Emetophobia....

AmandaNS

This will definitely sound like a crazy post for folks who haven't heard of it. Believe me, I thought it was crazy, until I realize it explains a lot about some of the things I do. :D

Emetophobia is a fear of vomiting. Sounds odd, eh? Actually, it's the 4th largest phobia in the world, right up there with heights, water, etc (not sure what the other one is that comes before it). Anyhow, this can be a fear of getting sick yourself, or being around someone else who's sick.

I first read about this, and the lights started going on one by one. When I was little, I remember being so scared I was going to get sick, and when I did, I was terrified. It's supposedly caused by some childhood trauma, although I can't think of anything in my past. I still haven't gotten over it. As soon as I feel sick, I take something, then pace around and worry about whether the meds will work in time. When there's a stomach flu going around, I do nothing but worry and wash my hands. If I'm around someone who gets sick, I start to panic and want to run. For some people, this fear is so severe that it interferes with everything they do. I'm not at that point.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a "see how messed up I am" post, but rather a question to see if there's anyone else around this board who feels the same way since it's such a common occurance (not really common, but not rare, either). One of the hardest vacations that many folks with this problem could take is a cruise... you're stuck on a ship, can't "get away", and the chances of a bug making its rounds, while not any higher than on land, seem higher. Throw in rough seas and seasickness.... I took my first cruise last year without even thinking about it, but I know it's hard for others. And it's hard to talk about... not everyone understands, and it's not polite dinner conversation!! :eek:

Maybe no one will respond to this post, but maybe someone will, and maybe that person will feel better!! Can't hurt to try! :)

No, I've never heard of this phobia before, but I hate throwing up, because it hurts so much.

I'm pretty sure this phobia can probaly be treated like any other.

There is no such thing as the stomach flu, the flu is an upper respiratory infection. When you have vomiting and diarrhea, you have gotten a virus caused by contaminated food, its origination mostly from poor hygiene and/or improper food handling. Or from door handles, bathroom fixtures, elevator buttons, counter tops, buffet ladles, the list goes on. Anywhere in the world you go that other humans have been, so just leaving the house can be terrifying for some. Hand washing is important, but there is no 100% guarantee the little bugs won't find you!

Your best bet would be to seek out a relaxation therapy to help you when you start to panic.

Happy KS, it may not be technically called the stomach flu but its an acceptable nickname. People get your drift real fast when you say "I can't come to work-- I got the stomach flu".... nuff said, no details thank you! :p

I don't have a full blown phobia but I do fear being in a trapped environment and that someone around me will get sick. I have a strong gag reflex, too, so someone can just make the gagging sounds and I'll get nauseous.

But as far as myself getting sick-- sometimes when I feel really awful, I can't wait to start chucking, 'cause i always feel better afterwards.

Why do I get hung up on that phrase? I know what people mean, but it does drive me crazy when, for instance, someone is sick 20 miles away and you hear about the "stomach flu" going around.

I work with special needs children and we have one in our classroom who starts to gag the moment we introduce food in front of him. It does pass, though and he's actually one of our best eaters. But, there are times when people who don't know him come in and are surprised and very concerned there is something wrong with him. I guess you couldn't be around him!

I had no idea this phobia has a name - it's good to hear from someone else who suffers, you have my sympathy.

I have the fear of other people being sick version - have had some therapy, but I still get very tense in 'closed in' places.:mad:

Travelling on trains, buses, planes is difficult - I'm constantly imagining the worst, the rattle of a paper bag makes me jump. Tranquillisers are a great help.

Strange thing though - I love cruising:) I figure ships are so big there is always somewhere I can escape to. Haven't experience really rough seas yet, although last year on Carnival Paradise Panama crossing we were avoiding two hurricanes, and it was rough enough for 'the bags' to be placed all over the ship. This did not worry me, so I'm ready for the next adventure - Sydney to San Francisco 28 nights in April on the Diamond Princess.

Flying back to Australia from LAX - 14 hours - now THAT is scary :D

Hilary

I am a psychotherapist and yes I have treated people with that fear. It is real and for people with this phobia scary. They live in constant fear that it will happen if they try something new. It also leads into washing there hands conatantly due to fear of getting a virus. Phobias can be life altering in so many ways.

I have to tell you that I do suffer from this to a lesser degree. I cannot STAND to throw up and will do everything in my power not to. I do breathing exercises and just concentrate with everything I have until the feeling passes.

To be honest I haven't thrown up since I was 12 years old and I am now 29. It doesn't bother me too bad to hear or see someone doing it, I'm more concerned with myself. I'll be going on my first cruise next September (first plane ride too) and I'll be sure and be prepared with Bonine or one of those accupressure wristbands. I just hope I don't get air or seasick... it will be one of those constant fears I'll always have I'm afraid. Thanks for bringing it up though, I bet more people have this than they would like to admit or think about.

