Monarch of the Seas - don't go

I am going on this cruise in april. I have a few questions-

How rocky is the boat?

Which part of the boat is least rocky?

How is the teen club?

And how formal for teens in formal nights?

All these reviews are making me think of switching my cruise, tell me what to do.:)

I am going on this cruise in april. I have a few questions-

How rocky is the boat?

Which part of the boat is least rocky?

How is the teen club?

And how formal for teens in formal nights?

All these reviews are making me think of switching my cruise, tell me what to do.:)

I am going next week. If you don't get the answers you want I will try to help when I return. I expect to have a great time.

Jim

Dude and Jim,

I was on her on the 4-night Dec 12th sailing. I don't have kids, so I can't answer your "teen" question. The Adventure Ocean program was on our deck (10) and I have to say that the kids I saw, going and coming, seemed happy. As for "formal," I found that the Monarch was not nearly as formal as what we saw on the Vision and the Radiance. When DH and I were on the Radiance, the teenaged boys at our table wore nice shirts and ties, and they were perfectly presentable.

As for the rocky part, mid-ship is always the least rocky part of the ship. We were in JS 1062, and found that it was fine.

However, it's really not a very rough trip, at any place. My cabinmate has an inner ear problem and she did just fine with the TransScope patch. The only time she had a problem was on the last night, when the ship is sailing back from Ensenada to LA and, probably, going at a faster speed. Honestly, I have always had a problem with motion sickness (the front passenger seat has my name on it, whenever we travel in the car) and I never had the slightest problem.

As for switching your cruise, I really encourage you to go. The Monarch is the smallest ship I've been on (see my signature), but it's very cozy and comfy. I'm planning to take my parents on her, sometime this spring. I hope you'll give her a chance.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You can also check out the Reviews that have appeared on this Board in the last month or so.

Dude and Jim,

I was on her on the 4-night Dec 12th sailing. I don't have kids, so I can't answer your "teen" question. The Adventure Ocean program was on our deck (10) and I have to say that the kids I saw, going and coming, seemed happy. As for "formal," I found that the Monarch was not nearly as formal as what we saw on the Vision and the Radiance. When DH and I were on the Radiance, the teenaged boys at our table wore nice shirts and ties, and they were perfectly presentable.

As for the rocky part, mid-ship is always the least rocky part of the ship. We were in JS 1062, and found that it was fine.

However, it's really not a very rough trip, at any place. My cabinmate has an inner ear problem and she did just fine with the TransScope patch. The only time she had a problem was on the last night, when the ship is sailing back from Ensenada to LA and, probably, going at a faster speed. Honestly, I have always had a problem with motion sickness (the front passenger seat has my name on it, whenever we travel in the car) and I never had the slightest problem.

As for switching your cruise, I really encourage you to go. The Monarch is the smallest ship I've been on (see my signature), but it's very cozy and comfy. I'm planning to take my parents on her, sometime this spring. I hope you'll give her a chance.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. You can also check out the Reviews that have appeared on this Board in the last month or so.

Thanks for the tips, our room is on deck 2 towards the center. Is it any better up then down? I went on the pride in july and the boat rocked a lot, and all i was prepared with was bonine, not the wristband. Afterwards i bought the wristband and have been plan to wear it on cruises in the future.

I have heard that this ship has shown its age well. Can you give some examples of that.

Also i heard about some sewage problem? Was this while you were aboard?

Sorry if it seems like i am beating you with questions LOL :)

Beachdude

Thanks for the tips, our room is on deck 2 towards the center. Is it any better up then down? I went on the pride in july and the boat rocked a lot, and all i was prepared with was bonine, not the wristband. Afterwards i bought the wristband and have been plan to wear it on cruises in the future.

I have heard that this ship has shown its age well. Can you give some examples of that.

Also i heard about some sewage problem? Was this while you were aboard?

Sorry if it seems like i am beating you with questions LOL :)

Beachdude

I have always felt the lower you are and the closest to center the better for motion.

Jim

No problem. I'm not smart enough to answer the physics question, but it would seem to me that the lower you are, the less movement you have (on side-to-side rocking). By all means, if there's a rocket-scientist out there, who knows better, correct me.

As I mentioned, I was on her in December. You probably know that she's scheduled for Dry Dock and some sprucing-up in January. Since you leave in April, you'll get the "new and improved" version. I've read complaints about the curtains and carpets being worn. Honestly, it's a cruise. I'm there for the fun activities ... well, and the chocolate buffet ... I don't go around looking for tattered corners on the upholstry. My cabin was lovely - no complaints. Well, one complaint: the put the room safe in the oddest place - in the closet, near the floor. The other ships I've been on had the safe in the cupboard above the TV, which was much more convenient (than getting down on hands and knees). Hopefully, that's something that will be addressed, because I did notice that the key pad on the safe was pretty worn. (I've heard that safes are only in the SO and above, so you may not have to deal with them, anyway).

