Changing POA cabins through TA in Aust

Newcruisers5

I was wondering if anyone has tried to change/upgrade/move cabins, after final payment, through their Travel Agent in Australia?

We are sailing the POA in a month and have booked two Oceanview cabins. There are 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kids) and when we booked initially, one room for all of us was well over $15K. So we went with two rooms. I can now see an Obstructed View 1 Bed Family Room for $2500 less than what we paid for the two rooms.

I would much rather this option to keep us all together. I rang NCL Aust and they refused to deal with me, saying I had to go through my TA. When I asked the TA, they wanted an additional $1500 on top of what we had already paid - that would make it $4000 more than the price I can see on NCL.com! I am even happy to not have a refund of the original fares paid, just give up two rooms for the larger 1 bed room.

Has anyone had any experience similar to this and what was your outcome? How did you go about dealing with NCL? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I am not familiar with how things work with AU but my first question is are you saying it cost more for you all in one room so you went with two?

In the US, yes, if you book with a TA you have to deal with the TA and NCL won't deal with you. The only exception that seemed to arise this year or late last year was if you wanted to do an upsell you could contact NCL directly.

There is a regular poster from Australia so maybe they have some knowledge.

Edited by dexddd

Thanks for your reply. Yes, when we originally were looking at rooms, prices etc it was more expensive for the single, larger 1 bedroom family room. It has since gotten a lot cheaper!

Thanks for the info about the TAs, it does seem to be the same here....

Seriously I think you might be better off with the 2 cabins because you will have 2 bathrooms and more space. Trying to cram everyone into the OV will leave you without much floor space and if its set up as a trundle bed you will have one big bed on the floor and 2 pullmans from the ceiling. Wall to wall people.

I was on POA last year, and booked through a TA. The prices went down considerably, and my TA was able to arrange (after final payment) a change of rooms (upgrading) at no additional cost. I ended up in the second largest suite that POA had, for what I had booked a two bedroom aft suite for.

So, yes, you can change rooms, and yes, your TA should be able to help you.

Thanks again for all the advice and replies.

Ismalismom, are you in Aust? My TA is trying to charge me more to upgrade so I would end up with the same amount I was trying to avoid.

I might try ringing her again.....

So I think why you are having issues is because you are cancelling a room after final payment. If you were already all in one room, and were trying to upgrade to a larger room because of a price drop, you'd have no issues. You currently have two rooms, you now only want one - you will be paying penalties on the room you are going to no longer be needing and then paying the cost difference of the larger room for the remaining original OV.

I think....lol

Thanks again for all the advice and replies.

Ismalismom, are you in Aust? My TA is trying to charge me more to upgrade so I would end up with the same amount I was trying to avoid.

I might try ringing her again.....

There might be a need to change TA next time.:(