Monarch of the Seas - don't go

I agree completely with you ccletzgo. It has turned into a party ship and my guess is that many of the crew are "stiffed" each week with reduced or zero tips. We always tip well and fill out our comment cards. We are considerate cruisers. We never cut in line, always leave our cabin in good condition for the steward (not messy people) are cheerful to staff and other guests and rarely complain. I am a die-hard cruiser and this will not change my opinion of cruising in general. I liked one of the comments above about leaving the mattress in the hallway for the hotel director to see :) Now that we are back home, I wish we would have done more but at the time, we just didn't have the energy. For those of you who go on Monarch frequently and love it.... I think that's great. I know two people can go on the exact same cruise and have two different experinces. I did send RCI an email noting the issues. We are Platinum Members in C &A and RCI is still our favorite line. I wish things had been different but I think noting your experiences on this website helps others to make choices.... and I think there are better choices than the Monarch.

I agree with everything you said. I heard people actually say they did not go to the dining room so they did not pay tips. We only went once on the Sovereign due to a strange mix of table mates but still tipped the full amount.If everyone tipped and respected the crew, service might be much better on all cruises.

Wow, so many negative remarks about the Monarch - going in July myself. I guess one has to look at the value. I do not expect perfection on an older, smaller ship. We are not paying much at all for this cruise either! For under $500 I guess I lower my expectations versus paying double that.

Satisfaction is all in the expectations I think. After reading all the negative posts and for the price I'm paying, I have lowered my expecations. I'm assuming I'll be satisfied with our experience - but if the ship smells of sewage, I won't be a happy camper. That's where I draw the line. Ick!! :cool:

Still looking forward to this reunion cruise with extended family - that's what it is about for me. :)

My husband and I went last Dec. 05 and we had a great time. The food was good. We really enjoyed ourself's. I am not allowed any Gluten and they were great, they even made me special food. I really don't understand all the neg. comments. The price was 500.00 for 2 and we got to see 3 ports and relax and not have to cook. We would go again. We never smell anything bad.

Leaving for another cruise this Friday on the Golden Princess:D

We're the anniversary couple that upgraded to the Grand Suite-1532 - the cruise was great! Well worth the extra $$ to upgrade...we had great weather despite it being Feb.

Our bathroom did smell from bleach every morning - maybe the ship deodorizes with bleach during the night? And I only used the public restroom once and it smelled pretty bad, also. Our toilet clogged on the last day, but it was fixed within 2 hours.

Food in the dining room was excellent - but the Windjammer's food was a little boring. We were sent a "treat" every night - suishi, petit fours, cheese platter to our suite...

The ports were fun - since we're from Calif. we've been to San Diego, Catalina and Ensenada, so we didn't expect much. The only negative was in Catalina when one of the tendering boats broke down and we had to wait in the freezing cold for an hour to be picked up. The captain said he would make it up to all the passengers by throwing a bar-b-que on the deck the next day - with free Bahama Mama's and Screwdrivers. Funny thing was that they had little or no alcohol in them - I drank three and never felt a thing! (and I'm a lightweight).

All in all it was a great trip - a wonderful way to spend an anniversary..and thanks to all of you who encouraged us to upgrade...I'm so glad we did because life is just too short not to enjoy it to the fullest!

I just got off the Monarch this morning. It was a great cruise. This was my sixth time on the Monarch. I live in southern California so it's very convenient. I did not smell any bad odors. However, in the past I smelled a particular odor near the air conditioning unit area only. Basically, the ship looked good. The crew was great (no complaints about anyone). The food was great. I did not see any problems. Embarking and disembarking were a breeze (San Pedro pier which may have the worst pier). Of course, California needs a much bigger ship. These short cruises sell out quickly and constantly.

Archived