Sign Language Interpreter (ASL) - Thank you Carnival!

JoshPSU

My GF requested and received an ASL translator on her upcoming Carnival cruise at no cost. She is Deaf.

Date: July 25, 2016

RE: Interpreter Request for the Carnival Splendor July 30, 2016 –

Dear: XXXXXX

Carnival Cruise Line is dedicated to offering a quality cruising experience for our guests with disabilities and special requirements. Our ships provide excellent service and a variety of accessibility features to make your voyage an exciting, relaxing and a memorable one.

We are delighted to confirm your request for a sign language interpreter (s) on the Carnival Splendor sailing July 30, 2016 Interpreters are name 1 and name 2 which are subject to change.

We want to make you aware of some important information and kindly ask that you read this letter in its entirety and contact us if you have any questions.

Services:

Primary responsibility of the INTERPRETER(S) is effective and accurate communication with deaf passengers of all on board policies and procedures, including and especially, all safety and emergency policies, procedures and drills.

Sign language interpretation services will be provided by INTERPRETER(S) for approximate/average EIGHT (8) hour day and for specific functions/activities, including, but not limited to:

Safety drills, fire drills, or other safety meetings

Health, fitness and beauty demonstrations

Travel & shop talk to discuss U.S. Customs laws, including embarkation and disembarkation when Customs officials are present

Port/shore side lectures

Special theatrical shows

Live trivia quizzes or other interactive games

Deck games

Gaming events (i.e., horse racing, BINGO, etc.)

Talent shows

“Welcome Aboard” meetings

And/or any other group or individual meetings, which require interpretation services as, requested by the Cruise Staff (i.e., specialty demonstrations such as culinary demonstrations, art auctions, etc.)

Youth program activities when applicable

Social activities (as requested by the guest)

INTERPRETER(S) are not required to interpret during meals

INTERPRETER(S) are on a shared basis with other deaf guests onboard

Shore Excursions:

All shore excursions/tours are operated by independent contractors and as such, Carnival cannot guarantee space on purchased shores tours for sign language interpreters. We will notify the contractor of any request for accommodations. Shore tours operated within the United States and its territories are responsible to provide you with effective communication. Tours operating in foreign ports may not provide auxiliary aids and services, depending on local law and availability. For guided narrated tours where the tour operator is not providing interpreters, and the interpreter provided by Carnival Cruise Line elects to participate in shore tours, we will make every attempt to assist by arranging for a complimentary tour ticket for the interpreter(s).

However, if we are unable to do so, you may purchase the tour for the interpreter(s) or forgo interpreter’s services for the tour.

If you have purchased a pre or post package with Carnival Cruise Line, please know these packages are operated by independent contractors who are responsible for providing effective communication and appropriate auxiliary aids and services. We will, however, communicate any request for accommodations to the contractors.

Carnival Cruise Line will also provide you with a in Cabin Alert System, which will be placed in your stateroom, and includes visual notifications, doorknocker, bed shaker, smoke alarm and a phone amplifier (for hard of hearing guests).

Should your cruise plans change, we ask that you kindly contact Guest Access Services to cancel or reschedule the interpreter.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard for a fun and memorable cruise.

Sincerely,

This is great news, indeed.

I am deaf and have bilateral cochlear implants. I do not know ASL as I had a sudden, total hearing loss a few years ago at the age of 49.

My wish is that Carnival would provide loop systems in their show lounges so that I could understand what is being said, and monitors around the ship for announcements, trivia games, etc. As it is, I cannot take part in many of the activities around the ship. Cochlear implants are wonderful for one-on-one conversations, but throw in some background noise like music, chattering crowds, clanking dishes and such, I am pretty much on my own.

That's great to read about Carnival providing an interpreter.

I am in similar situation as Taters, and I also wish all ships would install loops. The technology is simple.

I was on the Holland America Zuiderdam in April and I believe they had installed loops for the main show lounge and small movie theater because it was the clearest sound I've ever experienced on a ship. It was such a pleasure to be able to hear the cruise director and understand the narrative she was giving about the Panama Canal. What a difference.