As for the sewage issue, my friends in an interior on Deck 5 said that they smelled something in the hallway. When I visited their cabin, I noticed a slight smell. Not at all obnoxious. Otherwise, I did not notice a problem - except for the really big smell in Ensenada Harbor. Don't blame the ship for that, though.

The oceanview and interior cabins are really small. You should be prepared for that. My friends pulled one of the pads off the wall (sort of like padded chair railings), and used the anchor for the pad as an additional shelf. It's kind of hard to explain; but the lack of storage space required some innovation.

Hopefully, Moe will still be the CD, on your cruise. He was great! Don't forget to go to Quest. It's always a highlight of the RCI cruises.

I think you'll be fine. Wear your wrist band and if you need something extra, you can get Bonine, free, at the purser's desk. Don't hesitate to ask any question. I had such a good time on the cruise, that I don't mind talking about it.

It depends on rough the ocean is. California had high surf advisories most of December. The race back to LA from Ensenada is always the rockiest part of this cruise. In October we had a lot of banging, creaking and swaying in our cabin on Thursday night. In July, we had a different cabin, and it was very smooth...and quiet.

The first 3 nights of the 4 day cruise, the ship doesn't really go much of anywhere and it is generally calm. The captain usually parks somewhere on Tuesday night before arriving at Catalina on Wednesday. :)

We did the Monarch last January and found it to be a very pleasant experience. We had no sewage smell, we had no problems with the ship rocking, we found the staff to be highly competent and very professional. There was constant cleaning going on. A totally pleasant experience.

Formal means exactly that, formal. Tuxedo or dark suite and tie wether on a cruise or dry land, the definition doesn't change, nor does it mean something else for teens, tweens, adults, seniors, whatever.

That being said I have never been to a formal event where everyone in attendance was dressed formally. On the ship there are other options for dining such as one of the buffets or even room service.

You will have a great time!

Thanks for all the info, here are more questions to pound in

Are there ping pong tables?

Does windjammers serve lunch breakfast and dinner if u dont want to go to the fancy restraunt?

I should be good with the weather now, now to worry about other things:rolleyes:

Also, did anyone try the surfing in san diego? And is it worth it or not.

Does windjammers serve lunch breakfast and dinner if u dont want to go to the fancy restraunt?

I should be good with the weather now, now to worry about other things:rolleyes:

I don't recall ping pong but there was basketball on the outside deck and there is a small video arcade.

Yes, you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Windjammer. The Windjammer is not bad but keep in mind it is buffet food. I do encourage you to go to the nice dining room at least once for dinner, we find it to be quite a nice dining experience.

May I also suggest room service for breakfast. From out first cruise we weren't impressed with the breakfast offerings much and found we ate croissants, bagels, smoked salmon, yogurt, fruit and maybe a little bacon and juice and coffee. So we figured fight the crowd and have ever since enjoyed a quiet, leisurely breakfast in our robes in our cabin.

Don't know about surfing, we didn't get off in San Diego

I don't recall ping pong but there was basketball on the outside deck and there is a small video arcade.

Yes, you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Windjammer. The Windjammer is not bad but keep in mind it is buffet food. I do encourage you to go to the nice dining room at least once for dinner, we find it to be quite a nice dining experience.

May I also suggest room service for breakfast. From out first cruise we weren't impressed with the breakfast offerings much and found we ate croissants, bagels, smoked salmon, yogurt, fruit and maybe a little bacon and juice and coffee. So we figured fight the crowd and have ever since enjoyed a quiet, leisurely breakfast in our robes in our cabin.

Don't know about surfing, we didn't get off in San Diego

Another question:

How were the shows?

I was on disney and they were fantastic

and i went to carnival pride and they were terrible

If Monarch is like Sovereign, and they ARE sister ships, there will be ping pong. I saw much activity there - often in use.

Windjammer serves food almost continuously. Breakfast moves right into lunch into afternoon snacks into dinner, with little or no closing time in between. I have now eaten dinner in the Windjammer three times and found it a VERY VERY pleasant and delicious experience. On this last trip, my assistant waiter from the first cruise was sent to the Windjammer at dinner for my second cruise. He was delighted to see me eating there twice and just couldn't do enough for me, even though their job up there is really NOT to do too much for you directly. (and he loved our tips)

We were on the Monarch in April of 2004, we had a great time and, in fact, booked again for that summer. We've cruised Carnival 3 times (just got back last week from the Paradise) and three times on Princess (have our fourth booked for July of this year). Our sons, then 18 and 14, had fun on the Monarch - climbing the rock wall, enjoying the port cities, enjoyed the Dueling Piano show..... The weather was great and the ship wasn't crowded at all.

