Royston vs Grey's Tours

miss_rach

All,

We're heading to St Kitts in a few weeks and starting to think about doing one of the Island tours. Reading a few posts in different places I see there are (at least) two companies that do tours. Royston ($45pp) and Greys' ($55pp).

Are the the same type of tours? Any recommendations on Pros/Cons for either of them?

Cheers!

There are many that do island tours. The two operators that you mention do a very good job of the tours that they offer. They are very different though. I would call Royston's tour as "off the beaten path" while Thenford Grey's tours are more formal.

Sometimes he will go "off road" with his van. It is not air conditioned but he will remove the side windows for air movement but this provides for some great photo ops. Royston tour is what you want it to be. Typically a small group of 6 or less. He will provide some drinks( water, beer or local soda) plus some local food. I love the raisin rolls. It is a one man show so if he is off island you will have to try again on your next visit to St Kitts.

We just did the Grand Tour ($55/pp) on July 7th with Thenford Gray tours. Absolutely worth every penny. He is extremely knowledgable about the history of St Kitts and just about anything else you might want to know.

We had time to explore the Brimstone Fortress, which was amazing. The $10 fee for the fortress is already included in your tour price.

We also had time to explore Romney Mansion (or Gardens). Very beautiful. Again, the $3 entry fee is already included in your tour price. If you are a quilter and love Batik fabrics, do NOT miss this stop. They demonstrate how Batik fabrics are made and offer a ton of beautiful fabrics there. I bought a 2 yard piece of batik along with a pound of charm squares and 3 bags of scraps as well as several cosmetic bags made with their fabrics to give as gifts.

We did take a slow drive through the Sugar Mill grounds, but did not stop there. I would have enjoyed more time there.

We also stopped at several other places that were very picturesque.

We also got to spend time at a beach.

Just like every other Caribbean Island, there is still a lot of poverty there.

Thenford was an awesome guide and I wouldn't hesitate to take another tour with him. You do not pay until the end of the tour. Simply fill out the form on their website and select the desired tour and date. I had a confirmation email from him the next day.

Royston has a bad habit of quoting you $45 for the tour then charging you less. How is a man supposed to make money like that?:eek:

We loved the Royston "off the beaten path" tour. When we sent my in-laws they were not as thrilled. They are not quite as adventurous. AND MIL is terrified of heights and did not like going up the utility road to get that great view of where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic. Soooo beautiful and they were mortified.

Edited by volleyballmom87

• 3 weeks later...

Did Royston tours in April with my wife and inlaws. There were 2 other people on the tour so six total. It was a great tour. He will take you on the edge of cliffs for better views and to the waters edge on the beach. It is different but fun. He is a great guy. The van is rusted and beat down but that gives the appeal of it all. He likes to crack some jokes along the way. One part we were on the road around the curve with no guardrails. He said guardrails are too expensive. Very laid back.

For Thenford Grey, try his email.

thenang06@yahoo.com

His vans are comfortable with air conditioning. A few years ago Thenford Grey was our guide for an island tour with beach. He is very knowledgable and personable. My mother adored him!

Last week my son and I went on the multibeach snorkel tour. We had a driver and tour guide, Mr Henry Williams, a certified diver Mandela, and his assistant Gregory. It was absolutely wonderful!

They told us that anytime we wanted to stop we just had to ask. They drove us around Basseterre describing everything, and showed us so many beautiful spectacular views on the way to the snorkle beach. We stopped many times and they helped us take lots of photos. My son wanted to see a monkey and they knew about the guy with the donkey and monkey at Timothy Hill.

We snorkeled at White House Bay (they let you go at your pace, as far and as long as you want) and dived down to show us urchins, flounders, octopus, and we even saw a turtle!

We asked to be dropped off at Cockleshell beach, and they said "stay as long as you want, we'll be here when you're ready to leave".

On the way back, they stopped by the road and showed us more sights. I asked about their black sand beaches, and they said they will stop and show me one.

This was a spectacular tour!