Interesting snippet from recent Eclipse cruise...

techwatcher

On our recent Eclipse cruise we were heading for Morning Trivia in the Sky Lounge, to find it set up for the later Art Auction. We got chatting about the art Auction to someone with stripes (position deliberately omitted) who commented that they only needed two buyers to make a profit - interesting...

On our recent Eclipse cruise we were heading for Morning Trivia in the Sky Lounge, to find it set up for the later Art Auction. We got chatting about the art Auction to someone with stripes (position deliberately omitted) who commented that they only needed two buyers to make a profit - interesting...

But not surprising. Amazes us when we see anyone with more than one cruise under their belt attending an art auction.

Cant say i'm surprised.. The art in general at all these things looks like it came from a factory , line producing garbage for discount stores.

Even when the artist is a actually someone you have heard of (very rare occasion) - its way below the standard and you often find its a set of 20 - 30 originals.

Sometimes it is amusing to watch the suckers that bid on this stuff.....

But not surprising. Amazes us when we see anyone with more than one cruise under their belt attending an art auction.

First time we cruised we went to the art auction to see what it was. Bad free "champagne" and over priced art. The auctioneer was trying to push the work of one artist saying he/she was going to be the next big thing. Prices were up in the thousands. Crazy.

Fast forward a couple of years. We were walking through the ship and stumbled on the art auction. The were just about giving away art by that same artist. We bought a small painting for $5.00 because my wife liked the colors. Pity the poor people who bought thinking it was a good investment.

Best advice----steer clear. Gin and tonic is a much better investment.

DH asked one of the auction staff who sets the appraised value for the art being auctioned-reply, " our headquarters".

About 15 years ago a neighbor bought a Erte piece while on a ship. She was so excited as it was valued at $2,000and she got it for $1,750 A few years later she decided to have the frame changed- of course it was actually a print which was worth about $150.

Me and hubby do like art and have bought a few limited edition / originals back home. Never spending more than a few hundred pounds at the most. On our last cruise we went to an art exhibition. I liked one of the limited edition prints. I asked what number of prints it was limited to.... the answer was 10000.

..... sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing.

If you want to read some interesting stories about the auctions Google cruise art auction along with one of the words scam, complaint or ripoff. Lots of bad experiences and stories.

Edited by Lsimon

If you want to read some interesting stories about the auctions Google cruise art auction along with one of the words scam, complaint or ripoff. Lots of bad experiences and stories.

I remember reading all that when it first came out and the art auctions suddenly disappeared from the ships.

l can't believe that a) Park West is still in business and b) RCCL and Celebrity let them back on their ships.

I'd be very wary of buying anything of value from a cruise ship. Remember, google is your friend.

On a recent trip to the Baltics I went to a talk about Carl Faberge as we were heading to St Petersburg and we wanted to visit the Faberge museum.

Predictably and disappointingly the talk soon moved from Carl and his amazing works of art to an apparent distant illegitimate relative who changed his name to Faberge and started making amongst other things 'Faberge eggs'. And guess what, you could buy the things exclusively onboard...

I mentioned this to our tour guide who found the whole story and sales banter somewhat hilarious, before trying to ensure that we didn't buy any as we'd be being well and truly fleeced. Not that we would.

Then you have the cushy relationship between cruise lines and Diamonds International. It makes me smile when they try and claim that they're the cheapest place in the world. We called into a shop just to browse, before the manager grabbed us and started the hard sell. When I mentioned that I only buy serious diamond jewellery for the wife from Blue Nile he backed right off and openly admitted that their prices were nowhere near as competitive for quality GIA rated stones.

We also visited tanzanite international where a manager tried to get me to buy a single stone. Just for a laugh I negotiated a price, it took me around one minute to get him down 45% on the asking price on a poor quality looking stone allegedly with a AA rating though the colour wasn't dark enough for that IMHO.

Cruise ships and considered purchases eh? Buyer beware!!!

You know what, the cruise lines are all full of crap - only interested in making a buck from unsuspecting guests. I can't stand the Diamonds International selling. I think people must be really stupid. They say how they're all duty-free with both watches and diamonds, exclusive only in the Caribbean. As a Canadian, I can't believe how dumb people are - all Swiss watches and Diamonds are always duty free in Canada. So big deal - you pay the local HST tax, but everyone knows the best diamonds in the world are from Canada, so why on Earth would you buy from the Caribbean? Save your money for another vacation!