We booked a very front cabin, and woke up by the anchor dropping on port days - but it gave us a giggle as we wondered if there was an earthquake! I always wear my accupressure wrist bands the first 24 hours to keep from getting queezy, no matter where out cabin is.

Relax and have fun!

There is pizza in the Windjammer. Actually, it's up the spiral staircase from the main serving area of the WJ. I didn't much care for it, but my piece had been sitting under the heat lamp for awhile - not much demand for the veggie. DH liked the pepperoni, which had come straight from the oven. So timing is everything.

I don't think RCCL's pizza is as good as Princess', but I've read here that others prefer RCCL, so it's a matter of taste (duh). The crust on Princess is thinner & crisper, which appeals to me more. Maybe they turn it over faster or something, but I just like it better.

There is pizza in the Windjammer. Actually, it's up the spiral staircase from the main serving area of the WJ. I didn't much care for it, but my piece had been sitting under the heat lamp for awhile - not much demand for the veggie. DH liked the pepperoni, which had come straight from the oven. So timing is everything.

I don't think RCCL's pizza is as good as Princess', but I've read here that others prefer RCCL, so it's a matter of taste (duh). The crust on Princess is thinner & crisper, which appeals to me more. Maybe they turn it over faster or something, but I just like it better.

Is it 24/7 though, because we are planning to let them out late since it is break.

Yup - Monarch is like SOS and she does have ping pong tables. I will also say that we had a outside cabin deck 8 aft, and the waters were not typical of the pacific the sailing right after Ladylawyer's cruise. Smooth sailing all the way through. I did find the 3-day too partyish, but I chalk that up to the holidays.

The ship itself is very lovely. The teen club was great for the teens, the crew had special activities and late night parties. From the younger ones in our pack, it was a great way to meet other kids, and they all looked like they were having a great time.

Rumor at present, but maybe after the drydock. They do serve great pizza upstairs at the Windjammer. Apparently I enjoyed it quite a bit. Quite by coincidence, I enjoyed a few martinis and seemed to have forgotten eating! Oops, I guess that would explain the extra few pounds!

Oh yeah, it is open quite late too - AND, the cookies at the Ben and Jerry's are to die for! YUM - now those I remember!

Rumor at present, but maybe after the drydock. They do serve great pizza upstairs at the Windjammer. Apparently I enjoyed it quite a bit. Quite by coincidence, I enjoyed a few martinis and seemed to have forgotten eating! Oops, I guess that would explain the extra few pounds!

Oh yeah, it is open quite late too - AND, the cookies at the Ben and Jerry's are to die for! YUM - now those I remember!

My kids want to know about the arcade, is it big small, tiny, ect.

From a good authority there is two arcades. One is small and one was medium...let's just say, mom's credit card had a few charges on it! Be sure to let the purser's desk know how much you want to limit the kids to on the sea pass cards.

The rock climbing wall was a hit too! It was a better wall than I have seen on the Vision class ships - nice suprise.

From a good authority there is two arcades. One is small and one was medium...let's just say, mom's credit card had a few charges on it! Be sure to let the purser's desk know how much you want to limit the kids to on the sea pass cards.

The rock climbing wall was a hit too! It was a better wall than I have seen on the Vision class ships - nice suprise.

Is the rock climing free?

Michelle jogged my memory and I do recall the ping pong table now!

I didn't care for show we went to, it was the guy who wrote and sang the "Happy Days" theme song. I found it quite cheesy and we got up and left. Keep in mind I am a creative professional so I do have a bit of an artsy, snooty air and am not easily impressed, others may have enjoyed him quite a bit. I did very much enjoy the showing of "Shrek 2".

The pizza is just ok, maybe a step or 2 above frozen pizza I went more for the sandwich meats when we ate in the Windjammer. One night they some pretty decent Indian and Asian food. I don't think the kids will be hurting for plenty of things thy will enjoy. The Jade I believe it was called, is a sushi bar and is a very good one at that. It does cost extra though.

I can't remember if the pizza was 24 hour but you can definitely get something to eat 24 hours a day.

I would say the arcade had maybe 10 games in it. I would not count on the internet cafe as a means of entertainment as it is quite expensive.

Archived