Carnivals Wild Mushroom Soup

babs275

Ah, the soup! Sometimes it's great, sometimes it is wretched.

On the Ecstacy, it was incredible, on the Glory, it was nasty, as if they used water or non fat milk for whole milk, on the Victory it was good but cold. I hope, oh I hope, that it will be right on my New Years cruise on the Glory. I told my wife today "Order it and hope for the best".

I'd like the recipe for the mushroom rice they serve with the lobster. My family hates it, I love it! I end up with all that rice- lucky me!

• 5 years later...

I got this recipe from the Carnival Funville site. I hope it's what you are looking for. It doesn't say how many it serves though.

2 cups warm water.

3/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms*.

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter.

1 cup chopped onion.

1 cup chopped peeled carrots.

1/2 cup chopped leek (white and pale green parts only).

22 ounces fresh wild mushrooms (such as crimini or stemmed shiitake), sliced.

1/2 cup dry white wine.

4 cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth.

1 cup chopped peeled russet potato.

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried.

1 bay leaf.

1/2 cup whipping cream.

Chopped fresh parsley or chives.

*Dried porcini mushrooms are available at Italian markets, specialty foods stores and many supermarkets..

print a shopping list for this recipe

Preparation

Combine 2 cups warm water and dried porcini mushrooms in small bowl. Let mushrooms soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove mushrooms from liquid. Squeeze excess liquid from mushrooms back into bowl. Strain 1 cup soaking liquid into another small bowl, leaving any sediment behind.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and leek. Sauté until vegetables are tender and pale golden, about 10 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and fresh mushrooms; sauté until mushrooms are tender and brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in porcini and wine. Cook until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add 4 cups stock, potato, thyme, bay leaf and 1 cup reserved porcini soaking liquid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potato is very soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return soup to pot. Mix in cream. Bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before serving, thinning with more stock, if desired.)

Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

• 4 years later...
Pulled out (and dusted off) my Carnival Cookbook. They had the recipe for Cream of Brocoli, Cream of Asparagus, Navy Bean and Minestrone but no recipe for the Mushroom:(.

I know this is an old post, but perhaps yourself or someone else has recipe for the Minestrone Milanese soup?

(Also looking recipes for the Sugar cookies that are light brown they serve on lido buffett and Blue Iguana watermelon/jicama salad from salsa bar.)

I know this is an old post, but perhaps yourself or someone else has recipe for the Minestrone Milanese soup?

(Also looking recipes for the Sugar cookies that are light brown they serve on lido buffett and Blue Iguana watermelon/jicama salad from salsa bar.)

Ask JH on his fb page