Trip Report: Summit to Bermuda, 31/07/16 - 07/08/16, Newbie perspective

Dreamer68

Maybe I missed it, but who was your Cruise Director and what did you think of him/her?

Hi sasset,

Our Cruise Director was Eddy Jenkins. HILARIOUS!!!! I came away with loads of #lonelywelshman anecdotes. Lots of forum people have their own favourites. Good for all of us. This was my first Celebrity Cruise and Eddy had me in stitches often. So, if there are lots of CDs that are mentioned more often and more well-loved, I'm just goin' on up from here. :D

Sadly, this means naught for you because Eddy was leaving the Summit the same time as us. He's moving on to another ship....what was it...the one out of Southampton...Eclipse? Equinox? An E-name. He mentioned his replacement but I did not catch the name. Sorry!

Eddie tagged team well with his co-hort, Luigi.... there was a Love & Marriage thing one evening after the evening entertainment (fashioned after the Newlywed Game) and one of the couples was an adorable senior couple (Jerry & Nelda) ....together with the funny answers from Jerry, Eddie had us cheering "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" throughout the cruise, even till the very last evening. :D :D :D

Save

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and your beautiful pictures!

It came just in time as we are boarding the Summit tomorrow morning for our 3rd trip on her to Bermuda!

Glad your trip was a memorable one!

Good weather to you tomorrow, Debbie, and for the rest of your sailing! Thanks for enjoying my review and photos. Blow some kisses for me to Bermuda. I hope I get to go back.:)

Dreamer68: Thanks for the awesome review! I am also sailing on the Summit on the 28th. My second time on the Summit, yet this will be another repeat visit to my favorite island. Glad you enjoyed Bermuda! Bermuda usually takes a piece of all out hearts!

Thank you, TPCRUISER2. I now TOTALLY understand how people keep returning to Bermuda. And hey, getting there on the Summit is like icing on the cake. I think people got the message that I enjoyed my vacation tremendously!:D Fair weather to you as well as you sail on the 28th. I'll be thinking of all you folks while I am at work. :p .... :)

Save

Save

Thank you so much for posting this! MY DW and I will be on the Summit going to Bermuda very soon and your information is very informative, entertaining and helpful!!

Thanks Brewster! So glad you caught my humour! :D Enjoy Bermuda with your lovely wife!

Save

That was a really nice review. I am glad you fixed the pics because I could not see the thumbnails. Your picture are gorgeous and I would have been sad to miss those.

I like that your family broke out the Catan. Always fun .

That was a really nice review. I am glad you fixed the pics because I could not see the thumbnails. Your picture are gorgeous and I would have been sad to miss those.

I like that your family broke out the Catan. Always fun .

Thank you, tinkr2. Appreciate the feedback. Glad you liked my photos as well. I did not enlarge the earliest ones on the first page (photos of sailaway day)...you think I should? I just did not want to hog this space, y'know? Although, when you think about it, this IS ... MY review, right? Hahaha! They were just photos of the New York skyline, what we saw from the pool deck and one of our cabin....if you'd like to see them, I will post larger photos.... I see you are a Norwegian fan. I hope to try one of those too, one day. :)

PS - so pleased somebody else recognize the Catan. :D

Edited by Dreamer68
punctuation

Oh. Emm. Gee!! SBtS! I bow to your supreme excellence! :D Your advice and maps and schedules on various boards helped me TREMENDOUSLY in planning our trip. I understand now how you and others like Charles4515 and many more return to Bermuda time and again. I do hope to return but if that road does not come back to me, I am completely satisfied with what our family got to see and do on Bermuda.

Thank you for those kind words, you're making me blush.

SBtS

Loved the pictures from Summit. I saw my Absolute favorite, Ruby Red on the shelf. Loved it last year on Infinity and can't wait to enjoy my vodka/pink grapefruit juice cocktail on Summit. Really appreciate your review and photos!

