Explorer of the Seas Review Jul15-July22 2016

Let me start by saying this was the first time my wife and I have cruised and been to Alaska.

We started out not knowing what to expect. But thanks to some wonderful people on here we had a vague idea of what we were in for. I never expected the level of service from our State Room attendant Arleen and the entire staff at Royal Caribbean. From the moment we arrived at Pier 91 until we disembarked we were treated like royalty.

Day 1. We arrived at the pier for embarkation at about 1030. Not knowing what to expect. we checked in, checked our bags and proceeded to board our ship. How ungodly tall this ship was.. I just stared in amazement. we were greeted by ships staff with cameras for the obligatory picture which was corny but fun as well. we were told that if we wanted something to eat the Windjammer was open for lunch and If we wanted something to drink the pool bar was open.. It was such a beautiful day in Seattle we just decided to hangout on the pool deck where we encountered our first hiccup. We paid in advance for the Premium Package, when I went to the bar for a beer they tried to charge me. I explained that we had the package. They said that we had to go to guest services on deck 5 and have a sticker put on our sea pass card. Not a big deal.. did that and the charges were reversed instantly. Back to the pool deck to meet people and people watch. At precisely 1pm the public address system came on and told everyone that their cabins were ready.. It was a mass exodus to the staterooms.. We were in cabin 7634 (superior ocean view balcony). I was actually amazed at the size of our stateroom.

Luggage arrived at about 430 pm which was nice since I needed my swim trunks and my wife needed her swimsuit.. Off to the Solarium we went. Hanging our in a hot tub (and boy it was hot) sipping cocktails as Seattle disappeared into the background was the perfect way to start our Vacation.

The first night we dined at chops.. Very great service. and a plethora of sides.. Our steaks were cooked to the exact temp we requested.. (I like it rare my wife likes it mid).

Day 2 at sea.. We found trivia.. We found the solarium again :) Our first experience in the MDR. We had My time Dining. I donned a suit and my wife actually put on a dress :) how cool was that? The menu was on par with what I would to expect.. We had fun dressing up.. Our Servers Aldis and Jeffery totally made us feel welcomed and catered to our every need.. I rocked out 4 or 5 different salads and almost had no appetite for my entrée. we wound up at the Schooner bar on deck 4.. Derek Conlon is an excellent piano player.. Just a fun night to meet some more friends.. Friends Jean and I will have for life...

Day 3.. Juneau

Loved this town.. We didn't book an excursion though RC.. We opted for Harv and Marv's What an experience.. Captain Brandon took us everywhere in search of whales.. OMG.. it gets loud.. Hearing the "blowing off" is an experience in its own right. We saw Mendenhall Glacier from the roadside and they let us get out and take pics before taking us back to town.. In town we did a little bit of shopping and had a cocktail or 2 and the Red Hook Saloon.. Staff were nice and the singer/guitar player was funnier than most comics I've seen.. Back on the ship for Burger night at the Windjammer (since we missed our reservation in the MDR). After being out all day it was nice just to grab a quick bite in our shorts.. We sailed away from Juneau and vowed that we have to return..

Day 4.. Skagway..

This is where problems began.. We booked the gold panning, dog sled camp, and The White Pass Railroad through the ship.. I wish I would have read the fine print since we didn't know that it was a round trip and who would have foreseen that the locomotive would have broken down.. The gold panning was fun and touristy.. The dog sled camp.. Only 100 feet away was more than entertaining and the puppies were adorable!! The locomotive broke down just over the bridge on the Skagway River. Granted it was hot that day (85F).. but people started vacating the train immediately.. Had a problem with a few passengers, but that all got ironed out.. I should watch my mouth more :). The scenery was awe-inspiring.. The problem I had was people "hogging" the rails and not taking pictures. Lots of rude kids. Back in town we had a few pints of Alaska's Amber Ale.. it just made everything better.. lol.. All in all a 5 hour excursion took 7 hours.. No other time to really do anything else..

Back on the ship it was time for a quick shower and off to the MDR for dinner.. how wonderful it was.. Our servers Jeffery and Aldis made the night for us. I guess the breakdown just made us have more fun :)

Day 5.

Tracy Arm Fjord and Dawes Glacier

If you have never experienced this its a sight to behold.. Emerald Green water, a few seals and a full 540 degree turn of the ship so that everyone could see the raw beauty of one of natures masterpieces. We were within .7 miles of Dawes got some beautiful shots and then it was time for breakfast.. The sheer beauty from our balcony is something we'll never forget.. you can use any explicative you want but it should be the 8th wonder of the world. Heard a bit of calving on the glacier which echoed throughout the Fjord. What an amazing experience!!! Our balcony more than paid for itself :) Another formal night in the MDR.. Dressed up again.. More than worth it.. It was our turn to see the Ice show.. how incredible these performances are.. I couldn't believe it.. RCCL does a great job with talent..

Day 6.

At sea

Lots of whales and a bunch of jellyfish off the portside of the ship.. Trivia, air hockey, miniature golf and a beautiful sunset.. I thought to myself many times that I'm so lucky to have experienced all of this.. The serenade by the staff in the MDR was fantastic.. so much fun..

Day 7.

Victoria BC

What an awesome surprise! We had no excursions.. No plans.. No expectations.. We got off the ship and asked a volunteer where to start. She suggested Fisherman's Wharf. So we went .. Holy Crap.. Seals, Boats, Water taxi's, and the most polite people I have ever met. Fisherman's Wharf is a gem.. Even the people that own their houseboats are as friendly as you could ever hope for.. We took a water taxi to the inner harbor. Had Poutine out of a food truck!! Yummy!! Got on the double decker bus for a bit.. Then decided to walk around town.. Its rich with culture and history.. When we go back.. Ill make sure to do more.. It was just a blast to relax!!

Day 8.

Time to go home..

With that we experienced, It was time to get off the ship.. Almost got emotional as we were leaving the Explorer of the Seas.. We did the self assist disembarkation and were off the ship by 730am.. Made it to the airport in no time.. Our flight was delayed.. but we made the best of it..

Synopsis..

We will sail this ship again.. The staff deserves an ovation.. My wife said to include the best shopping ;) (Kate Spade 1/2 off lol). This ship has a lot to offer you.. Sometimes you just have to look for it.

Thank you for your recap! We will be on this ship in 2 weeks and I can't wait. How was the weather? I saw your mention of 85 degrees one day, was this consistent? I know that the weather in Alaska is unpredictable and that I should dress in layers, etc., etc., but I'm having a tough time narrowing down what to pack.

It seems like you and your wife had a great time, I hope to do the same!

Thank you for your recap! We will be on this ship in 2 weeks and I can't wait. How was the weather? I saw your mention of 85 degrees one day, was this consistent? I know that the weather in Alaska is unpredictable and that I should dress in layers, etc., etc., but I'm having a tough time narrowing down what to pack.

It seems like you and your wife had a great time, I hope to do the same!

I don't think that 85 is normal that time of year in Alaska.. Mid 70's is about the norm.. I took a rain jacket and a north face fleece and I was fine. You'll probably need them for sea days as the wind gets pretty intense sometimes..

So glad to hear your first cruise was such a success! We will be on the Explorer to Alaska next August. She is one of our favorite ships....we sailed on her many times when she was ported in Bayonne, NJ. We were on her during the Hurricane Sandy cruise and the staff and crew went out of their way to make everything comfortable for us. They even opened up the Internet and made phones available for free in the conference center so people could check on their family and homes and make alternate travel plans. We can't wait to board her again!