Shanny

Oh my god! I thought I was the only one in the world who had this fear. I alwys refer to it as "vomitphobia". We're leaving on our cruise in one week and I have purchased ginger candy, ginger gum, dramamine, sea bands, and lots of Pepto Bismol to take with us. Last time the sea bands seemed to work, but we had great weather then. I'm a bit nervous with all these hurricanes still happening but am determined to have a good time!

Well, this is kind of neat. Not that others are suffering, but that there are others who responded with similar experiences, and still others who are understanding. I posted this a couple of days ago and no one responded for a while... I was hoping that folks wouldn't think I was nuts!!! I had no idea that anyone else felt this way, either, and it's embarrassing for me to talk about, not to mention something that people don't want to talk about anyway.

I was laughing at some of these responses 'cause they sound just like me... jumping at a rattling bag, hating being in a closed-in environment, taking more tummy meds than shoes on a cruise (:D), worrying about it, breathing exercises. While it feels overwhelming to me at the time, no one else has ever noticed it (I'm 27 and have lived in university residences (drinking binges in common bathrooms... :eek: ) and had roommates). My DH knows about it, but that's about it.

We were cruising with DH's parents last year, and they were telling us about one cruise they were on where the norovirus was going around, and they had put *the bags* out in the dining room because people were getting sick so suddenly they didn't have time to get out of the dining room. I looked at them and said, "AND YOU SAT THERE AND ATE??". Yup, they had a great meal. Ugh. Shudder.

I'm hoping that hearing that other people feel this way will help others who are in the same boat (no pun intended :)).

Oh, bluepowder, you'll be fine. My first flight, and our first cruise, I was a bit concerned about myself, but I know that I just take meds as soon as I feel "off". You'll do great.

BTW, I'm in Pugwash (NS)... where in NB are you? We could start a support group.... :D:D

There is no such thing as the stomach flu, the flu is an upper respiratory infection. When you have vomiting and diarrhea, you have gotten a virus caused by contaminated food, its origination mostly from poor hygiene and/or improper food handling. Or from door handles, bathroom fixtures, elevator buttons, counter tops, buffet ladles, the list goes on. Anywhere in the world you go that other humans have been, so just leaving the house can be terrifying for some. Hand washing is important, but there is no 100% guarantee the little bugs won't find you!

Your best bet would be to seek out a relaxation therapy to help you when you start to panic.

Stomach Flu (Viral Gastroenteritis)

What is stomach flu?

Stomach flu is a viral infection that affects the stomach and small intestine. It is also called viral gastroenteritis. The illness is usually brief, lasting 1 to 3 days.

How does it occur?

Many different viruses can cause gastroenteritis, including rotaviruses, adenoviruses, and the Norwalk virus. Gastroenteritis is caused by swallowing one of these viruses. The body fluids of infected people contain the virus, sometimes even before their symptoms begin. The virus can be spread by direct contact with an infected person (for example, kissing or shaking hands) or by sharing food, drink, or eating utensils.

The virus enters the stomach and intestine and inflames the lining of these organs. As a result, the stomach and intestine are temporarily unable to perform their usual functions. The virus can also cause food to move more rapidly through your gastrointestinal (GI) tract.

Some bacteria, parasites, medicines, or other medical conditions can cause infections that have symptoms similar to those of stomach flu. If your symptoms are unusually severe or last longer than a few days, your health care provider can determine if the diarrhea is caused by a virus or by something else.

What are the symptoms?

When you have stomach flu, you may have one or more of the following symptoms:

• <LI class=crsli>nausea <LI class=crsli>vomiting <LI class=crsli>stomach cramps <LI class=crsli>diarrhea <LI class=crsli>mild fever <LI class=crsli>fatigue <LI class=crsli>chills <LI class=crsli>loss of appetite
  • muscle aches.

The illness may develop over a period of hours, or it may suddenly start with stomach cramps, vomiting, or diarrhea

wisefamily, thanks for the, um, lovely description. :eek: I think the confusion with the term "stomach flu" happens when people use the word "flu" to describe it, and "the flu" is actually another illness altogether.

bluepowder, I know exactly where Quispamsis is... we have friends who live in Kingston and we go there often. Our first cruise was out of Tampa, and we flew down from Halifax through Boston and New York. This time we're sailing out of San Juan... a bit more pricey. We're flying to Ottawa first to visit with in-laws, then Ottawa to San Juan through Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale. Back through FLL and ATL to Halifax.

I'm glad some folks can relate to this thread!!!

Archived