Thank you so much for this fantastic detailed review!!! We are leaving this Sunday and this is getting me SO excited!! The big question that my kids are asking....do they do towel animals?? We sailed NCL last year and coming back from dinner to the towel animals was a highlight for them! I wasn't sure if Celebrity did them or not...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathski viewpost.gif

Thank you so much for this fantastic detailed review!!! We are leaving this Sunday and this is getting me SO excited!! The big question that my kids are asking....do they do towel animals?? We sailed NCL last year and coming back from dinner to the towel animals was a highlight for them! I wasn't sure if Celebrity did them or not...

Hi kathski,

Glad you enjoyed the review. There's a whole lot more in my head...not sure what people want to know about....so I just wrote about what was foremost in my mind. As for towel animals....my kids had a separate cabin some distance away and I do not recall them being excited about towel animals. By the time I saw their room daily, one or both of them would have already made themselves comfy on their nicely-made beds. :) I don't think there were any done for them BUT, the stewards in their area were as nice as the ones in mine and you could totally ask if your steward would be able to do them for your kids. My impression of the crew on the Summit was that they cared about their ship and therefore cared about their guests. Have a lovely time!

PS - just be aware that the Summit does not have all the bells and whistles in terms of teen/kid-friendly stuff like rock walls, water slides etc. like the NCL Breakaway going to the same port....and yet, I did not see any upset kids on my cruise. Supposedly there were at least 500 of the young'uns below 18 onboard our cruise.Everybody loved the ice cream bar at the Oceanview Café. I paired my mango cake with a mango sorbet from the bar....and could not resist a bowl of chocolate ice cream and peanut butter ice cream served with a peanut butter cookie. I shared a photo here. LOL!!

Thank you so much for this great review and all the photos and info. I wonder if I can bug you on a few more things, as we leave this Sunday and can't wait:

1. are there hairdryers in the bathrooms?

2. was it very hard to get seats for the evening shows as I hear they fill up fast

3. did it take long to disembark in Bermuda upon arriva;? Just wondering how much time I should allow to get somewhere that first morning.

Thank you so much!

Dina

Thank you so much for this great review and all the photos and info. I wonder if I can bug you on a few more things, as we leave this Sunday and can't wait:

1. are there hairdryers in the bathrooms?

2. was it very hard to get seats for the evening shows as I hear they fill up fast

3. did it take long to disembark in Bermuda upon arriva;? Just wondering how much time I should allow to get somewhere that first morning.

Thank you so much!

Dina

Hello Dina,

No prob!

1. Yes, there are hairdryers in the room. Only basic ones though. My girlfriend is partial to her hair and therefore hair "support" and brought her own hairdryer. I am a wash and wear girl and was FINE with what was provided. They also provide you with an umbrella (we did not use it although before we left, rain was forecasted for all 3 of our Bermuda days) AND a simple Celebrity (cheap canvas material?) tote bag we we used for our towels and water bottles for outings.

2. Our dinners were at 6:30 pm and we were normally done by 8:15 pm. We'd saunter in to level 4 of the theater between 8:30 and 8:40 pm and yes, two-thirds to three-quarters of the seats would already be taken. Bear in mind and that you and I are traveling during school holidays. The ship was fully booked my week. Our Cruise Director, at the end of each evening show, would invite us to the following evening show, always mentioning that the "best seats are at the early show".

3. Disembarkation....I left the boat at 10:30 am that first morning and it was a breeze (coz lots of people already left. LOL!!!) Honestly, because of research and not being able to guarantee weather and unforeseen emergencies (there were medical ones on ships just weeks leading up to ours that required them returning to Bayonne..), I chose to book my fishing trip for 1 to 5 pm that first day instead of doing the 9 am to 5 pm.Furthermore, I knew that the Breakaway with 2000 more passengers than the Summit would be docking a half hour earlier than us.

I think most experienced forum contributors will tell you everything'll be irie (oops...sorry, that's Donovan again, coming through...LOL)....that first morning. If you are simply taking the bus or shuttle to Horseshoe Bay for a beach day, you'd be fine getting off any time. IF you have a tour out of the Naval Dockyard area, you'd be totally fine getting to a 9:00 am start.