They also were very helpful with arrangements needed for my service dog. HAL is great about that.

That's great to read about Carnival providing an interpreter.

I am in similar situation as Taters, and I also wish all ships would install loops. The technology is simple.

I was on the Holland America Zuiderdam in April and I believe they had installed loops for the main show lounge and small movie theater because it was the clearest sound I've ever experienced on a ship. It was such a pleasure to be able to hear the cruise director and understand the narrative she was giving about the Panama Canal. What a difference.

They also were very helpful with arrangements needed for my service dog. HAL is great about that.

This is very interesting, Chris! My next cruise is on HAL's new Koningsdam. Did you engage your T-coil when you were in the lounge and theater?

When I was booking the cruise, I did ask the HAL rep if this new ship has loop technology for the hearing impaired and she honestly didn't know. And when I've looked at the special needs paperwork on the web site, there isn't anything addressing hearing loss at all. This will only be my 2nd HAL cruise, my first being on Statendam in 2011, a year prior to losing my hearing.

Thanks,

Annie

I am not sure of what all the loop technology involves; but I will say that if it's live, you would have to have a CART writer (court reporter) there to write what's being said for the loop -- and then you'd have to have more than one for each activity. Not saying it can't be done but it would require several court reporters and it could be cost prohibitive. It could work fine for pre-recorded messages.

I am not hearing impaired so I have no expertise in that area, but I am a court reporter so I have some information on that end of it.

Josh, when you went to go watch shows, did they reserve two seats in the front row so that your girlfriend would be able to see the interpreters clearly or did you still have to go half an hour early to save your seats?

My hubby and I have requested an ASL interpreter for the RC's Liberty of the Sea for September 25th and this is our first time doing it without others.

Did you give the interpreter a schedule ahead of time so that he/she knew where you guys wanted to be/see?

Thanks for answering my questions!

I am not sure of what all the loop technology involves; but I will say that if it's live, you would have to have a CART writer (court reporter) there to write what's being said for the loop -- and then you'd have to have more than one for each activity. Not saying it can't be done but it would require several court reporters and it could be cost prohibitive. It could work fine for pre-recorded messages.

I am not hearing impaired so I have no expertise in that area, but I am a court reporter so I have some information on that end of it.

A loop system involves a receiver and a wire loop that can be installed either in the flooring or in the ceiling of a particular venue, like a show lounge or theater, or a portion of this space. Once inside the loop, a hearing impaired person can turn on their telecoil (T-coil) and the sound is streamed directly to their hearing aid or cochlear implant. Loop systems are installed in many churches and theaters, and some folks have small systems in their homes for watching TV or listening to music.

CART services would be appropriate for folks with total hearing loss that do not have hearing aids or cochlear implants and do not have access to an ASL interpreter, or do not know ASL. And yes, at sometimes $200 per hour, those costs can be prohibitive.

It would be nice, though, if there is an itinerary change or an emergency, if someone from the ship could type out the basic messages and that those are provided on monitors around the ship. It would cost someone a few minutes of their time. Many ships have monitors scattered around advertising various things already, as well as large TV screens on the lido deck.

A loop system involves a receiver and a wire loop that can be installed either in the flooring or in the ceiling of a particular venue, like a show lounge or theater, or a portion of this space. Once inside the loop, a hearing impaired person can turn on their telecoil (T-coil) and the sound is streamed directly to their hearing aid or cochlear implant. Loop systems are installed in many churches and theaters, and some folks have small systems in their homes for watching TV or listening to music.

CART services would be appropriate for folks with total hearing loss that do not have hearing aids or cochlear implants and do not have access to an ASL interpreter, or do not know ASL. And yes, at sometimes $200 per hour, those costs can be prohibitive.

It would be nice, though, if there is an itinerary change or an emergency, if someone from the ship could type out the basic messages and that those are provided on monitors around the ship. It would cost someone a few minutes of their time. Many ships have monitors scattered around advertising various things already, as well as large TV screens on the lido deck.

