Interesting snippet from recent Eclipse cruise...

techwatcher

Thank you for making my point better than I did. Even if you had those dogs playing poker, who cares? Art is subjective and so is value. If I am willing to pay $XXX for that painting, then it is worth that much to me. If someone argues value/price I guess my response is, don't buy it for that amount. Buying it online eliminates the intrinsic value of telling the family "that is the painting your dad and I bought on the cruise."

As for jewelry, aren't diamonds a well controlled commodity? We are all getting ripped off when we buy one.

You made an excellent point. I just expounded upon it ;). To your point about diamonds, or any jewelry for that matter, try selling it for what you paid, regardless of how good you thought the deal was. Jewelry, stamps, coins, art, make money for the dealer, not the private investor. My rule of thumb, if I don't love it, don't buy it. It's value is little more than the enjoyment I receive out of it.

Edited by Goes Cruising

The reason the cruise lines want you to "register your purchase" when you re-board to get your "extended warranty" is that this is how they keep the promoted port shops honest. They know which stores owe them the 10%commission which is why they promote so heavily and relentlessly just ahead of the port stop.

The reason the cruise lines want you to "register your purchase" when you re-board to get your "extended warranty" is that this is how they keep the promoted port shops honest. They know which stores owe them the 10%commission which is why they promote so heavily and relentlessly just ahead of the port stop.

Very true.

ANY auction is looking for an emotional buyer. I have witnessed antique cars, furniture, horses:rolleyes:, and art work sold at auctions for most likely far more than it would sell for on the open market.

As others have said, it's no different than buying diamonds in the Caribbean. Anyone who approaches a major purchase without doing their research is destined to be taken advantage of.

Guess what? I have bought two works of art at auction, and one of them was on a ship. Both pieces really appealed to me, and I knew what I was willing to spend. I worked what I would consider to be outstanding deals on both. Let the auctioneer know I was interested, then let it go unsold the 1st time around. If the sale is slow, the auctioneer will allow for pieces to be called back up. That's when you stand a chance of getting a reasonable deal.

What is any art worth? What it is worth to you. In my case, I have two beautiful pieces by living/working artists who have some levels of recognition. I have no expectation either piece will ever make me rich, but then again, I don't ever plan on selling them. They are on display in my home, and I know the history of them and the artist. That's all that matters to me.

I don't understand why is is so important to people to call anyone who would sit at a ship auction a fool, or any of the other disparaging remarks that are constantly made about ship auctions. In addition to the auctions, the auctioneers sometimes give really insightful lectures about art and artists as well. If you are in the market for art, get to know the people involved and decide for yourself if they are worth doing business with.

If you are interested in art, the auctions and the process can certainly be more interesting than bingo. It is part of the cruise experience I sometimes enjoy, and there are no dogs playing poker hanging on my walls :rolleyes:.

Well said and thank you.

I love my Tarkay's and the framing prices are very reasonable.

I had an issue with a frame and Park West sent me a new print with frame immediately.