whale watch in icy point or juneau?

kbcb4

We have done both and enjoyed both and I don't think you would go wrong either way. I think the decision is, if you didn't do a whale watch what else would you do in that port? In Juneau there are lots of things to do/explore, in ISP not so much. Based just on that I would do the whale watch in ISP and find something else fun to do in Juneau.

We just came back from our Alaska cruise on 7/22. My husband and I did an evening whale quest from 6pm to 9:30 in Juneau. It was wonderful. We came across a pod of humpback whales bubble feeding. We watched them for over an 1 1/2.

Was wondering the best place to go whale watching? Thanks

What would you do instead of whale watching at the two locations? (I ask because if you would like to ______ in Juneau, then save the whale watching for ISP or vice versa. A lot of people say there is more to do in Juneau, so save the whale watching for ISP.)

I whale watch in both. As suggested, figure out what you want to to, in each port. Hoonah actually has excellent lower cost, brown bear viewing that no where else does, without a flight. Put the whale watch where it fits your time best.

I whale watch in both. As suggested, figure out what you want to to, in each port. Hoonah actually has excellent lower cost, brown bear viewing that no where else does, without a flight. Put the whale watch where it fits your time best.

Hi Budget Queen, I have read so many of your helpful informative answers. I am interested in seeing the Bears. We supposedly, ( I'm on the Norwegian Sun) will be in Icy Point 31st August. What would be my best chance of seeing bears. ( If I don't see whales that's fine - just saw plenty off the coast of Sydney across the road from where my daughter lives) - but bears, we don't have them here.

Hi Budget Queen, I have read so many of your helpful informative answers. I am interested in seeing the Bears. We supposedly, ( I'm on the Norwegian Sun) will be in Icy Point 31st August. What would be my best chance of seeing bears. ( If I don't see whales that's fine - just saw plenty off the coast of Sydney across the road from where my daughter lives) - but bears, we don't have them here.

I've had very good trips with TECKK Outfitters. There are other vendors as well. I don't suggest the ship tour, since it's a fixed location. You are better off being on the move.

Was wondering the best place to go whale watching? Thanks

We had originally booked a whale watching tour in Icy. Then I came across Harv & Marv whale watching tours in Juneau. We were a party of 8 people and rented a boat all to ourselves. They also do small groups of 6 or 8 people on their other boats. If you're looking for a private experience then this is the company you're looking for. We had such a great experience and their crew is very knowledgable.

Like others have said there is not much to do in Icy and we heard people that did the whale watching excursion in Icy and said it was great. So again like others posted just figure out what you want to do in each port and take it from there.

It's always a crap shoot as to what you will see nothing is guaranteed :)

• 1 month later...
I've had very good trips with TECKK Outfitters. There are other vendors as well. I don't suggest the ship tour, since it's a fixed location. You are better off being on the move.

I second Budget Queen's recommendation. We had a great day with TECKK Outfitters last month. The focus was bears, but we also saw orca.

We have done both and enjoyed both and I don't think you would go wrong either way. I think the decision is, if you didn't do a whale watch what else would you do in that port? In Juneau there are lots of things to do/explore, in ISP not so much. Based just on that I would do the whale watch in ISP and find something else fun to do in Juneau.

Deleted. I replied the first time this came around. :)

Edited by TheCalicoCat