Thank you for that information. When you said "loop," I was thinking closed captioning. Having a loop system seems like it would be pretty easy to implement.

Josh, when you went to go watch shows, did they reserve two seats in the front row so that your girlfriend would be able to see the interpreters clearly or did you still have to go half an hour early to save your seats?

My hubby and I have requested an ASL interpreter for the RC's Liberty of the Sea for September 25th and this is our first time doing it without others.

Did you give the interpreter a schedule ahead of time so that he/she knew where you guys wanted to be/see?

Thanks for answering my questions!

I'm not Josh but I had interpreters on my May sailing of Liberty of the Seas (And will again for my 9/4 sailing). The interpreters reserved seats for the two of us in the second row of the theater (there are two seats that don't have the first row in front of them) and the interpreters sat in this space. Every night, I would tell them what events I would need them for the next day. On the first day, they will be at your muster station so I stay after muster to set up the first evening. Also, no matter how much RCL tells you to go to the Guest Services desk when you board to find this out, they will likely know nothing there so from now on, I just plan to wait until muster...

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

This is very interesting, Chris! My next cruise is on HAL's new Koningsdam. Did you engage your T-coil when you were in the lounge and theater?

When I was booking the cruise, I did ask the HAL rep if this new ship has loop technology for the hearing impaired and she honestly didn't know. And when I've looked at the special needs paperwork on the web site, there isn't anything addressing hearing loss at all. This will only be my 2nd HAL cruise, my first being on Statendam in 2011, a year prior to losing my hearing.

Thanks,

Annie

Yes, IIFC, I used the telecoil setting. It makes a world of difference. Our downtown Selby library here in Sarasota has a loop in the auditorium, and I enjoy going there so much for programs.

I commented about this on the HAL thread a while back, and someone posted a reply that the line had recently invested in some major sound system upgrades. So it would be logical that the Kdam will have the same - fingers crossed for you.

If you download the special needs form, you can write in at the bottom what you need. They have provided me with a kit in the room with lights that flash etc., however my dog does take care of my sound alerts.

A problem I've had on ships, at concerts and in movie theaters is excessive volume, like at the dancer-singer production shows. The sound is so painfully loud that I take out my hearing aid, and at times it's actually hard for my dog to tolerate.

Thank you for that information. When you said "loop," I was thinking closed captioning. Having a loop system seems like it would be pretty easy to implement.

They are easy, and it's annoying that they aren't universal. I have found hearing loop systems in public places like National Park Service auditoriums, and they make a huge difference. Virtually all digital hearing aids now have telecoil so, which also receive sound from cell phones.

I'm not Josh but I had interpreters on my May sailing of Liberty of the Seas (And will again for my 9/4 sailing). The interpreters reserved seats for the two of us in the second row of the theater (there are two seats that don't have the first row in front of them) and the interpreters sat in this space. Every night, I would tell them what events I would need them for the next day. On the first day, they will be at your muster station so I stay after muster to set up the first evening. Also, no matter how much RCL tells you to go to the Guest Services desk when you board to find this out, they will likely know nothing there so from now on, I just plan to wait until muster...

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh awesome!! Besides the shows, what else can the interpreters do? Can they go to the meet and mingle? Slot pull (our roll call organized this)

Too bad you're not going on the 9/25 as it would be cool to meet you! ;)

Oh awesome!! Besides the shows, what else can the interpreters do? Can they go to the meet and mingle? Slot pull (our roll call organized this)

Too bad you're not going on the 9/25 as it would be cool to meet you! ;)

I'm not sure if they would be able to interpret those events. Officially, RCL says this: "...interpreting services are provided for main production shows, port and shopping presentations and other major activities...". I did not attend those events on my last cruise but it would not hurt to ask. I would imagine that they would be willing to do so. I know that when I asked to have the parade interpreted, they were happy to do so.

I know that they will try to go on excursions booked through RCL if you tell them when first meeting them so they can get tickets.

Too bad we aren't on the same sailing. It would have been great to meet you as well!