On my first day, my disembarkation was delayed a bit coz I MISSED the part about bringing a photo ID with you when you leave the boat so hubby had to run back to our cabin to pick up all our passports. AND ...we walked and walked looking for Deck 1...and found some parts of Deck 2 did not connect by regular stairways to Deck 1....long story....go find the glass elevators to get to Deck 1 to disembark AND don't forget your photo IDs! :)

LASTLY, pick up a Bermuda info sheet as you leave the boat (they have them right there, just before you get your Sea pass scanned before yo uleave the boat...just found mine while unpacking....it has coupons for decent deals in Bermuda...my girlfriend and I got a few free items. Will post as soon as I scan it.

Oh and coming back in, after they check your passports/photo id....the Summit has fruit infused waters and cold towels set up just before you re-enter the ship. Love, love, loved that on 90 degree Fahrenheit days in Bermuda.

Opened to more questions. :)

Thank you for those kind words, you're making me blush.

SBtS

SBtS, I don't know how to make those jumping up and down laughing face emojis but hopefully, you can see this response. LOL!!Thanks again for all that you share on these boards. If you can tell me the name of that beach my family ended up at during our walk from Warwick to Horseshoe, I really will be feeling like this photo from Wayne's World. It was not the first beach just north/east of Horseshoe but the second one. :) There was no name on that particular beach on the aerial view photo of the walking trail which you posted.

WaynesWorld_zpscmhywvf1.jpg

Edited by Dreamer68
direction

So, I'm still unpacking...(reality is so hard to return to....) and guess what I found? Made me smile!! No, I am NOT lame. I have found that life is easier when I find joy in small things. :D

DSC_2174_5293_zps6kt6enmk.jpg

And found this somewhat crumpled up in a pocket somewhere.... this is the information sheet you can pick up as you disembark the ship at King's Wharf. Information is like gold to me so of course, I zoomed in on this as I walked off the boat. Turns out, there were some pretty nice deals on this info sheet. Please note that the 2 for 1 Bermudian Rum Cake is for the store that is inside the Clocktower Mall and was not accepted at the Bermuda Rum Cake Factory that shares space with the Dockyard Glassworks. I managed to get a cute glass Whistling Tree Frog glass figurine for free (coz I only went on the last day, du-uh....) and my girlfriend (more on the ball than me) got a free freshwater pearl bracelet...see where on the sheet....obviously NOT Crown Jewels quality but hey, a nice, FREE reminder of a lovely stop on Bermuda.

BermudaInfo1_2_zpsv2mxsqmb.jpg

And this is the reverse page where the deals are found.... we did not have time for the mini-golf at Bermuda Fun Golf but it WAS on my original list of things to do... :)

BermudaInfo2_2_zpszkjcpr1q.jpg

Thank you. We love your review. Next May will be our 9th Bermuda visit and you have described some new adventures we had not considered and we would love to try. Was Overproof Charter in Somerset Village the fishing outing you enjoyed?

Hello again, Bery,

This one is for you. I have never posted a video on a forum. I hope this works. This is my son, worried yet thrilled to bits about reeling in his second fish. Worried because it (the fish) was a biggie for him, his dad had to help (inconspicuously) with his rod a wee bit...and thrilled because he managed to bring it in. We seriously had a very nice time with Capt. Baxter and his son. I think you might have to click on the image to be taken to the actual video. Only about 10 seconds long...or less. :) My hubby has done deep sea fishing on various vacations and enjoyed the big "fights" with the real big fish of the ocean....but he too, gave this outing 2 thumbs up.

th_DSC_1845_zpslpregcv4.mp4

I realize that most passengers for this cruise are FROM the NY/NJ area and so might not care much about a couple of these photos but I'm posting them anyway because I appreciated the sight of the NYC skyline as we sailed. Sadly, Capt. Alex did not do what we heard Capt. Kate does somewhat regularly, which is to sail right by the Statue of Liberty so I could only wave to Lady Liberty from afar.