I'd be very wary of buying anything of value from a cruise ship. Remember, google is your friend.

On a recent trip to the Baltics I went to a talk about Carl Faberge as we were heading to St Petersburg and we wanted to visit the Faberge museum.

Predictably and disappointingly the talk soon moved from Carl and his amazing works of art to an apparent distant illegitimate relative who changed his name to Faberge and started making amongst other things 'Faberge eggs'. And guess what, you could buy the things exclusively onboard...

I mentioned this to our tour guide who found the whole story and sales banter somewhat hilarious, before trying to ensure that we didn't buy any as we'd be being well and truly fleeced. Not that we would.

Then you have the cushy relationship between cruise lines and Diamonds International. It makes me smile when they try and claim that they're the cheapest place in the world. We called into a shop just to browse, before the manager grabbed us and started the hard sell. When I mentioned that I only buy serious diamond jewellery for the wife from Blue Nile he backed right off and openly admitted that their prices were nowhere near as competitive for quality GIA rated stones.

We also visited tanzanite international where a manager tried to get me to buy a single stone. Just for a laugh I negotiated a price, it took me around one minute to get him down 45% on the asking price on a poor quality looking stone allegedly with a AA rating though the colour wasn't dark enough for that IMHO.

Cruise ships and considered purchases eh? Buyer beware!!!

My daughter's best friend got her degree in art and one of her first jobs out of college was working for Park West on a Holland America ship. She did this for 9 months. Her stories, you just wouldn't believe.

Please people, do not do NOT buy from these people!!!

The same with ANY shop that the ship recommends. Many people just don't realize that the companies PAY the ship to advertise for them. The quality of the goods isn't there, either. I'm speaking from experience as one who did fall for the trap and didn't get a good quality piece. Lesson learned, I became a very proactive consumer and all the due diligence has paid off in finding legitimate deals. You can't just get the name of a shop though. You have to do your homework.

There *are* jewelry shops in the various ports where deals can be made. You have to find a local, or someone who is knowledgeable about it. Typically you can go in a place like Ballerina Jewelry (for example) in St. Thomas and immediately take about 75% or 80% off the stated price. Best is to email back and forth with them ahead of time and never mention price. Never mention the price point you want. Mention WHAT you want. I did this for two months prior to a cruise. He always asked me what I was wanting to spend. I skirted that question and just talked about what I wanted. There was no obligation, but he did make a couple things and send photos. It's a little game, sadly, but it is one I will play to get a deal.

I had a pendant made for me and it's gorgeous. We had never mentioned price, but I knew the quality he stated (and confirmed it with my loupe) and the wholesale price I should expect to pay. It was within $100 of what I thought. The stated price tag was about $6700.00 and I paid about $1800.

I took it to my home jeweler and his appraisal of the quality and the price really made me smile. He knows I am a lifelong customer, but he couldn't have touched the price.

Another thing that helps --- be knowledgeable before you get there. KNOW what a 2 carat stone should be of a certain quality, and what a 2 carat stone would be of a different quality. Know the differences in the carats for quality and bring along your loupe (you can get one at any online beading supply store for under $10) and know how to use it. Know what gems should be on the wholesale market, retail market, and put this to memory so you walk in as a very informed customer.

Just never walk into anything that has "international" in the name or that is on the "list" the ship gives you. Use that list as a where NOT to shop. Don't walk into a store that has an emblem of a cruise ship on the front door/window. It's just advertising to the naive. I wouldn't waste my time on port talks either.

Or better yet, shop at your hometown jeweler and art gallery.

Hope this helps.

As for art --- I purchase from a couple of my very talented artist friends and support them. It's a win-win and I KNOW what I'm getting.

Several year ago we were on a land holiday in Mexico. We visited the local town a couple of times and I looked at the prices of the jewellery in one of the shops.

A few days later we went into town and there were 3 cruise ships in port. In the windows of several shops there were signs welcoming people from the cruise ships and stating that there were special prices for people off the ships. at least 20% deduction off the advertised price.Well, I was a bit annoyed at that until I looked more closely and noticed that in the particular jewellery shop that had attracted my attention everything had increased by 30%. So, even after the deduction the prices were still raised from the normal price.

