my wife's birthday and © we usually fly to the port on black friday, so all of that chaos doesn't concern us ;)

During that week, there's always fewer kids but there are always some. Depending on your son's personality though he may like it better. I wouldn't worry about him being bored. Hey, it's a cruise, right?

First of all, post-Thanksgiving, I think you will find few

The ports themselves are pretty good for teens. My daughter lives out in LA and has been to Catalina several times. She says there is minigolf, snorkeling, hiking.

Snorkeling in California in November will be an extremely frigid adventure. Brrrrr........

We are going on the same cruise next month with three teenage boys who would love this. Do you have a link to book online? I couldn't find one. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Based on the Trip Advisor reviews, it looks like you don't have to book the canopy tour in advance-- just show up. But if you want to call them, TA provides a phone number.

I've cruised one time right after Thanksgiving. I would say the average age of the ship was 65. It was funny, but nice as we had no problems getting great seats for any of the shows. Loved how much cheaper that cruise was for us. Would definitely go again that week.