This photo is the family checking out the view from our balcony. We had a Veranda cabin, Deck 8, port side, forward.

DSC_1510_5294_zpseknrmskt.jpg

And I am thankful that it stopped raining before we actually pulled away from Cape Liberty. Still somewhat shadowy day but at least I got to see NYC this little bit.

DSC_1525_5276_zpsaq9rc2lb.jpg

and this one of One World Trade Center....

DSC_1518_5070_zpsbvb3swc2.jpg

Son was intrigued that there was a machine gun on the Coast Guard boat...

DSC_1524_5275_zpsc6zfduvd.jpg

There was also a helicopter that flew by us...

DSC_1547_5078_zpslkccacas.jpg

Don't know why but I love this shot of DD with the chopper in the background.

DSC_1549_5079_zpsoezua3qf.jpg

SBtS, I don't know how to make those jumping up and down laughing face emojis but hopefully, you can see this response. LOL!!Thanks again for all that you share on these boards. If you can tell me the name of that beach my family ended up at during our walk from Warwick to Horseshoe, I really will be feeling like this photo from Wayne's World. It was not the first beach just north/east of Horseshoe but the second one. :) There was no name on that particular beach on the aerial view photo of the walking trail which you posted.

Here is a more detailed photo originally posted 7/13 by member hamlettm (who also posted Big Mikes Guide to......). Do you have a photo of the beach in question?

bermuda_best_beach.jpg

SBtS

Here is a more detailed photo originally posted 7/13 by member hamlettm (who also posted Big Mikes Guide to......). Do you have a photo of the beach in question?

bermuda_best_beach.jpg

SBtS

Goodness gracious! I think you did it! You got me the name to our beach! *We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"...

Here's a pix of it, looking straight out at it....

DSC_1955_5192_zpswnav8gn9.jpg

And so, this would be looking out towards the sea, but to the left side, i.e. direction of Warwick Long Bay...

Bermuda30_zps9q7eg4df.jpg

And this next one down here, would be looking towards the right, i.e. direction of Horseshoe Bay...

Bermuda31_zpsiietyagz.jpg

And I am quite sure, I sat relatively close by in the shade of this thing, taking photos of my family... there was already a lady camped right under this in her own foldable chair...

DSC_1958_5193_zps6pkarxvu.jpg

Does this make our beach the Water Rocks Beach?? When I asked someone along our beach if Horseshoe Bay was far, she pointed out some people atop some rocks at the end of the next beach over and she said that Horseshoe was beyond that piece of rock. Does that make sense?

I wrote so much that I can't seem to find the link to the Google docs I created for copies of the Kids' Club and Teen Club activity sheets....

So here's the link for those interested -

Kids' Club 1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54UuJHl8HiZaHlua2QzcFpxQ3M

More Kids' Club - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54UuJHl8HiZZ3I4MnpVenU3NUk

Wow, I picked up more stuff than I thought! :) Kids' Club (a 3rd age group, I think) - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54UuJHl8HiZODdUNWd3dGtSRlk

Teen Club - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54UuJHl8HiZSV9XbDlVY19yX2s

Loved the pictures from Summit. I saw my Absolute favorite, Ruby Red on the shelf. Loved it last year on Infinity and can't wait to enjoy my vodka/pink grapefruit juice cocktail on Summit. Really appreciate your review and photos!

Thanks for the kind words, kay0522. Note to self: if my intolerance to alcohol subsides, be sure to try Ruby Red in a "vodka/pink grapefruit juice cocktail" !! :D

Today, I went back to look at your photos again. In post #63, you captioned a photo with the question - Wonder how much it costs to stay here? I can tell you that the photo is of the former 9 Beaches Resort, and from BermudaAttractions.com: in 2010 the resort charged $2176 for a couple for Coco coral cabana for 4 nights during the high season. The low season (Jan - March) rates were lower. The other cabana types come at higher rates.

It closed a few years ago for redevelopment and was scheduled to reopen in 2015 but that did not happen. 2017 is next reopening date.

9BR is located at Daniels Head west of Somerset Village.

SBtS