I'm not sure if they would be able to interpret those events. Officially, RCL says this: "...interpreting services are provided for main production shows, port and shopping presentations and other major activities...". I did not attend those events on my last cruise but it would not hurt to ask. I would imagine that they would be willing to do so. I know that when I asked to have the parade interpreted, they were happy to do so.

I know that they will try to go on excursions booked through RCL if you tell them when first meeting them so they can get tickets.

Too bad we aren't on the same sailing. It would have been great to meet you as well!

Oooh, thanks for the tip regarding excursions - I'll be sure to let them know when meeting them for the first time.

Are you by any chance going on the Harmony TA? We are :D

Oooh, thanks for the tip regarding excursions - I'll be sure to let them know when meeting them for the first time.

Are you by any chance going on the Harmony TA? We are :D

You're welcome! I'm sure that the excursions are subject to availability but hopefully it will work out for you!

I WISH I was going on the Harmony TA! We have always wanted to go on one. Starting next year, I'll have more vacation time and then it may very well become a reality!

You're welcome! I'm sure that the excursions are subject to availability but hopefully it will work out for you!

I WISH I was going on the Harmony TA! We have always wanted to go on one. Starting next year, I'll have more vacation time and then it may very well become a reality!

It's our first time on a T.A. so I'll let you know how it went! We also requested interpreters for it as well. ;)

Yes, IIFC, I used the telecoil setting. It makes a world of difference. Our downtown Selby library here in Sarasota has a loop in the auditorium, and I enjoy going there so much for programs.

A problem I've had on ships, at concerts and in movie theaters is excessive volume, like at the dancer-singer production shows. The sound is so painfully loud that I take out my hearing aid, and at times it's actually hard for my dog to tolerate.

I do have volume control for my CIs, which comes in handy. I sometimes just turn my ears off if that is what needs to be done.

Thanks for adding your good input based on your work experience in a challenging field. Here's a link (includes another link I added about Celebrity Cruises), with some recent conversations on the forum about CART on board ships.

I attended a national Hearing Loss Association of America conference once and loved having CART. Fantastic service.

I have a friend who is active in advocating for Hard-of-Hearing people and knowledgeable about tech issues who has mentioned advances where people are actually offering remote CART services via computers. I think it has a way to go, but good that this service is progressing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2290649&highlight=cart

Thanks for adding your good input based on your work experience in a challenging field. Here's a link (includes another link I added about Celebrity Cruises), with some recent conversations on the forum about CART on board ships.

I attended a national Hearing Loss Association of America conference once and loved having CART. Fantastic service.

I have a friend who is active in advocating for Hard-of-Hearing people and knowledgeable about tech issues who has mentioned advances where people are actually offering remote CART services via computers. I think it has a way to go, but good that this service is progressing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2290649&highlight=cart

I clicked on the link to read more and realized that's a thread I started... Royal Caribbean will provide CART as will Celebrity but Carnival will not. The writer did a great job. Some locations like Studio B make it difficult to sit with the writer but it worked great in the theater.

Any questions, just ask. I have experience with both CART and ASL Interpreters on Royal Caribbean.

Remote CART is possible but in my mind it is a stopgap measure and live, in-person CART is much preferred. On a ship, remote would not work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Stmrocket, were you able to pre-select your interpreters for the cruise? If so, how did you manage to do that? If not, were the interpreters compatible with you?

They use an agency so I did not have the ability to pre-select specific Interpreters. The Interpreters they provided were very compatible with me. Additionally, they worked on ships frequently (and often together) so they already knew the ropes about interpreting in that environment.

They use an agency so I did not have the ability to pre-select specific Interpreters. The Interpreters they provided were very compatible with me. Additionally, they worked on ships frequently (and often together) so they already knew the ropes about interpreting in that environment.

I'm so glad to hear that the interpreters were compatible with you. It always makes me nervous getting terps sight unseen as there have been some I wasn't too fond of. When I called RC today, they told me that they use Care Vacation (agency) but when I looked them up on the website, it only shows that they provide equipment. I didn't see anything about interpreters so that was a bit odd.