Next day - with no ships in port - the prices were back to the lower rate.

Several year ago we were on a land holiday in Mexico. We visited the local town a couple of times and I looked at the prices of the jewellery in one of the shops.

A few days later we went into town and there were 3 cruise ships in port. In the windows of several shops there were signs welcoming people from the cruise ships and stating that there were special prices for people off the ships. at least 20% deduction off the advertised price.Well, I was a bit annoyed at that until I looked more closely and noticed that in the particular jewellery shop that had attracted my attention everything had increased by 30%. So, even after the deduction the prices were still raised from the normal price.

Next day - with no ships in port - the prices were back to the lower rate.

Same thing goes when you go into town for a beer and snack ... the ones with the chalkboards listing the prices or no prices listed at all. It got to the point where we just told them we are staying in town. Our bills were always half the price that way. Just have to remember to never carry anything with the cruise's logo on it or they know. :eek:

I freely admit to not being even remotely knowledgeable regarding art or diamonds and have never attended one of the art auctions but did peruse the stuff prior to one on our last cruise. While I was looking one of the well dressed ladies approached to discuss the various works of art. Some of the pieces were obviously targeting people trying to find a specific color to match the couch, a gambling piece to put in a game room, or that "special" Thomas Kinkaid-esque cottage/Wyland-esque sea creature painting.

I guess I disagree with most. If someone wants to spend $XXX for an original piece, why not? As long as they do not believe the hype over investment, both art or the DI/Tanzanite junk, then they are paying for the experience and the ability to say, "we bough that on our cruise."

If someone wants to spend $XXX for an original piece, why not? As long as they do not believe the hype over investment, both art or the DI/Tanzanite junk, then they are paying for the experience and the ability to say, "we bough that on our cruise."

P.T. Barnum was a wise man. :D

ANY auction is looking for an emotional buyer. I have witnessed antique cars, furniture, horses:rolleyes:, and art work sold at auctions for most likely far more than it would sell for on the open market.

As others have said, it's no different than buying diamonds in the Caribbean. Anyone who approaches a major purchase without doing their research is destined to be taken advantage of.

Guess what? I have bought two works of art at auction, and one of them was on a ship. Both pieces really appealed to me, and I knew what I was willing to spend. I worked what I would consider to be outstanding deals on both. Let the auctioneer know I was interested, then let it go unsold the 1st time around. If the sale is slow, the auctioneer will allow for pieces to be called back up. That's when you stand a chance of getting a reasonable deal.

What is any art worth? What it is worth to you. In my case, I have two beautiful pieces by living/working artists who have some levels of recognition. I have no expectation either piece will ever make me rich, but then again, I don't ever plan on selling them. They are on display in my home, and I know the history of them and the artist. That's all that matters to me.

I don't understand why is is so important to people to call anyone who would sit at a ship auction a fool, or any of the other disparaging remarks that are constantly made about ship auctions. In addition to the auctions, the auctioneers sometimes give really insightful lectures about art and artists as well. If you are in the market for art, get to know the people involved and decide for yourself if they are worth doing business with.

If you are interested in art, the auctions and the process can certainly be more interesting than bingo. It is part of the cruise experience I sometimes enjoy, and there are no dogs playing poker hanging on my walls :rolleyes:.

Edited by Goes Cruising

It is part of the cruise experience I sometimes enjoy, and there are no dogs playing poker hanging on my walls

Thank you for making my point better than I did. Even if you had those dogs playing poker, who cares? Art is subjective and so is value. If I am willing to pay $XXX for that painting, then it is worth that much to me. If someone argues value/price I guess my response is, don't buy it for that amount. Buying it online eliminates the intrinsic value of telling the family "that is the painting your dad and I bought on the cruise."

As for jewelry, aren't diamonds a well controlled commodity? We are all getting ripped off when we buy one.

We've bought a lot of art on cruises. However, we only collect Disney art and for the most part know what it's selling for on land and what range we are willing to pay. We use to only do Disney cruises and were pleased to discover that Disney art sells more at the bottom of the price range on other cruise lines. Win for us. :D