Monarch of the Seas - don't go

It was sewage smell coming out of the drains in the Schooner bar, Eric. That's why Derick kept pouring bleach down them. It's not a big deal, though. It is slightly off setting and occaisional. We really like the ship and the crew, we've always had a nice time, overall.:)

The "odor" we experienced the entire week was definitely sewer. I would love to hear from someone who has recently stayed in the JS 1060.

###

I am sure there have been a few occasions where the plumbing has backed up on Monarch of the Seas. It happens everywhere and there is no avoiding it. However, I am confident that many of the reports of a sewer oder that we get around here are not quite accurate. The oder is/was slightly similar in a way so I can understand the mistake. In my experience the oder was not bad enough to affect my vacation. I am not trying to discredit anyone's experiences, I am just putting out my own. Until this time I had pretty much experienced this oder on all other ships except Monarch of the Seas, seriously. This is not a big deal to me because I see it as unavoidable. I have two choices, either stop cruising, or take the chance of a slightly unpleasant oder a few minutes out of the week. I have made my decision.

To wind it up, There is nothing on Monarch of the Seas that smells worse then some parts of Ensenada.

It was sewage smell coming out of the drains in the Schooner bar, Eric. That's why Derick kept pouring bleach down them. It's not a big deal, though. It is slightly off setting and occaisional. We really like the ship and the crew, we've always had a nice time, overall.:)

Mmm nothing like the smell of sewer gas and bleach while sipping a martini!! If I am not mistaken, both produce harmful fumes.:o

pbhunt, Thanks for the great photos! I'm on the Monarch on 12-12, so it was a nice preview of my upcoming cruise. I noticed there were no photos from Ensenada. Did you get off the ship at that port? I grew up in So Cal, and used to be a camp counselor on Catalina, but I may pass on Ensenada (there are some bad memories that involve Hussongs Cantina and a bottle of tequila :eek: ).

Oops! Ignor this post. It was supposed to be posted in response to a different topic. Slam308-I'm not familiar with this reward system. How many points do you have to earn for a cruise? I assume this is similar to airline ff miles, where you earn 1 point for every $ spent? TIA, Kathy

Thanks for the info. I am relieved about the formal night-don't know where I "read" that it was Thursday. Once again we have found the information on these boards to be invaluable. Kathy

Unless, for some reason, the Monarch has changed formal nights on the 4 night cruise, it was always on Tuesday.

Also for the person that asked about cost of travel in San Diego to the Zoo, the least expensive way is to catch the bus. The bus stops about a block from the cruise ship terminal. You need exact change and I believe that it's $1.25 per person, less for seniors. I don't remember the bus number, but you could check on the internet. Also someone at the shore excursion desk should know.

Captain Lindegren is due back from vacation around January 12 to the 15th. He will be taking the Monarch into drydock about one week later. My DH and I are looking forward to being back aboard at the beginning of March.

You're right. We've been to Ensenada many times. We didn't get off in July. We used it as an onboard pool day, instead.:)

Same here...The only reason I usually get off ship in Ensenada is to go to Papa's & Beer for a few margaritas and wild time! 3 weeks ago I didn't get off the ship at all. I used that as my "spa day"...slept in late, had a massage, sat in the spa....just relaxed ALL day. It was GREAT!

I have been to Ensenada Many times. I have done everything that is possible to do there. However RCI is now offering a few new shore excursions during certain parts of the Year. So when I go back to Ensenada in February, I think I will try the wail watching. And hey during summer months they now offer kayaking. Ha, won't be doing that one anytime soon.

Hey Eric,

We kayaked through the kelp forests off Catalina last year. We're not 'water' people, living here in land-locked Western Canada. I wouldn't have missed this for the world though - you want to experience the real 'freedom' of the seas? Try bobbing in the middle of it on an eight-foot piece of flat yellow plastic...TOTALLY EXHILIRATING!!:D

Hey Eric,

We kayaked through the kelp forests off Catalina last year. We're not 'water' people, living here in land-locked Western Canada. I wouldn't have missed this for the world though - you want to experience the real 'freedom' of the seas? Try bobbing in the middle of it on an eight-foot piece of flat yellow plastic...TOTALLY EXHILARATING!!:D

I too have kayaked through the waters of Catalina. You are right it is great. I just wouldn't want to do it in Ensenada. I have seen that water, no thanks.

Eric,

What excursions did you like in Ensenada? Have you done the winery tour? I can pass on the "shopping" experience and LB does not really impress me (been there, seen that), so the winery seems like the best possibility to get me off the ship.

