Trip Report: Summit to Bermuda, 31/07/16 - 07/08/16, Newbie perspective

Dreamer68

You are too funny, Dreamer 68! :) Unfortunately, no, we did not get the things you mentioned. There was a blue cheese souffle as an appetizer one night and many of us ordered it. It was awful! It had no taste at all. Blue cheese has a strong flavor so you'd expect a little "punch" of flavor in your bite. Well, it was totally bland with no flavor of anything at all.

I finally wrote my review and posted it here on CC if you want to read my experiences.

And, yes, I'm a bit of a food critic since I love to cook and I've been published twice in cookbooks. ;)

When my hubby and I went on our Mediterranean cruise 15 years ago on the inaugural sailing of the Golden Princess, souffles were on the menu every night. I miss that!

Ooohhh! Published!! You are a celebrity!!! Yes, pun intended. :) Our blue cheese soufflé was salty and that was the extent of the savoury part. I ordered it because somebody was making a soufflé and it wasn't me. :D So sorry you did not get the few other specialities we got. Gosh, now I feel really, really blessed!!

Your experience on an inaugural sailing must have been exquisite. Very, very hard to reach a bar that has been set so high, I imagine. We were trying to figure out how to do Europe with the kids with the currency exchange not in our favour and boutique hotels being costly and a friend suggested a Mediterranean cruise. Needless to say, I had a Du-uh moment! So, that is now on our bucket list. Or, as DH puts it, the kids can backpack with friends on their own when they are at university like we did and then it'll just be the 2 of us. ;)

Will settle comfortably with a cuppa after work this week to read your review. I've been looking forward to it. Take care.:)

PS AnnetteSC - also wanted to say that when DH and I went on our first cruise on Holland America a gazillion years ago "sans kids", they had one flaming dessert every night in their MDR. And, one waiter would be assigned to about 4 to 6 tables to flame up the desserts right there for those who chose the flaming desserts. Ooohhh.... the Bananas Fosters, the Cherries Jubilee, the Crépes Suzette and there was the parade of flaming Baked Alaskas. Our waiter then, identified my sweet tooth AND my fascination for these fiery specialities and actually brought me a serving of every flaming dessert as of the 3rd evening even when I did not order one as I was conflicted by the fabulous dessert menu and could not bring myself to order TWO desserts per night. LOL!! In those days with HAL, no tips were required...but boy, the service was so stupendous that you just HAVE to express your appreciation to all these hardworking folks who provide guests with a great holiday, y'know?

I did not get to see my Cherries Jubilee nor my Baked Alaska being torched before my eyes on the Summit BUT I survived that teensy moment of disappointment and smiled anyway when dessert arrived. :D