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! ~ Lorna

Categories SO and higher have friges and safes, the categories below SO have neither of these 2 things.

I think the smell everyone talks about when in Ensenada is coming from Ensenada itself and not the ship. There is a fish processing plant near the shiop dock that STINKS!! When driving into Ensenada from San Diego it's unbearable to pass by this area. I've been on the Monarch several times and will be going again twice in Dec and never smelled any sewage smells on the ship. I've stayed in cabins on decks 2,3,4,6,8 and 9. I'm also on the ship on a regular basis taking clients on ship tours/lunches while she's in San Diego on Tuesdays and again have never smelled anything unpleasant while walking the cabin hallways and public areas.

The Monarch is a perfect ship for the 3/4 night market and by far the best option for those on the West Coast as the Paradise doesn't even come close to this ship in service, food, decor etc.

I believe you are right RDeagazio about the odor being something to do with Ensenada. The only time we had a problem with it was when we were docked in Ensenada. It seems as soon as we pulled away, the odor was gone. Which reminds me of the first time Hubby and I took our first cruise to Ensenada in 1983. We did the "city tour" and one of the first things the tour guide said, jokingly, was "Welcome to Ensenada! In English, Ensenada means 'Port of Many Smells'.

The only thing is....I've been on the LA to Ensenada cruise about 10 times, about half on Carnival and half on RCCL and I don't recall ever having the odor problem while on the Carnival ship.

Soooo...is it really Ensenada...or is it the Monarch? Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Eric,

What excursions did you like in Ensenada? Have you done the winery tour? I can pass on the "shopping" experience and LB does not really impress me (been there, seen that), so the winery seems like the best possibility to get me off the ship.

Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! ~ Lorna

I just did the winery tour. It was nice. I would say it is a good tour that gets away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Ensenada. It is truly a low hassle tour. You don't have the people asking you to buy things. There is a little walking but it's not to bad. You tour two wineries and at the end of each you get to try the wines. I would recommend it.

Sorry, I can't really say what to do in San Diego. I live to close to really know what to do there as a tourist. The one time I went on the four day cruise that stops in San Diego I just stayed on the ship. I would look at the excursions and see what you're interested in.

Eric, another question. What excursions do you like for San Diego? Thanks for your time!

If you haven't been to San Diego before, you need to go see the zoo. If you just get a cab there, you can see the zoo and then go off and explore Balboa Park and all its museums on your own. The zoo is definitely fun for all ages.

The Zoo is a wonderful choice, we love it there. The Old Town Trolley is good if you're not familiar with San Diego, just don't buy the ships excursion, they have a charter trolley that doesn't stop and let you off. Right outside the cruise port is a stand where you can buy tickets and board. They also have an online site with discounts. www.trolleytours.com - I think this may have been mentioned in this thread already, pardon me if I'm repeating myself or others ;) .

We're off on Monarch this morning, I'll report back any odors and maybe have more info on the wineries, we might go there this time!

Thanks, so much, for all your advice on SD tours. I'm originally from Newport Beach, so I've been to SD, but not really as a tourist (other than the trips to the Zoo, when I was a kid). State Bar is in SD every few years, so mostly I know the hotels around the Bay and Horton Plaza, of course.

Eric, thanks for the recommendation on the winery tour in Ensenada. I decided that I'd stay on the ship if the tour wasn't a good one. Sounds like it's worth a try.

I'm going with a person who also goes to SD, fairly frequently, but also not as a tourist. It might be fun to check out some of the "spots" on the Trolley. I appreciate the link, Kathy. Also, I'll be looking forward to your "smell review." Have a fabulous cruise! I'm on in just over 2 weeks. ~ Lorna

We sailed on Monarch in September. We had a blast in spite of many of the little nuisances we experienced while on board. We had the worst cabin steward ever (and I even tipped him $20 up front on day 1 of a 3 day cruise and told him there would be more at the end of the cruise). I smelled the "sewer gas" smell (or whatever it really is) everyone is referring to and it, well, it was stinky. The ship was very well worn. Other than our cabin steward, everyone else was SO very nice (much moreso than on some of our previous cruises) and attentive -- spa personnel, wait staff in the dining room and Windjammer, bar tenders, etc...

Bottom line: Monarch needs a little Botox and some nip/tuck. And, sometimes you just end up with a "dud" for a cabin steward. Just remember, when your cruise is handing you lemons, simply ask for tequila and salt and start making your own kind of music! :D

Archived